Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this thread should be about earth picker

it's a good game to play with coworkers

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

hobo-dyer?

ya thnx. cool

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
sittin in the GIS lab hearing the wails of my peers as ENVI crashes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cool thread about hiking simulator 2015 thank

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

classic

california is computers, rightfully being reclaimed by the ocean

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

arc-jizzz lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my parents had this hung on the wall. it makes sense if you think about Baja California

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pram posted:

my parents had this hung on the wall. it makes sense if you think about Baja California

i like the maps of the coast of australia and other islands in the 15th century where they mapped and followed the coast line exactly but with completely wrong scale

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

ahmeni posted:

look out here comes my gis!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maps are hosed up

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

so what was the op

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
maps are super duper cool

gis tools are decidedly not super duper cool

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

gis tools are -ok-, i'm not sure what the alternative could be. a less hostile ui would devalue gis techs as mentioned already lol. depends what you need it for, idk most of my time is wasted kludging data for preparation. in the "i'm not paying 15 thousand dollars for loving software" open sores arena, Mapbox/tilemill (+mapnik) and Leaflet.js are alright for dicking around if the underlying technologies aren't triggering to you. openlayers is ok if you're willing to wade through poo poo. qgis is painful but serviceable.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i tried qgis a few months ago and uh wow it was bad. but then i'm really used to esri because i used that for 14 years. idk.

right after i quit my gis job i was thinking of paying the $100/yr for the personal license but ehhhhhh

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

most of my last gis job (i was there for 7 years) was creating configuration files for our internal tools, building ETL jobs in FME, writing documentation, and dealing with india. people who looked at my resume were all "hmm i don't see much gis experience here". it was v. frustrating and as much as i like maps and it being the family business going back 3 generations and all, i'm glad i'm in a different field now.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Maps are cool and good

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

having casually engaged gis tools for istp:

qgis was a broken pile of garbage
microdem was a technically usable pile of crashy garbage
i forget what else i installed then said lol nope and uninstalled or deleted but there were other things

maps are cool and good, the tools involved are not cool and bad

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

of the ones I've used, arcgis is by far the least terrible

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

I had to use GE SmallWorld for one project and every day I hoped I would die in a car accident on my 25 mile commute.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

hmm. i'll have to trial it and virtualize winders, only a few of esris products work on *nix/mac. my comfort with bad tools must be stockholm syndrome.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Elder Postsman posted:

of the ones I've used, arcgis is by far the least terrible

this is as bitter a condemnation of the state of GIS technology as i can imagine

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

most of my last gis job (i was there for 7 years) was creating configuration files for our internal tools, building ETL jobs in FME, writing documentation, and dealing with india. people who looked at my resume were all "hmm i don't see much gis experience here". it was v. frustrating and as much as i like maps and it being the family business going back 3 generations and all, i'm glad i'm in a different field now.

I ran into pretty much the exact same problem. worked for years building in house gis tech, including a pretty darn good in-house web map client (before the current open source stuff was worth a drat), building custom map servers, lots of raster/vector/postgis janitoring, and so on but my resume didn't say "ArcGIS" so nobody gave a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pointsofdata posted:

Maps are cool and good

agreed, pointsofdata

• Locked thread