Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

alice from dilbert nooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CraigK posted:

alice from dilbert nooooo

Valanice :tinfoil:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The escape plan is to punch through the entire prison.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
gently caress that town.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

corn in the bible posted:

The moon has fallen into the Falderal well, scaring away the mockingbird (a tragedy). Then the chicken turns into a series of animation errors.

That's just regular cartoony exaggeration. It wouldn't be that odd if the game weren't trying to mix that with its Disney Princesses realistic animation. Troll-Rosella is 90% smears by volume, which vanishes the second she becomes human again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

That's just regular cartoony exaggeration. It wouldn't be that odd if the game weren't trying to mix that with its Disney Princesses realistic animation. Troll-Rosella is 90% smears by volume, which vanishes the second she becomes human again.

Smears and exaggeration are fine in a normal situation, but with the low fps they use for animation in this game it can make certain things look really terrible.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

When faced with how to get the moon out of the well, obviously most players' first thought would be "eat salt so I can trade a mask for a book in a magic fake store, then walk to the first screen of the game and trade it for a staff."

Oh my god :psyduck: That explains why I never got past this level as a kid. I don't think it ever occurred to me to go all the way back to the first area, or that I could even go back there at all, because, you know, this stupid game is divided into location-specific chapters and I already got through that chapter

gently caress you, Sierra.

Some good deaths in this game, though. There's a whirlwind in the desert that rips the flesh right off your bones. I had the early version with the dragon that would smash you flat with his tail, which was irritating. I like this one, because they didn't bother to animate her drinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk4mJQf7Ydc

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah I'm going to assume that chicken looks a lot worse in motion.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PART SIX

It's back to Rosella for this chapter. A journey to Ooga Booga, land of endless repetitive backtracking!

This is what Valanice saw in her mirror. Note that nobody is around.

Suddenly, there's just... a guy. Stunning storyboarding here. I loving hate this guy and you'll see why soon enough.

You have to click his shovel, or you die. There are a lot of bullshit deaths in Ooga Booga.

This is the problem with the gravedigger: his animations are so, so slow, and everything he does takes forever. Look at this:

Nuts, nuts, NUTS! This is gonna take forever. I can't STAND this rotten, worthless little shovel. Look at that! Pathetic. That wasn't enough dirt to suffocate a bug. NUTS!

You have to talk to him over and over until he says something important, much like the deer. Aren't you glad they got rid of dialog trees for this game? Streamlining is the same thing as good game design! So just assume that occasionally, between lines, I had to watch a slow animation of him grabbing his shovel and shoveling a bit before I could get the next bit of dialog.

Um, hello, good fellow. Thank you again. I wonder --

Just kidding! You don't have to imagine it!

You also can't avoid these scenes. Sometimes it seems as if they deliberately made the most annoying parts the ones you can't skip over.

I don't need a grave yet, thanks to you, sir. Could you tell me if this is the land of Ooga Booga?
Yeah, this is Ooga Booga all right.
Pardon me for saying so, but isn't that shovel a little too small for the task at hand?
You said it, lady. This is the wrong equipment for the job. Here, let me show you something.

Iggy was trained special. Besides, there ain't no other rat as strong as Iggy. Or as smart, neither.
He must be a very special rodent.
He is.

You need to experience all of this great dialog because otherwise, even if you find the rat (that's our goal for now, you see) Rosella won't hand it over to the gravedigger. Which makes sense, I suppose, even if I wish he'd walk a little faster. South of here is some little poo poo in a pumpkin.

To the west, another kid is doing graffiti.

Then you have to leave the area and return to the house's vicinity again to see the first kid throwing eggs.

If you don't wander around until you've seen all three scenes, entering the pumpkin will kill you. Once you have, though, an elevator appears for no reason and you can use it to ascend safely. It's like a puzzle, if you're insane.

There's some stuff to grab from here, which will be useful later.

It's someone's backbone. I'm not sure what those things that fell off it are supposed to be.

I suppose a girl never knows when she'll need a foot in a bag. Especially in Ooga Booga land!

