Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C212
Sep 6, 2002
Brief backstory: I've lived in update NY for my entire life and have never cared for the winter weather. I've looked at moving a number of times but it never panned out (sometimes for good reasons). I'm now entering my mid-30's and really need to leave or buy some property here. Although I travel a lot for work, I've never made it to Austin. I'd like to visit.

I need to go on vacation SOMEWHERE in April, so I've decided I want to visit Austin for a few days. I'll likely go with my cousin who is in his late 20's. I have a couple of basic questions:
1. We like to go out, drink, and have fun. What areas should we look at? A specific hotel recommendation would be great.
2. Is there anything in particular that we should check out while we're down there? We're pretty flexible.

If anyone wants to add general comments about living in Austin I'm all ears. As a single 30-something, I have a fine life, great career, etc, but I really would like to get out of here to ensure I make the right decision about where I want to live for the long-run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SockFight
Dec 13, 2011

FOGLESONG SAYS STOP WHINING AND DO YOUR "OPERATIONAL" (DELIVERY TRUCK DRIVER) JOB BITCH

FOGLESONG'D
I went to pilot training in Texas and we would often make getaway weekends to Austin. As a mid-20 something there was always things to do and we always had a great time.

1. We like to go out, drink, and have fun. What areas should we look at? A specific hotel recommendation would be great.

1. East 6th street has a ton of bars and very much a college scene. The two bars I recommend the most are The Library and The Blind Pig. These places always guaranteed a good time and are not over the top with drunk frat boys etc, just a good time and great atmosphere. However, as a 30-something West 6th street is more likely your scene/peer group. Young professionals, Graduate students, and "enlightned" undergrads will hit up places like Beauty Bar and others that provide more of a social bar scene and less of a dancing/party bar scene. Speaking of west 6th Street, you must burn off any hangover and enjoy great food at Opal Divine's which is a Pub that has the best brunch and bloody mary's in town. Its right across from Whole Foods on West 6th street. 3 years ago at least, it wasn't chock-full of assholes like many recommended "cool" brunch places tend to be.

2. Is there anything in particular that we should check out while we're down there? We're pretty flexible.

2. You must go to Zilker Park and Barton Springs. Barton Springs is just south of the river and about 8 min from downtown and is a great way to enjoy an afternoon on the steep grassy slops and crystal clear water that is pretty much in downtown Austin. The park areas surrounding Barton and Zilker park is where Austin City Limits is hosted every year. Walk around the park, embrace your inner hippy and bring a kite and some day drinks and great music and chill at Zilker Park.

Other things:
-Ok I hate that I'm saying this but me and my friends did a Segway tour one lazy Saturday and it was a great time. Our tour departed a Holiday Inn I think near I-35 downtown and was a few hours of learning quirky things about Austin and checking out the grounds of the capitol. Our tour guide was super cool and realized we were having more fun racing the seqways than "learning history" and took us to a park to basically gently caress around/race on Segways for like 30 minutes before going back on the normal tour path.
-If you don't do the Segway at least walk the Capitol grounds and go inside, its like a mini-national capitol with all the weird history of Texas being its on country etc.
-Check out Lake Travis, there are a lot of rental properties around the lake and there a lot of warm weather events that occur on the lake
-Music: check out what shows are in Austin during your time, Austin is very much known for its music scene. Even if its a band you've never heard of, check out there stuff before your trip and be brave and go to a show to get the "Austin experience" You must go to a show.
-Food: Eat from food trucks. Pretty standard hipster fare of Korean Taco Fusion or whatever but its consistent and good. Also, Stubbs is an Institution even if its not "cool"; eat some Brisket, its on like 10th street I think? Stubbs is also an incredible venue, go see some live music! Death Metal Pizza on 6th street is a street pizza place that serves amazing drunk pizza and is literally blasting the ever living gently caress out of your eardrums with some death metal that just seems right at 2am. Mako Sushi was always a favorite for dinner.
-Hotel: Stay downtown, no matter what. Austin is not an experience you want to rely on Uber or cabs for, the people watching is much of the fun. The Hilton downtown has a roof top pool which is awesome to hang out on an early afternoon before going out for dinner etc.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. I have a few dozen Austin trips under my belt. Have fun, I'm jealous.

