Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

unseenlibrarian posted:

Finally I've got a game to go with that old germ of an idea about a Monster hunting team that picks their cases from the comments section of their gag website that sells tacticool monster hunter gear.

holy poo poo thats a great idea

I wrote a superhero RPG called Base Raiders and I made a site for it. One post has over 100 comments of people who want super powers http://www.baseraiders.com/2012/11/04/compound-b13-and-other-super-soldier-drugs/

edit: So I can see the same kind of thing happening in a setting where monsters are actually real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm considering buying The Dracula Dossier and was wondering if anyone had prior experience with it? I've got Trail of Cthulhu and I've gone through a simple mystery with some folks that were not familiar with it. It worked out well, so I'd like to see what people think of Night's Black Agents and this pre-fab adventure?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Chakan posted:

I'm considering buying The Dracula Dossier and was wondering if anyone had prior experience with it? I've got Trail of Cthulhu and I've gone through a simple mystery with some folks that were not familiar with it. It worked out well, so I'd like to see what people think of Night's Black Agents and this pre-fab adventure?

It's honestly one of the best campaign settings I've ever read, but it's only prefab in the sense that there's a ton of material available for you to use. There aren't really pre-written adventures outside of some stuff in the Edom Files. It's meant to be run in an "improvisational" way, where you just sort of toss Dracula Unredacted at your players and let them run with it. I love it to death but it can be intimidating to a group that isn't comfortable with paging through the supplemental material, seeing a footnote that interests them, and following where it leads.

Night's Black Agents itself is very good as well, the only real stumbling block is making sure everyone is on the same page with what kind of spy stories you're trying to emulate. If one person in your group wants to be Jason Bourne and another wants to be George Smiley, you have to get them to reconcile that. There's a lot of advice in the book for doing this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Reading NBA now, and it seems like Simple Searches basically amount to pixel hunting by the PCs. How are GMs actually running that so that it doesn’t turn into inventorying the room one impromptu description of wine glasses or a windowsill at a time?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Subjunctive posted:

Reading NBA now, and it seems like Simple Searches basically amount to pixel hunting by the PCs. How are GMs actually running that so that it doesn’t turn into inventorying the room one impromptu description of wine glasses or a windowsill at a time?

One: Always give them the core clues. Always. I know this is a core part of Gumshoe, but it's also one of the main ways Gumshoe discourages pixel-hunting.

Two: If your players are poking around somewhere, move a planned clue there. If your players think that potted plant is suspicious, have them find the bugs there instead of the bookshelf. Your players want to feel like competent spies, let them.

Three: If your players keep doing it, just tell them OOC they aren't going to find any more useful clues. They're here to play a spy thriller with vampires, not a bad adventure game. If they're pixel hunting, it's probably because they think they need to pixel hunt. Once it's clear that they don't need to, they're probably going to back off on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, that makes sense. The examples in the book made it feel more like playing Battleship, but your interpretation is more helpful. Thank you!

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
The thing that made me really understand NBA was listening to Ken Hite run the Dracula Dossier on the One Shot Podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. The examples in the book made it feel more like playing Battleship, but your interpretation is more helpful. Thank you!

The big thing I use (and this is recommended in one of the books, somewhere) is to start playing a "end scene theme" when all the clues are exhausted. The players know that when they hear the music they've gotten everything they need. You can find lots of good ambient stuff on YouTube and the like.

• Locked thread