Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How Scarce will water be when Frykte is old?
Normal
Extremely scarce
There will be lots of water to drink
Hmm, not sure
View Results

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Frykte posted:

Can't we just rebel about this? But maybe when I'm 50 years old the government will have most of the majority of guns guided by aritifical intelligence that's what Im concerned about.

How are you going to rebel without cool and tasty water? Rebelling is thirsty work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you live somewhere where you've had to rely on fossil aquifers heavily, you likely do not reside somewhere that would have been considered "moderately wet" by an ecologist within living memory.

Lots of texas is straight up dry, or on the borders of dry and acceptable, with excessive human population quickly reducing it to unsustainable long term. I posted a full desertificiation risk map earlier in the thread, much of Texas is "moderate risk" or even already dry on there

Plus even the cities that have decent local rainfall, they don't have the far planned ahead water setups that places like NYC have, where the city owns and controls vast amounts of land elsewhere in their general area for long-distance supply, which ties with heavy restrictions on development in those area.

do people live in the places with annual rainfall of over four thousand millimeters? because holy lol that is a lot of rain

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

V. Illych L. posted:

do people live in the places with annual rainfall of over four thousand millimeters? because holy lol that is a lot of rain

i've been in the part of Oregon that has that much and no, they don't really.

It also never really stops raining though.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

computer parts posted:

i've been in the part of Oregon that has that much and no, they don't really.

It also never really stops raining though.

like, my home town has about 2250 mm/year and that's already enough that exchange students have a hard time coping, double that just seems insane

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

V. Illych L. posted:

like, my home town has about 2250 mm/year and that's already enough that exchange students have a hard time coping, double that just seems insane

AFAIK the only place in the US that would even approach that amount of rain is Hilo, Hawaii, but even there it's an average of "only" 3200mm/yr.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

4000mm annually in parts of the UK.

I have no idea how you cope with it not raining every other day.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

V. Illych L. posted:

Those are mostly located in national or state parks, and some of them are mountaintops where a lot of it falls as snow because the weather system can't really get across the top intact.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OwlFancier posted:

4000mm annually in parts of the UK.

I have no idea how you cope with it not raining every other day.

rain in the british isles is the most overrated thing ever, it's just above-average humidity over long periods

EnderWiggin
Jan 10, 2015
Not sure how relevant it is but i'm pretty sure if corporations could get away with it they'd privatise water. The head of the Nestle group said as much directly.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

EnderWiggin posted:

Not sure how relevant it is but i'm pretty sure if corporations could get away with it they'd privatise water. The head of the Nestle group said as much directly.

That really should be grounds for a decade in a center for the insane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

rain in the british isles is the most overrated thing ever, it's just above-average humidity over long periods

Parts of it true, I live in north yorkshire which is fairly dry at 600mm annual rainfall, but the 4000mm places like the lake district are literally raining nearly all the time. I've spent several weeks there and about one day of it wasn't raining. It's glorious.

I can't imagine living somewhere like California where you just have sunshine all the time.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

I had 1.5 meters of rain last June :toot:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

^^what's that, some monsoon poo poo? 'cos that's intense

OwlFancier posted:

Parts of it true, I live in north yorkshire which is fairly dry at 600mm annual rainfall, but the 4000mm places like the lake district are literally raining nearly all the time. I've spent several weeks there and about one day of it wasn't raining. It's glorious.

I can't imagine living somewhere like California where you just have sunshine all the time.

eh, i was on easter holiday in the lake district once, wasn't so bad

years and years ago now, though, can't remember where we were, exactly

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

V. Illych L. posted:

eh, i was on easter holiday in the lake district once, wasn't so bad

years and years ago now, though, can't remember where we were, exactly
I think any place which has a rainforest is justified in complaining about rain.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/06/16/new-nasa-studies-show-how-the-world-is-running-out-of-water/

Does this mean it's going to be scarce when I'm old?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I would advise against becoming addicted to water. It would take hold of you, and you will regret its absence.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Not if you live in the moist pacific northwest, or in New York City, one of the only cities to even consider where it's water comes from.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
If I adopt children how scarce will water be when they're old?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

^^what's that, some monsoon poo poo? 'cos that's intense

Especially wet rainy season in a lowland rainforest.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005

Frykte posted:

If I adopt children how scarce will water be when they're old?

It depends how old they are when you adopt them. I would recommend adopting older children (mid 30s-early 40s)

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Bwee posted:

It depends how old they are when you adopt them. I would recommend adopting older children (mid 30s-early 40s)

Then settle in southern Florida. There will be plenty of water.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Typical. At least now I know who to blame when it rains here in Denmark: North Africans!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Powercrazy posted:

Not if you live in the moist pacific northwest, or in New York City, one of the only cities to even consider where it's water comes from.

Boston, Philadelphia, and most of the cities on or near the Great Lakes are pretty well set too. Some may need improved treatment facilities, but otherwise they're all good. (Among other reasons, Philadelphia is set due to both having the same Delaware supply NYC draws from, but also there's a vast aquifer under South Jersey that has remained basically untouched due to abundant surface water).

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Do those water maps take into account rivers? Cause I live in the red parts of eastern washington but we have both the Columbia and Yakima within walking distance and generally do fine.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

EnderWiggin posted:

There's actually a good environmental argument for privatizing water with an eye toward creating a powerful stakeholder for conservation, though obviously it'd need to be held by a government utility and not, you know, a for-profit mega-corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Piss filtration

• Locked thread