Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

I've been going through a lot of trouble with one of my cats recently, and I'm hoping that at least relating the story of what's going on might shed a little light on things. To start off, he's a Korat, about 6 years old, I've had him since he was a kitten. Korats are a very interesting breed, they are very smart (sometimes too smart for their own good, he can do things like open doors that have pull down handles), and can be very moody. They get very attached to their owners, in this case myself and my wife. When he was about 1 year old, we got another cat to keep him company while we were at work. He has been declawed, the other cat hadn't, because she proved herself to be considerate and not claw at people. The other cat, a striped tabby, was a very laid back and easygoing cat. they Generally got along very well with each other, they'd roughhouse about the same as any cats do, but never anything serious.

Then, this past new year's eve, things changed. we'd come back late from a party, a friend of ours was crashing at our place. They both had met this person many many times (he comes to visit at least once a week, sometimes 2-3 times), so it wasn't a stranger to them. about an hour later, we hear a terrible howling, the girl cat chased the boy around the house, until he came into our bedroom, cowering under our desk and howling like he'd been hit by a truck. we freak out, but manage to finally get him calmed down, and the next morning, he's more or less back to normal.

a month and change later, and we adopt another cat, belonging to our co-worker, a kitten who was not too happy with living in a house with a dog, and had misbehaved there, because she felt threatened. She acclimates quickly to our place, is very well behaved, uses her litterbox, doesn't fight with the other cats, and generally relaxes as kittens do. Another month goes by, and one day, the same fight between the first two cats happens, but WAY worse this time. the boy cat is hiding, shrieking if anyone gets near, peeing in terror if anyone even gets close. we manage to extract a few shed claw fragments from his forehead, and keep him relatively calm, if quarantined in our bedroom where he hides constantly, hissing if anyone gets near, until Monday when we can take him to a vet. the vet checks him out, bloodwork, the whole nine yards, and he seems to be fine. he seemed to find the tub he was put in to be transported to the vet comforting, so we let him relax there whenever he wants, even feeding him in the tub. the other girl cat is now living with that co-worker (cat exchange!), and seems to be tolerating the dog fine. A week goes by, and today, the boy cat is having another freakout episode, this time brought on by...nothing. the other cat wasn't anywhere near him, he had been hiding under a desk in the living room..and he just YOWLS, bolts down the stairs (we're on a second floor appartment with our own stairwell down to our front door), and cowers at the bottom of the stairs, yowling and shrieking. i tried to get closer eventually to calm him down, and he shrieks again, bolts up the stairs (Pissing and crapping all the way up, lovely...) and is now, at the time of writing this, hiding in an enclosed litterbox, growling if he can see anyone through the window.. I really just don't know what to do at this point, I'm at my wit's end. Being prone to anxiety attacks myself, this is very distressing.

Minor update: Just got off the phone with my vet, he's being proscribed fluoxetine (Generic Prozac), so hopefully that will help him out.

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Make sure you get pills giving a cat daily liquid is the worst.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

yes, i made sure they were tablets, so they are easy to give to him. i can always hide them in cheese if he decides to be a jerk about taking them. its just tougher to hold him down and poke a pill around his neck, his current attitude is "if im at all even mildly upset by anything, reflexively start pissing and making GBS threads as defense"

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
N/M: I'm in pain from being hit by a car and just being mean for no reason.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 10, 2015

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Sometimes cats just decide they Hate That Interloper, even if they have gotten along fine with other cats before.

Also you have one kitten with two older cats, the kitten is probably being a horrible menace.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Aishlinn posted:

yes, i made sure they were tablets, so they are easy to give to him. i can always hide them in cheese if he decides to be a jerk about taking them. its just tougher to hold him down and poke a pill around his neck, his current attitude is "if im at all even mildly upset by anything, reflexively start pissing and making GBS threads as defense"

If you have a pharmacy anywhere near you that does custom compounding, you might have other options for medications. Some friends of ours have a seriously neurotic cat who gets fluoxetine as a cream that gets rubbed into her ears and absorbs that way, and it seems like a relatively painless way to medicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

We've given him a mixture of xanax and fluoxetine, powdered in his food. he's actually been pretty good today, so far so good.

• Locked thread