Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Asian racism episode of Kimmy Schmidt was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I get a bit annoyed at people acting like there's all these revelations about Chevy when the cast were talking openly about his abusive racist language way back in the season 2 commentaries. Old White Man Says twitter in the show itself was inspired by the cast joking about "Who said it? Pierce or Chevy?"

Never mind him just generally being hard to work with and holding things up on set, outright refusing to shoot scenes (like the intended scene at the end of the video game episode with Abed).

At the same time you'll hear him (even in the infamous actual voicemail) crediting Dan Harmon's sharper writing even when he criticises him. And Harmon acknowledges Chevy as a legend, even if he's a nightmare to work with. The whole "feud" is so ridiculously overblown when there's a mutual respect between these two (kinda scummy) guys. There's a reason getting Harmon back got Chevy back to do that one cameo.

So yeah, Dan Harmon getting booted off the show was almost certainly nothing to do with this silly feud, or his creepin' on Megan Ganz - in his own words it had more to do with his rampant substance abuse.

Guy Mann posted:

The Asian racism episode of Kimmy Schmidt was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen.
Tell me more?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

VagueRant posted:

Tell me more?

In one episode of Kimmy Schmidt, a black character puts on a one-man show where he plays a Japanese woman. A bunch of angry Asian "social justice warriors" (I hate that term but that's what they were obviously supposed to be) from the internet show up to the show to protest his cultural appropriation. His one-man show turns out to be beautiful, respectful of the culture, and touching, and all the SJWs are blown away and decide to chill out. The episode was overall rather dismissive of real issues of minority representation in media.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

VagueRant posted:

I get a bit annoyed at people acting like there's all these revelations about Chevy when the cast were talking openly about his abusive racist language way back in the season 2 commentaries. Old White Man Says twitter in the show itself was inspired by the cast joking about "Who said it? Pierce or Chevy?"

Never mind him just generally being hard to work with and holding things up on set, outright refusing to shoot scenes (like the intended scene at the end of the video game episode with Abed).

At the same time you'll hear him (even in the infamous actual voicemail) crediting Dan Harmon's sharper writing even when he criticises him. And Harmon acknowledges Chevy as a legend, even if he's a nightmare to work with. The whole "feud" is so ridiculously overblown when there's a mutual respect between these two (kinda scummy) guys. There's a reason getting Harmon back got Chevy back to do that one cameo.

So yeah, Dan Harmon getting booted off the show was almost certainly nothing to do with this silly feud, or his creepin' on Megan Ganz - in his own words it had more to do with his rampant substance abuse.
Are you really annoyed that people who didn't know chevy chase was a racist now know he is a racist? Does that really bother you?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pakled posted:

In one episode of Kimmy Schmidt, a black character puts on a one-man show where he plays a Japanese woman. A bunch of angry Asian "social justice warriors" (I hate that term but that's what they were obviously supposed to be) from the internet show up to the show to protest his cultural appropriation. His one-man show turns out to be beautiful, respectful of the culture, and touching, and all the SJWs are blown away and decide to chill out. The episode was overall rather dismissive of real issues of minority representation in media.

They talked about this kind of cultural appropriation a couple times on "Whiting Wongs". I think the conclusion was "Wu-Tang are the coolest guys ever, and they're doing it with respect".

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

prefect posted:

They talked about this kind of cultural appropriation a couple times on "Whiting Wongs". I think the conclusion was "Wu-Tang are the coolest guys ever, and they're doing it with respect".

To give a little more background, it was written in response to actual Asian groups who were upset with the way a character in the first season was written.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's a strong undercurrent in all of Fey's work that posits the idea that anybody offended by anything, no matter how legitimate, is the real problem and that everybody should just shut up and laugh at the problematic joke. Unless it's about white cis women. Then you're an rear end in a top hat.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

There's a strong undercurrent in all of Fey's work that posits the idea that anybody offended by anything, no matter how legitimate, is the real problem and that everybody should just shut up and laugh at the problematic joke. Unless it's about white cis women. Then you're an rear end in a top hat.

I suppose you could look at it that way, I've always taken it as a way to call out those issues without being preachy. But that might just be me being hopeful that she doesn't actually think minorities etc. are the butt of the joke...

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ElCondemn posted:

I suppose you could look at it that way, I've always taken it as a way to call out those issues without being preachy. But that might just be me being hopeful that she doesn't actually think minorities etc. are the butt of the joke...
An entire season of Kimmy Schmidt contained a running gag that an asian man had a name that's slang for penis.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ElCondemn posted:

I dunno I remember pages being devoted to bashing her because she said people should eat cake instead of protest. I feel like a lot of people like really don’t get her.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

LividLiquid posted:

An entire season of Kimmy Schmidt contained a running gag that an asian man had a name that's slang for penis.

My assumption is that it's making fun of that trope... but that's probably hopeful thinking...

hanales posted:

I dunno I remember pages being devoted to bashing her because she said people should eat cake instead of protest. I feel like a lot of people like really don’t get her.

Yeah, I'm probably being hopeful...

