Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I am curious about how and when people started reading. While reading is interesting, readers can be even more so!

This is especially true because there is two separate phases of reading: reading as a skill, and reading as an activity. I think most people learn reading as a skill in their elementary school years, but reading as a self-directed, personal activity might take a bit longer, and some people never start. Some people take to reading right away, and some people don't like it at first. Everyone has a different story.

So, for myself:

I learned to read, as far as letters and sounds went, when I was three. At least, I seem to remember that I actually knew the letters and sounds, but it could have been that I was just reciting from a storybook. According to my mother, I started to actually read on my own in kindergarten, and quickly got to being able to read chapter books on my own. I actually read "The Hobbit" in first grade, and and tried to read The Lord of the Rings in second grade---but I don't think I could follow the plot very well. Mostly I read series books for children (I read the Narnia books in first and second grade, and understood them fine), Choose Your Own Adventure, and comic books. I also loved science books, especially dinosaur books and astronomy. I had a high school level reading level in second or third grade, but I don't remember using it often: I don't think I could quite keep up with the content of most adult books, even if I could technically read at that level.

It was when I was around 10 or 11 that I remember really starting to read adult books, like I read "Roots" when I was maybe 11 or 12. I obviously didn't get all the subtleties, but I could follow a novel's plot. I wasn't very choosy about what I read: I basically went to second hand stores and just got dozens of mass-market paperbacks and read them all.

So what is your story? Was reading love at first sight, or did it take some getting around to? What did you read? Why did you read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread