Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
In our last bit of side-content, we GO GO POWER RANGERS

Side Bout: Power Rangers Samurai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Why are you so concerned with copyright violations? There's all kinds of let's play videos on Youtube with the cut scenes in them.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Dr. Tough posted:

Why are you so concerned with copyright violations? There's all kinds of let's play videos on Youtube with the cut scenes in them.

I've been warned at least once for a Power Rangers video before. Part of it was for humor's sake, part of it was sincere uncertainty.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I was wondering something about those big guys in Billy's level that were throwing you. Could you have done the up+Jump escape like you can when the Signals throw you in SoR?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

I was wondering something about those big guys in Billy's level that were throwing you. Could you have done the up+Jump escape like you can when the Signals throw you in SoR?

I feel bad for not even trying that. I'll be sure to give that a try.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

And that's Billy, my favourite character from the FF franchise. Always liked how "normal" he is in relation to everyone else in the game.

I might have missed it, but did you have your personal rankings for the characters in these videos? Who is the best, or who is your favourite, etc?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Artelier posted:

And that's Billy, my favourite character from the FF franchise. Always liked how "normal" he is in relation to everyone else in the game.

I might have missed it, but did you have your personal rankings for the characters in these videos? Who is the best, or who is your favourite, etc?

Andy is my favorite to play as of the main characters, but Tung is by far the most OP.

Outside of the main game (as in, the extra modes we'll get to shortly), I'm a huge fan of Duck King and Billy Kane.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In the final video of the main game, we at last come face to face with Geese Howard.

Final Bout: Geese Howard

See you for the extras!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Fun fact (well, as fun as you may think it is). The theme of that stage is actually the theme that plays when Terry fights Geese in the anime (the one where he beats Geese using a Ryu-esque hurricane kick and not a Power Wave).

Also, I liked how the final battle was on a 2D plane, however I can see why it would be annoying to fight on.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Fun fact (well, as fun as you may think it is). The theme of that stage is actually the theme that plays when Terry fights Geese in the anime (the one where he beats Geese using a Ryu-esque hurricane kick and not a Power Wave).

Also, I liked how the final battle was on a 2D plane, however I can see why it would be annoying to fight on.

It wasn't really annoying by itself. If you remove the game's biggest flaw (the way the enemies get stuck inside you), the battle against Geese is a highlight of the game. It manages to draw inspiration from the original Fatal Fury while also giving it a second life through new design.

And I had no idea where that music was from, but I feel a lot smarter for knowing now.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

After much unease and several days of telling myself to think about it later, I've come to the conclusion that a side-scrolling beat em up megathread is exactly what the genre needs. It's underrepresented, poorly represented, and it needs be preserved for posterity. As thoroughly as humanly possible. So I'll get on that after we're done with the extras. Sometime. Immediately.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

In our look at the game's Quest Mode, we dispense some Duck-Themed justice.

Quest Mode: Justice

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nice to see you got around to telling the canon story of South Town's real saviour.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That was easily the best video of the whole game. I especially loved the Double Dragon level :allears:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

Nice to see you got around to telling the canon story of South Town's real saviour.

Terry is really just a stunt double. To a person who does their own stunts.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Please tell me you'll be doing Evil Mode as Geese.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Agent Interrobang posted:

Please tell me you'll be doing Evil Mode as Geese.

Yes.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
God bless you, sir. God bless us, everyone.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Some observations from that video.

1. Ducks are better than bats. Kings are above men. Therefore Duck King is greater than Batman.
2. Why is the evil path shown as someone putting another guy in a Scorpion Deathlock? Sting was a good guy (most of the time).
3. Am I the only one who finds that static image of Geese falling off the tower really funny?

Who is the worst character to pick in the extra modes?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hoss Corncave posted:

Some observations from that video.

1. Ducks are better than bats. Kings are above men. Therefore Duck King is greater than Batman.
2. Why is the evil path shown as someone putting another guy in a Scorpion Deathlock? Sting was a good guy (most of the time).
3. Am I the only one who finds that static image of Geese falling off the tower really funny?

Who is the worst character to pick in the extra modes?

That's a tough question, but I'd probably go with Raiden or Hwa Jai. Hwa Jai requires his Power Drink to do anything useful, and his "anything useful" is just a knee to the gut or spitting in someone's face. Compare to Tung, who goes full Hulk with his alternate mode, and has a useful basic form.

As for Raiden, he just has a basic projectile and a dropkick attack that has a delay before use.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

As for Raiden, he just has a basic projectile and a dropkick attack that has a delay before use.

They could have at least given him a more powerful grab.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I'm having issues with my recording setup on several fronts, and as much as I'd like to finish this thread off, I'm not physically capable at the moment. Consider it on hiatus, my apologies, I really didn't like for this to happen at the eleventh hour.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, good luck breaking this LP curse.

I've liked the "play as enemies" optional side content ever since they introduced it in once of the Double Dragon games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Recording equipment is up and working again. Expect the last two videos to be posted together very soon.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I'm going to have to call the thread finished as is. Unfortunately the frequent technical problems and my personal issues have done a number on my motivation. This thread and all its content will be added to the beat 'em up megathread's extra section, where it will live in peace knowing that it was preserved. I will continue to update that thread, but this one has sadly come to an end.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Thanks for showing off a weird and surprisingly good fan game. It fits right in in the other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Sorry to hear about your problems, my friend. I hope they start to improve soon.

And I know I definitely had fun in this thread. Thanks, and I will get my Guardians of the Hood LP done at some point and post it in the other thread.

• Locked thread