Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Nobody cares about doing a good job or providing a good experience, they care about optimizing for statistic X and Y because they are being judged against the entire workforce on those stats.

It's pretty loving stupid and I can't wait until we get over this "statistics phase" in business. Analytics do not give you insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Most of the managers or soon to be managers I met in grad school had absolutely no idea what the metrics in a supply chain model were actually measuring.

Make the abstract number you don't understand go up, up, up ( or down). They also utterly fail to understand systems and fixate on single metrics, often the ones they have a bare grasp of (rather than the ones they don't understand at all)

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
watco
g&w
anacostia railholdings

are there any other big shortline holding companies or shortlines worth looking at? further advancement within my company is looking pretty lovely and im getting annoyed with how dysfunctional the organization is.

i thought about amazon but the way they treat the employees really depresses me. ups promotes from within so thats out. trucking doesn't pay as well as what i already do. i'd like to avoid working at a port because dealing with longshoreman is terrible. im not boxed into working for a railroad but i like operations type jobs.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I've heard Watco is pretty decent overall, but nothing specific.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

George Zimmer posted:

I've heard Watco is pretty decent overall, but nothing specific.

my dad works for watco after a short stint at florida east coast. he likes watco a lot but i wouldnt want to follow him there for a variety of reasons.

vains posted:

watco
g&w
anacostia railholdings
omnitrax
iowa pacific

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Guess who got TDG classes bingo today? :getin:

:suicide:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I got a weird question. Let's say someone has been working as a banker for several years and is getting increasingly frustrated with being in finance. If they were a good salesman would there be any crossover with logistics? What kinds of questions would that person encounter in an interview?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If your operating costs are 50 cents per mile, how would you price a 500 miles back haul?

Given a voyage where you can load 29,000 MT, a two day load time, three days transit and one day unload, with port costs at 12,000 load and free discharge, assuming a ballast leg of one and a half day 50% of the time and a target TCE of 25k per day, what would you offer the customer? What if the customer needs to move 110k tons per years, over ten months?

Operations just told your customer their pick up is going to be a day late, what do you do?

I don’t know. I’m an operation guy :shrug:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

After the crisis I saw Lehman and Bear Stearns guys working as ships agents for a while. None of them lasted.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

BrandorKP posted:

After the crisis I saw Lehman and Bear Stearns guys working as ships agents for a while.

Holy poo poo.

For reference, I’ve been working in shopping for over ten years, and I’d take another job scrubbing puke off of ferry decks before I did that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

If your operating costs are 50 cents per mile, how would you price a 500 miles back haul?

Given a voyage where you can load 29,000 MT, a two day load time, three days transit and one day unload, with port costs at 12,000 load and free discharge, assuming a ballast leg of one and a half day 50% of the time and a target TCE of 25k per day, what would you offer the customer? What if the customer needs to move 110k tons per years, over ten months?

Operations just told your customer their pick up is going to be a day late, what do you do?

I don’t know. I’m an operation guy :shrug:

Math? Gross. I'll stick to finance.

• Locked thread