Rosella has no problem stuffing some dead guy's foot in her pocket, because the royal family of Daventry just doesn't give a gently caress. You can take the elevator back down, if you want, and if you later find you missed something it's convenient to have done so. We've got everything, though, so

Back to the house. All told, there are only six real locations in Ooga Booga because the main theme of Rosella's storyline in this game is endless padding.

Um, hello. I am Rosella of Daventry. M -- may I ask you a few questions?
Certainly, Miss Rosella. Do come in. Quickly, please!

I am looking for King Otar, ruler of the trolls. I've heard that he's been... detained in this land. Have you heard anything about that?

Count Tsepish is, of course, a reference to Dracula, and the kids from before are a reference to Nightmare Before Christmas. Basically, Sierra ran out of fairy tales and have decided to just go with whatever the hell they feel like, and Ooga Booga is our generic horror land for this game. They've got problems, but Rosella isn't going to do poo poo about them unless it benefits herself, so it will be up to Valanice to rescue their ruler and fix the problems of this land. In fact, most of the troubles in this world end up being solved by Valanice, who really comes across as the real heroine of the story even if it's Rosella who ends up defeating Malicia. Even the volcano, which you may have forgotten about but which is the entire point of this game, is sorted out through Valanice's actions and not Rosella's. Maybe they wanted to let Valanice have her time to shine, since Rosella had already starred in a game before this one?

Oh yeah, and we have a backbone already so let's give it to this dude.

Oh, I am eternally grateful to you. I would like to repay you in some small way.

There's not much else to do here. We can talk to the mouse, though.

Nothing says whimsical adventures like a Silence of the Lambs reference. Time for Rosella to torture some small children!

Is it a severed head? A crawling eyeball?
No, it's something better! It's the best, weirdest, creepiest pet in the world!

CADAVEROUS!

Get it? Because cadaver means a corpse!! It's loving comedy gold.

You can take the elevator up, but I think that kills you. Not sure, though, because I didn't try it. Instead, put the box in the elevator and send it up so it can murder children with its pointy teeth.

Cadaverous! He's biting me!
Oo! Skeletal! Look at his TEETH! It's my turn! My turn!

Then, the worst animation in the game happens.

The animation for Chapter Four was done by a company called LA West Film Production, which was based out of Croatia. During the production period for King's Quest 7, Croatia was in the process of splitting off from Yugoslavia, and was at war with both the Serbian nationalist forces and Herzeg-Bosnia. So when you make fun of this game, remember that there was a very real risk that some of the head animators would be executed by Slobodan Milosevic.

IGGY! Thank you so much. My only talent in the world is digging, but I'll dig you a grave anywhere you blow this horn.

Blow the horn and I'll hear you and come and dig your grave. Okay? C'mon Iggy, let's go fire that bad boy up!

They're not really important, but Sierra could never resist putting joke gravestones in a place like this:

They're not really funny, but that's besides the point.

Man, the yuks just don't stop. And guess what: we have to go back to the pumpkin area, again, to deal with the kids, again. Ooga Booga, land of reused art assets!

Hush up, kitty! Whe was in the prime of life [sic]
If only she hadn't been runned over by an ox cart! If only she didn't get the plague! If only -- if only we had a better pet!

But you do, we gave you one! And it killed you! Remember?

I think so.

Why can the cat talk? King Graham could only talk to animals because of a magical blessing, remember? It's not even a cat person, it's just some moggy that was nailed in a box!

Thank you, my lady. I heard you speaking with my friend, Dr. Cadaver. The King of the Trolls is imprisoned in the realm of the Boogyman, beneath the deadfall.
Thank you! I must go to him at once!

You can skip helping the cat, and it's not unreasonable to figure out where you need to go next since once you see it and have the horn it's pretty obvious what to do. But if you don't make the moral choice to help the cat, you lose paragon points and get the renegade ending.

Wait! There is something I wish to give you. Hold out your hand. It is one of my lives, my lady. You saved one of mine, so I feel I owe it to you. I still have eight left.