C212
Sep 6, 2002
Thanks, this is a huge help! I'll let you know if I think of anything else as I get closer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If you want to relive a weekend in a frat, do all of that stuff.

If not, there's plenty of other stuff. But it sounds like his post is what you were looking for.

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
It looks like Sock has you covered based on your interests. To echo what he said, stay at a downtown hotel based on what you are wanting to focus on. Prices will be higher, (especially if there's an event during the time you ultimately decide to visit), but Austin still has horrid public transportation options compared to other cities. While the downtown area doesn't 'roll up the sidewalks' at night, the rail and buses do, (except for a very few select lines that are focused on getting the college kids to/from their off-campus apts). Unless you don't mind having to cab it all the time, downtown is the better option.

There are plenty of options and choices for hotels, from independent places to chain. If you want to spend too much money, I'd recommend the The Driskell Hotel. It's a downtown historic icon. Though I think it's become too touristy lately. If you're a Hyatt loyalist though, you can use your points there as they purchased the hotel a couple of years ago.

Speaking of Hyatt, they also have an 'upscale' Hyatt Place that's only a couple of years old and that's still within walking distance to most of the bars downtown, as well as a Regency that sits on Town Lake as well. (I'm a Hyatt fan obviously).

As SF mentioned, the Hilton is in a good spot as well, and you also have a Four Seasons and an Omni if those are more to your taste.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The four seasons is essentially a holiday inn or Sheraton.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica

SockFight posted:

bad, dated austin advice

Beauty Bar and Opal Divine's are closed. lol @ "I have a few dozen Austin trips under my belt" and "Austin experience". Seriously don't listen to this guy. loving lol @ "food trucks are consistent and good". Have fun on your segway tour.

C212 posted:

1. We like to go out, drink, and have fun.

Everyone likes to go out, drink, and have fun. What kind of bars do you like? poo poo-dump dives? Up your own rear end cocktail bars? Gay gutter holes? Beer snob dungeons?

fuckwolf fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 24, 2015

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

C212 posted:

If anyone wants to add general comments about living in Austin I'm all ears. As a single 30-something, I have a fine life, great career, etc, but I really would like to get out of here to ensure I make the right decision about where I want to live for the long-run.

I've lived in Austin for 25 years, and for better or worse I've become the cliche, bitter "Austin was great 20 years ago but now it sucks" type of resident. Housing and rent within the city has become almost California-expensive, the city is clogged with major events that are geared more for tourists and corporations than local residents, it's hot most of the year, if you are looking for work you are competing against tons of recent college grads from area universities, it's the allergy capital of the world, and traffic/roads/transportation are a nightmare. Oh, and it's in the center of Texas.

Edit:

Then to be fair, I have to say that Austin still has a stronger sense of community than anywhere else I've been, there are still some cool events and things to do, and its probably the least-bad place to live in Texas**

** I've never lived in San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston, so take this with a grain of salt.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 25, 2015

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

C212 posted:

I need to go on vacation SOMEWHERE in April, so I've decided I want to visit Austin for a few days. I'll likely go with my cousin who is in his late 20's. I have a couple of basic questions:

If you're visiting in April I recommend checking out Eeyore's Birthday Party on the 25th. It's a one-day hippie festival that's been going on every year since like the 60's and it's a good opportunity for people watching and drinking. If ya'll like movies then it's worth checking out the calender at the Alamo Drafthouse for events and special screenings. Their Master Pancake shows are particularly good and I recommend seeing them at least once, but make sure to get your tickets at least a few days in advance.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm coming in with my wife on the weekend of June 6th, staying downtown. Are there any good outdoorsy things to do, or are we basically going to melt when we step outside.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
It'll be hot, but as long as you're not a big baby you'll be fine. I like to go swimming at Barton Springs. If you have transportation, going to some of the swimming holes in the greenbelt is a lot of fun.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I've been recommended the Hamilton Pool, but we'll have to rent a car for that day to get there, I believe.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

I've been recommended the Hamilton Pool, but we'll have to rent a car for that day to get there, I believe.

