Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Nebalebadingdong posted:

6mm gun wagon from the lazy forger

This rules - are you playing their Full Spectrum Dominance game or is this for Battletech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Decorus posted:

A pin vise is a small handheld manual drill (it holds the drill bit). Just clarifying, since it seemed like you might be talking about the kind of vise that holds objects to a work bench while you work on them.
Oh okay. Yeah I thought people were talking about a thing to hold the mini itself.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I can highly, highly recommend a wow stick for drilling.

It’s a small pen sized battery operated drill for modelling tasks, spins at only 400rpm which is perfect for hams.

$30 off Ali Express, a bit more on Amazon. Love it for quickly making sub assemblies or pinning models to bases.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Does the Wow Stick actually use some weird proprietary chuck, or is that just some strangely-edited video when people are doing reviews of the thing?

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I would be terrified to gently caress up models with any kind of powered drill, especially while drilling out barrels. For pinning large models I guess it would be quite useful, but I've managed without the few times I've worked on something large and brittle.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I'd be more worried about electronics from Ali Express (or Amazon for that matter) exploding and killing me. Then again :tinfoil:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

grassy gnoll posted:

Does the Wow Stick actually use some weird proprietary chuck, or is that just some strangely-edited video when people are doing reviews of the thing?

Nah, it’ll fit whatever.

Lumpy posted:

I'd be more worried about electronics from Ali Express (or Amazon for that matter) exploding and killing me. Then again :tinfoil:

It would at worst give you a small case of the spicy smoke. The battery is teeny tiny.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Count Thrashula posted:

This rules - are you playing their Full Spectrum Dominance game or is this for Battletech?

This is for FSD. The minis are crazy detailed for 6mm.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

grassy gnoll posted:

The bits have a wider base than the ones for a pin vice (roughly 2mm diameter at the end that the drill holds), but I'm pretty sure you could find generic replacements that fit easily enough. Theres no special propitiatory bitting or anything.

Decorus posted:

I would be terrified to gently caress up models with any kind of powered drill, especially while drilling out barrels. For pinning large models I guess it would be quite useful, but I've managed without the few times I've worked on something large and brittle.

Its a very low speed drill (needs to be so it doesnt melt the plastic you are drilling), so if you make a small pilot hole with a knife tip (or any other random sharp thing) you are very unlikely to do any actual damage . if you dont make a pilot hole then it might skip over the surface rather than bite in, but again, surface level scratch really.

You absolutely dont need one, it doesnt do anything a pin vice doesnt do. But if you are pinning a whole squad to their bases and/or drilling their barrels, its a nice little luxury. I'm often pinning Malifaux figures which can have tiny wee thin ankles and lots of delicate parts sticking out, so the quicker/more smoothly I can get them drilled the less likely I am to accidentally break a bit off. I put it on par with my vortex mixer, its a thing I dont need but I'm glad I have.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I actually just came to post about the WoW Stick because I just bought one and tried it out on a random barrel and it took 10 seconds. I can't believe it. worth every penny

I primarily got it because I am also getting into Malifaux models and wanted something to drill into them

I picked up the McMourning core box and one of my friends helped direct me to sculpt in green stuff for the first time and I had so much fun that I bought a bunch of basing tools and greenstuff lol

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Lumpy posted:

As opposed to what?

I never understood this, all this poo poo comes out of the same place. If it's not the same factory, it's the same spec sheet their working from. I've pulled a wide range of Chinese made consumer goods from shelves to compare and half the poo poo my place makes is poo poo they pull off the shelf, send to China who then "reverse engineers" for us as their "exclusive" client.

No no, please ignore the samples we sent you that have another company's branding on it, so strange.

Especially when it comes to the consumer goods this hobby uses. The air brushes, tanks, files, drills, brushes, handles, wet pallets, dry pallets, cutting mats, ultrasonic cleaners, all of that stuff is effectively the same. I once had a small electric product that was a mirror image of a competitor. Not as a way to avoid or differentiate, but because the cellphone photo snapped of the diagram was reversed so the copycat was made that way.

