Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Definitely going to pick one up, debating two in case this goes the way of the adapter. 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sure, why would they be available in canada anyway

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

available direct from pdp too
https://pdp.com/search?q=riffmaster

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Oh cool. Now instead I'll whine about the $40 shipping and mandatory UPS that leads straight to brokerage fees. But hey, I did use the word "available" so that's on me, and international shipping logistics is hard to do at scale so I don't fault PDP for choosing what international customers would say is the worst possible option :)

(For real though, thanks, I'm oddly still considering it)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
$130 seems kinda high given that Jags were $70 MSRP, but if the build quality is decent I might bite.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Both seem to be sold out. Ah well...

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

they're still up at best buy and gamestop at least

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pdp-riffmaster-wireless-guitar-controller-for-playstation-5-and-playstation-4-black/6579283.p?skuId=6579283
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pdp-ri...p?skuId=6579284

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

flakeloaf posted:

Oh cool. Now instead I'll whine about the $40 shipping and mandatory UPS that leads straight to brokerage fees. But hey, I did use the word "available" so that's on me, and international shipping logistics is hard to do at scale so I don't fault PDP for choosing what international customers would say is the worst possible option :)

(For real though, thanks, I'm oddly still considering it)

Yeah UPS loving blows and PDP didn't charge me for tax, just the $179CAD and $38CAD for shipping, but using QUEEN10 I was able to get $17 lopped off so that made it a bit more palatable. I'm not convinced I won't end up paying extra fees after it takes forever for it to arrive.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Ordered. thanks.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Dr Zaius posted:

Yeah UPS loving blows and PDP didn't charge me for tax, just the $179CAD and $38CAD for shipping, but using QUEEN10 I was able to get $17 lopped off so that made it a bit more palatable. I'm not convinced I won't end up paying extra fees after it takes forever for it to arrive.

It costs me about the same amount to drive to Ogdensburg to pick it up myself, and roll the dice at the border. I always declare honestly and what happens happens; I've found the customs agents only bother with me about half the time.

Still, though.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Got back into RB4 recently, mostly Drums. Can you contribute to a Crew without an active XBL subscription, and if so is there any room in the Goon crew?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dewgy posted:

$130 seems kinda high given that Jags were $70 MSRP, but if the build quality is decent I might bite.

Guitar controllers were $80 in 2007.

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/2007?amount=80

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Freakin awesome, now do drums! They're sold out here or Amazon is not showing me the price, dunno

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
So, what's the best strategy (how hosed am I) if I just picked up a Riffmaster Xbox edition and Rock Band 4 and want to play older songs?
I used to play on PS so I don't think I have any history of old tracks on my XBL account.

I've already scoured the free DLC tracks. I want a handful of the other DLC tracks.
Can I still buy unlock codes to unlock all the tracks from the older games? Or old copies of RB3 on XB1.

Or should I just buy whichever packs contain most of the songs I want and cherry pick the individual DLC for the rest?

Ok, it's a nightmare to navigate on the website and I feel like I'm going to pay double for some tracks if I buy the packs.

hedgecore fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 29, 2024

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

All the previous game unlocks haven't been available for several years, even RB3 which lasted for a lot longer.

And there is no cross compatibility - if you switch systems you lose the library and gotta double dip.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

For guitar-only players, your first question should be "Why am I not playing clone hero"

hedgecore
May 2, 2004

GoutPatrol posted:

All the previous game unlocks haven't been available for several years, even RB3 which lasted for a lot longer.

And there is no cross compatibility - if you switch systems you lose the library and gotta double dip.

Bummer, but thanks for confirming.
I think I see enough songs in the DLC packs that I'll get some value out of it. Plus whatever Fortnite Festival becomes I guess.

flakeloaf posted:

For guitar-only players, your first question should be "Why am I not playing clone hero"

Clone Hero and RB3DX are both fun (RB3DX particularly is really really good) but I don't have a computer hooked up to my TV most of the time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Clone Hero is so soulless, I can appreciate that some people like the score attack aspect more but I would never want to play it over Rock Band.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Give RB3DX a shot, runs fine on a PS3 emulator on most computers made in the last decade-ish. And its way way way better than Clone Hero.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, I've looked at Clone Hero and the similar titles but it's really amazing how much the presentation of Rock Band really elevates the entire experience. I love having my avatars up on that stage with all the cool lighting and camera work. I need to give RB3DX a shot, though I don't have a modded 360 and would hate to give up on my current DLC.

I joined a random Crew and I've been solo carrying it up the Rivals ladder. Turns out you have a pretty big advantage when you've got a huge library of legacy DLC. I only barely made Diamond last week so I think Bloodstone will be out of the question, but it's higher than I expected to make it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The fact that rock band 4 removed filters during songs showcases how much spirit the presentation adds. A lot of songs now feel kind of bland and dead without the various filters/rendering bits they did during them in the previous 3 titles.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, I've been disappointed at all of the different little ways that RB4 feels like a downgrade from RB3. Band animation is noticeably worse, the character customization is severely limited, the stages presentation is worse, and they've lost the cool effects like the music videos. You've also lost all of the little character interstitials between sets. I'll also throw out there that the menu setlist is also much better in RB3.

RB4 isn't all bad by any means. The timing windows seem more forgiving, and I appreciate the various levels of Breakneck Speed. Brutal mode is (sometimes) a fun challenge. It's just a shame to see what is (probably) the final RB title being full of all these little regressions.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Been playing Band Hero and honestly it's not so bad. There's a bunch of poo poo songs on there, but plinking along to Nelly Furtado, Duffy and Alphabeat is pretty great.

Lol that you can unlock Taylor Swift in this and have her up there doing YMCA.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, there are quite a few songs in Band Hero that I wish I had in Rock Band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Fina posted:

Yeah, I've been disappointed at all of the different little ways that RB4 feels like a downgrade from RB3. Band animation is noticeably worse, the character customization is severely limited, the stages presentation is worse, and they've lost the cool effects like the music videos. You've also lost all of the little character interstitials between sets. I'll also throw out there that the menu setlist is also much better in RB3.

RB4 isn't all bad by any means. The timing windows seem more forgiving, and I appreciate the various levels of Breakneck Speed. Brutal mode is (sometimes) a fun challenge. It's just a shame to see what is (probably) the final RB title being full of all these little regressions.

From what I remember, most of RB4 was crowdfunded. They had a really barebones game at the start, and only added more stuff when stretch goals were made. Literally almost everything that was presented as a "bonus" feature , was already in RB3 or even RB2. Only when Rivals was added, did it feel like it was something new.