You would have to, yes. It's a good 45 minute drive from downtown. Also, since you'll be there on the weekend - you'd have to get there before they open in the morning. They only let 100 cars in and then it's one out one in so if you get there after opening you'll potentially wait for hours.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Glass of Milk posted:

I'm coming in with my wife on the weekend of June 6th, staying downtown. Are there any good outdoorsy things to do, or are we basically going to melt when we step outside.

Middle of the day is scorching, so people time their outdoors activities for mornings and evenings and it's great.

Austin has a pretty decent brewery scene, and one of the best is Jester King which is outdoors--but it's a bit of a drive outside the city. Within walking distance from downtown is Hops & Grains, another great brewery (indoors). As others have mentioned the green belt (officially the "Barton Creek Greenbelt") is pretty nice to hike and has entry points in several parts of town. You might also look into renting some bikes and joining one of the regular rides hosted by local downtown bike shops, like Mellow Johnny's or Bicycle Sport Shop. You can also rent kayaks (there's a good rental place off Zilker park somewhere if I recall) and boat around the river downtown. One of the local radio stations does a cool outdoor concert series called "Blues on the Green" which I think runs the whole summer.

There's a poo poo ton to do, indoors and out. Just ask some locals (including bartenders) for some recommendations when you're there and you'll soon have a list too long to complete in one trip.

Edit: Anyone thinking of a hotel, check out Homeaway first. A lot of the people that live downtown live in other cities half the time and rent out their homes/condos for short intervals while they're away and it's much cheaper than a hotel.

Ossipago fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 19, 2015

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I'll be in Austin this weekend around Brazos and 4th. Any good restaurants I should hit up for lunch?

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I'll be in Austin this weekend around Brazos and 4th. Any good restaurants food trucks I should hit up for lunch?

Fixed.

If Kebabalicious is still parking near there it's pretty great. For actual restaurants there's a quirky gourmet hot dog place called Frank's. That part of downtown has grown a lot in the last few years, so I imagine there's more. It's hard to go wrong.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I'll be in Austin this weekend around Brazos and 4th. Any good restaurants I should hit up for lunch?

Koriente, Daruma Ramen, and Easy Tiger are all good and reasonably priced and just a few blocks away to the northeast. There's also Ironworks and Lamberts nearby if you want to try some local BBQ.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Went to Frank's and it was great. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to check out the other places as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's super easy to go wrong downtown. There is a lot of poo poo. Frank is good stuff though.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I'm coming in a week. What the hell is going on with your weather?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Glass of Milk posted:

I'm coming in a week. What the hell is going on with your weather?

It's not as bad as it's made to look. Just don't lie down in a low area near a creek.

(To be clear the flooding was bad for the people who got flooded out of course.)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was there this weekend. It was fine. Minus all of the condos that crowd the skyline now

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Places to go that are chill

- ABGB (Austin Beer Garden Brewery) - on Oltorf just east of Lamar - great outdoor area, big indoors, music sometimes, really nice people, good beer, good pizza, great appetizers and sandwiches
- Billy's on Burnet - Burnet road at Hancock - really mellow, local pub, good burgers
- Black Star Brewing - North Lamar at St Johns (sort-of) - co-op brewpub with good food
- Chicago House - Trinity between 6th and 7th - upscale beer bar, some sports screens
- Hopfields - Guadalupe at 31st (? 32?) - beer bar with good French bistro-inspired pub food

recommendations are biased because I'm old and I like beer

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Your city is cool and nice, but holy gently caress does it need to be in a humidity controlled dome.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Nobody likes Rainey St. huh?

And seriously, nobody told this guy to go get some fuckin BBQ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

JaySB posted:

Nobody likes Rainey St. huh?

And seriously, nobody told this guy to go get some fuckin BBQ?

Rainey street was cool, but what's with the giant apartments being built there?

I did Salt Lick BBQ, which was excellent considering I come from a veritable BBQ desert.

• Locked thread