Or you just get a magic revival thing, whatever. It's still the divergence point for the good ending. But don't worry, LP fans, you'll get to see both! How exciting!

There's nothing left to do here but wander around until something happens. Here's a beautiful animation.

And here's the boogyman. Spooky!

Will he kill Rosella? How will she escape? Find out next time, I guess!

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 3, 2015

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Nightmare Before Christmas came out a year before this game, but I'm sure it's a total coincidence Ooga Booga Land is Halloween themed and has a bunch of bratty kids running around.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Anoia posted:

Nightmare Before Christmas came out a year before this game, but I'm sure it's a total coincidence Ooga Booga Land is Halloween themed and has a bunch of bratty kids running around.

The kids don't even get names. In the credits they're just KID 1 and KID 2

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
There he is. That is how I picture the Boogyman, lean and mean. Fun fact, he can show up to get you all over the land of Ooga Booga.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

It's someone's backbone. I'm not sure what those things that fell off it are supposed to be.

Those are slipped discs :downsrim:

You can take the elevator up, but I think that kills you. Not sure, though, because I didn't try it. Instead, put the box in the elevator and send it up so it can murder children with its pointy teeth.

Yes, yes it does. You go up and the children jump you while in masks.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 4, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

grandalt posted:

There he is. That is how I picture the Boogyman, lean and mean. Fun fact, he can show up to get you all over the land of Ooga Booga.

Really? He never did that to me. One scene and that was it. Maybe that's another thing they patched out?

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Maybe. He showed up all over in my copy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Chapter Four might be the worst chapter in the game, but I am very excited for when a plot will happen in chapter six i guess

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Why is th thread locked

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I have more of Chapter Four recorded, enough for one more update, but it is physically hard to make myself play more King's Quest 7 when I could be doing literally anything else. Everyone else was right, and this game is mostly just boring rather than outright hilariously terrible. So that sucks.

I would still like to finish the LP at some point but I'm going to be working on something more fun for the moment, alright?

I bet Slowbeef wants to finish his retsupurae someday. we all live in hope.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
This game does get horrifically boring, I recall beating it but the only two parts I actually remember were the loving desert and animal town. Like I'm sure I actually BEAT it as one point, it's just such a loving slog that I can't loving remember anything else. Don't blame ya.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I would still like to finish the LP at some point

Don't lie to yourself. King's Quest 7 does not deserve to be finished.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
In a way it is almost fitting for the LP to be cut short and unfinished.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'd do it, but I hate working with screenshots, and continuing a screenshot LP in videos seems like an even bigger shift than the sudden reversal in tone from outright loathing to mere disappointment, which would cause whiplash in most viewers. And I hate working in screenshots when I've got a perfectly good video recorded and can just add commentary and upload it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Nidoking posted:

I'd do it, but I hate working with screenshots, and continuing a screenshot LP in videos seems like an even bigger shift than the sudden reversal in tone from outright loathing to mere disappointment, which would cause whiplash in most viewers. And I hate working in screenshots when I've got a perfectly good video recorded and can just add commentary and upload it.

I really did hate the first few chapters, especially Dog Town, which is why it was much easier to write about them. After that there's just nothing at all going on in this game.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Nidoking posted:

You know what must be done, Nidoking. We believe in you!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Ceciltron posted:

You know what must be done, Nidoking. We believe in you!

A micropig wearing a leather jacket and pink booties, crying into the tines of a golden comb.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak7HNiUGVNA

now suit up baby its the endgame

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Well, you did it. You won. You never have to play another game for the rest of your life.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Cheez posted:

Well, you did it. You won. You never have to play another game for the rest of your life.

Wrong, he's gonna be playing this gem of a game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

finish your kings quest lets play bible corn

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

THE LESBIATHAN posted:

Wrong, he's gonna be playing this gem of a game.

why are you so cruel

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Well, he could always play another game with a woman at the lead out to save herself.

http://crystalshard.net/?g=16

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Let's Play Thirty Years of Nancy Drew Games.

• Locked thread