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I’m very happy I missed the apparent pages of awful people ranting about this hilarious and cathartic bit on the rage and helplessness many felt last Summer, as literal neo-Nazis re-emerged from crevices across America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvpXZxXWZU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

pwn posted:

I’m very happy I missed the apparent pages of awful people ranting about this hilarious and cathartic bit on the rage and helplessness many felt last Summer, as literal neo-Nazis re-emerged from crevices across America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvpXZxXWZU

If you're going to complain about politics in the Community thread, you could at least talk about how Republicans are preparing to Bear Down for Midterms:

https://twitter.com/cmaiduc/status/973951189782941696

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/danharmon/status/974132657138237440

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Glover seems really, extremely depressed. This article is peppered with things like "only two people truly love me", "it'd be nice to feel less lonely". The dude has a family, friends, tonnes of collaborators, but he feels desperately alone and apparently believes that either his brother, his girlfriend or his son don't really love him.

Sad stuff. I kinda roll my eyes at his pretentious "I call God her but I sourced my writing staff from an all male social club" thing, though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Incredibly funny people are often loving miserable, so I'm not too surprised. drat shame though because he always seemed to have a good head on his shoulders back when I was actually following his career.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There were a ton of replies so I kinda thought the movie got a green light. Now I'm a little disappointed.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Koalas March posted:

To give a little more background, it was written in response to actual Asian groups who were upset with the way a character in the first season was written.

I think it also had to do with the complaints about jane krakoswki playing a native american.
I always had a real problem with the people who were upset about that though. A native american part wasnt cast with a white actor. Clearly the part of ms vorhees was created first for Jane k, and the native american thing was just an offhand joke due to how incredibly white the actress is. And rather than it just being a one-off they decided to make it a part of her character, which resulted in recurring roles for two actual native americans. So I find that whole controversy really pathetic.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Monagle posted:

I think it also had to do with the complaints about jane krakoswki playing a native american.
I always had a real problem with the people who were upset about that though. A native american part wasnt cast with a white actor. Clearly the part of ms vorhees was created first for Jane k, and the native american thing was just an offhand joke due to how incredibly white the actress is. And rather than it just being a one-off they decided to make it a part of her character, which resulted in recurring roles for two actual native americans. So I find that whole controversy really pathetic.

Aren't there also Native Americans on the writing staff? (Maybe even the same people.)

Yeah, complaining that Jane's character is white washing is completely stupid.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Not to mention there being a real-life story there, there are plenty of aboriginal people who don't look it at all and thus have a disconnect with their heritage either due to be kind of ostracized from their community or simply not having a big history with their heritage due to how they were raised, or using the fact they look white to distance themselves from the shittier things their community has to put up with.

Sure they play it up entirely for laughs, but it's honestly kind of a neat bit of representation if you look at it at face value imo. And, yeah, it provided two hilarious and dope aboriginal actors with a really fun gig so bitching about it seems stupid as hell.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Here's my movie pitch: Ten years after the end of the show, Annie has gone missing during a CIA mission in Iran. Only the study group can sneak in, using Troy's boat, and rescue her. Britta shoots the Ayatollah by accident. Shirley feels uncomfortable. Jeff exists.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Here's my movie pitch: Ten years after the end of the show, Annie has gone missing during a CIA mission in Iran. Only the study group can sneak in, using Troy's boat, and rescue her. Britta shoots the Ayatollah by accident. Shirley feels uncomfortable. Jeff exists.

Maybe a good sequel, but the movie's obv. gonna be about CIA Annie helping track down Troy and Levar Burton after their kidnapping by pirates

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Greendale is forced to close after a series of hauntings. The gang investigates the mystery, and in the end, they find out that the ghost of Pierce was Chang in a costume the whole time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The study group meet again at Chang's legit gay wedding to Duncan. The Dean wins a karaoke contest at the reception, driving Jeff to competitive jealousy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Genuinely, though, there's like a 90% chance it's about Abed getting a sitcom picked up based on the study group, much like Community was based on Harmon's real life Community College study group.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dan Harmon was Britta, wasn't he?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Chevy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jason Alexander

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dan Harmon was Britta, wasn't he?

He was a little of Chevy's, Joel's, Dani Pudi's and Gillain's characters.

All of them at the start represent different parts of Harmon's personality.

Except in Season 2, it was clear that he decided that Abed was the one who most reflected him, taking the awkward gently caress up role from Chevy.

It's so clear from the first season that Chevy was supposed be repellent but redeemable but over the course of seasons of people genuinely disliking Chevy in the cast and crew, all of that element disappeared.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

fez_machine posted:

He was a little of Chevy's, Joel's, Dani Pudi's and Gillain's characters.
He was everybody except the black people

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
And Annie

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

pwn posted:

And Annie

No, he was absolutely a perfectionist.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He really just did a lot of stimulants.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

tbh the only character he couldn't write for was shirley

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He could write great Shirley, just not consistently and during everyone else's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Shirley only very rarely being the brilliant character and performance she had the potential for is probably the most disappointing thing about Community, overall. Yvette Nicole Brown at least still killed it even when they gave her nothing, which was most of the time.

• Locked thread