Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I accidentally deleted a folder containing 600 mb of photos and videos from my Samsung. Google turns up some incredibly suspicious sites with direct links to .exe's. I've tried a few pieces of software but it seems like they either want me to root my phone or turn on mass storage -- and mass storage seems to be impossible with the newest Android update. Does anyone have experience with recovering deleted files on a smartphone? It's a Galaxy S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
This is not possible, once the pictures were deleted the flash memory that held them was erased pretty much immediately. On older devices and harddrives you had a chance to recover the data before it was overwritten, but this isn't how things work anymore.

Edit: Actually, to confirm, you are talking about photos stored on the SGS3's internal memory, NOT a MicroSD card, right? Deleted files ARE recoverable from the MicroSD card but not from the eMMC memory. File recovery became impossible in KitKat and later for supported devices.

Bonus Edit: This was also more of an Inspect Your Gadgets question, but I own an SGS3 and am pretty familiar with how the storage subsystem works.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 5, 2015

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Thanks for your reply. Sorry 'bout the wrong forum.

Yeah, it was the internal memory. I hope I backed it up somewhere.

• Locked thread