The only concern is the really cheap poo poo or the really expensive stuff. The cheap stuff because it's probably poisonous. The expensive stuff because its also poisonous. Don't like artist paints. Don't like exposed wiring terminals.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
But have you considered that China... bad?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Every single time I look at the tracking number and my package still didn't arrive.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
Enjoying playing with rusty weathering

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bo-Pepper posted:

Enjoying playing with rusty weathering

This looks awesome. I see the dirty down hiding there!

Absolutely rad paint, if a bit finicky sometimes. Really seems to be something that wants to be experimented with

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
aliexpress gets a lot of binned-out merchandise so it can be a real crapshoot. it's fine for bulk items where you can just eat some lossage yourself, but i wouldn't buy anything there if the materials or brand are important.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

workin on the skin of this flesh construct

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I finished up my 6 hordes of Stormdrain Vermin! (shocktroops) for kings of war - I like batch painting, so did these 80 guys in 2 batches of 40, starting just after xmas. The bases I modeled in blender and printed on my Ender 3.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

This looks awesome. I see the dirty down hiding there!

Absolutely rad paint, if a bit finicky sometimes. Really seems to be something that wants to be experimented with

Yeah it’s a fun paint for sure. I put it on heavy then poked and prodded at it with wet q-tips. Then hit raised edges with silver.

Not the most complex process but really has a nice look off that’s what you’re going for.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ravus Ursus posted:

As opposed to what?

I never understood this, all this poo poo comes out of the same place. If it's not the same factory, it's the same spec sheet their working from. I've pulled a wide range of Chinese made consumer goods from shelves to compare and half the poo poo my place makes is poo poo they pull off the shelf, send to China who then "reverse engineers" for us as their "exclusive" client.

No no, please ignore the samples we sent you that have another company's branding on it, so strange.

Especially when it comes to the consumer goods this hobby uses. The air brushes, tanks, files, drills, brushes, handles, wet pallets, dry pallets, cutting mats, ultrasonic cleaners, all of that stuff is effectively the same. I once had a small electric product that was a mirror image of a competitor. Not as a way to avoid or differentiate, but because the cellphone photo snapped of the diagram was reversed so the copycat was made that way.

The only concern is the really cheap poo poo or the really expensive stuff. The cheap stuff because it's probably poisonous. The expensive stuff because its also poisonous. Don't like artist paints. Don't like exposed wiring terminals.

Ever since a friend's house got burned down by a cheap phone charger, I am just paranoid about cheap electronics. I know it's a me thing, and that it's all the same, thus the :tinfoil:

Eej posted:

But have you considered that China... bad?

lol

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Got my Kelermorph mostly done. I do wanna do his base soon but.. ughhhhh

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Lumpy posted:

Ever since a friend's house got burned down by a cheap phone charger, I am just paranoid about cheap electronics. I know it's a me thing, and that it's all the same, thus the :tinfoil:

lol

Fair. But also, Samsung aside blew the gently caress up for a hot minute.

Clearly the only solution is to go full hermit mode and make your own paints the way we used to do it.

Talk about putting blood sweat and tears into your work!

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I made a chainrasp horde guy (nine more to go) and banshee and I was so proud I used my fancy camera and lightbox

I got these in December and was too nervous to paint them

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ominous Jazz posted:

I made a chainrasp horde guy (nine more to go) and banshee and I was so proud I used my fancy camera and lightbox

I love the colour palette you've used for these.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 28, 2024

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

First Malifaux model completed

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have a specific recommendation tutorial for OSL? Thinking of trying it for the first time on my jedi hunters.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Ominous Jazz posted:

I got these in December and was too nervous to paint them

The gold skull is a very neat idea. Might have to steal that at some point.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone have a specific recommendation tutorial for OSL? Thinking of trying it for the first time on my jedi hunters.

As always, Vince! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3VvpTfZ_lo&ab_channel=VinceVenturella

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Winklebottom posted:

The gold skull is a very neat idea. Might have to steal that at some point.

Death stranding is cool as hell. I covered it with leaves but there's also a big ball and chain weighing him down so he can't go to heaven (I assume, I haven't read any warhammer)

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 28, 2024

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
new painting thread is up (and will have :effort: added shortly)

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Not a tutorial as such, but Sorastro did a great blow by blow for a heavy OSL mini recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVmwJ67jw8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

new painting thread is up (and will have :effort: added shortly)

Thank you for starting a new thread, CtH! Everyone go there.