Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starship Bridge Simulator

Developer(s) High Voltage Software (32X)
Interplay
Platform(s) Super Nintendo (1994), Sega 32X(1995)
Genre(s) Simulation

Introduction
Did you ever wonder what life would be like on the picturesque campus of Starfleet Academy? Well, with Interplay's (RIP) Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starship Bridge Simulator you could have a taste of what life was like for cadets in the "movie" era [for you nerds, roughly Wrath of Khan]. Released Interplay, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy Starship Bridge Simulator, lets you (role)play as a new cadet trying to become the next great Starfleet Captain.

Game Play
Though there is a stand alone "Arcade" mode that lets you take over the command of the Enterprise through some of her most exciting missions including the Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, and Balance of Terror; the main game itself follows the academic career of a cadet commanding a starship through a series of missions. Each semester has five missions and you're graded on a 0-100 scale with a 75 considered passing. As Captain you have (mostly) complete command of your starship.

If you want to know more about the characters in the game, the nerds at Memory Beta, the Psudo-canon wiki for Star Trek have you covered: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet_Academy_Starship_Bridge_Simulator

About the LP
I will try to go over as much as I can, but if I miss something and you'd like to know more feel free to ask me here or PM me. I'll try and incorporate any feed back you have. My plan is to release the LP "year by year" since the game is structured like a 4-year academy education. Jewmander did most of the editing and will be along for commentary. I feel that this is just a measure of the pain I should inflict on him for the agony of having to be a part of the Ultima IX LP

Videos
Freshman Year
List/Freshman Year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ed-9ZHKu3k&list=PLi3ibd11GRFSm38yM4_OdV75Op8-Wr4my

sophomore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toN0eS0gURc&list=PLi3ibd11GRFSm38yM4_OdV75Op8-Wr4my&index=6

Junior Year
Mission 11: Phoenix Rising https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPsPd_hqRDs
Mission 12: The Great Experiment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiPlRcyGbgM
Mission 13*: Protostars and Wargames https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCQjTexODYs
Mission 14: Shipyard Wrecking Ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg4Whtb05RQ

* = Episode 13 is a double issue.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Excellent!

I enjoyed the first year of videos. The two of you are clearly highly amused at the game, and it comes across nicely. Suffice it to say I'm ready to see Sophomore Year and the Light Cruiser Hijinks.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You guys didn't notice Tupac in episode 4?

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Do you intend to get that commendation in the final mission? I felt that being able to do that was a brilliant stroke of meta-narrative.

I'd be more specific, but I don't want to spoil the thread's reaction if I don't have to.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Thanks guys! I am going to be working on Sophomore year tonight, so look for it soon-ish.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
I just got around to watching the first video, and you are speeding through all the conversations WAY too fast. You're also not giving your co-commentator any time to understand what you are doing and why. If you are going to show off the game, could you at least give everyone a second to catch everything before you skip past it? Perhaps take a video to explain the ship functions?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

HomestarCanter posted:

I just got around to watching the first video, and you are speeding through all the conversations WAY too fast. You're also not giving your co-commentator any time to understand what you are doing and why. If you are going to show off the game, could you at least give everyone a second to catch everything before you skip past it? Perhaps take a video to explain the ship functions?

Sure. I am working on the second round of videos now, so I can deffo go a little slower with them.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sure. I am working on the second round of videos now, so I can deffo go a little slower with them.

Thanks. Sorry if I came on a bit strong there, but this game has a lot of flavor and details, and I didn't want them to be lost in the speed.

If it's not a bother, could you make a video for the controls and the ship, and perhaps a compilation of the conversations with the other cadets and the instructors?

One last suggestion: when you get a dialogue choice, take a moment to explain why you choose each one.

Your skills at the game are very good, and if you can show off the story more, then you'll have a good LP. Just take your time unless speed reflects on the score.

HomestarCanter fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Jewmander
Sep 12, 2007

You called down
the thunder... now
reap the whirlwind
please dont ask him to make me watch a 20 minutes training video about how you modulate the phase variance of your shields in Starfleet Academy: Starship Bridge Simulator for the SNES

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Sorry it took a while. The OP has been updated with Sophomore year!

Jewmander
Sep 12, 2007

You called down
the thunder... now
reap the whirlwind
are the video titles jokes or episode titles

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
I notice you go back to gameplay when you switch back to condition green before heading back to base. You actually don't need to do that. You go switch to condition green and warp back from the menu screen and not get docked points.

Also will you cheat on the Kobayashi Maru?

Jewmander
Sep 12, 2007

You called down
the thunder... now
reap the whirlwind
so i looked it up while trying to find things to put over pre and post gameplay talk and not only is the phoenix a ship made up for this game, theres a totally different romulan ship called the Phoenix they made up for the rts games from ages ago [remember them being kinda bad] but instead of a bird of prey as drawn by a five year old its a green suppository suicide bomb ship you hide in your friends base until you dissolve your alliance and blow up everything he owns at once

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I thought the Phoenix was supposed to be the D'Dierdex-class Warbird from TNG?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Snorb posted:

I thought the Phoenix was supposed to be the D'Dierdex-class Warbird from TNG?

Loosely. It's supposed to be a ref to it.

Also, programming note: I lost my external harddrive (RIP) that I had all my poo poo stored on. Look for an update again sometime next week.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I remember renting this all the time from the video store, and I new it was crap but I played it anyways because it was the closest I was going to get to simulating wrath of khan, because the other star fleet academy was far worse.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

I remember renting this all the time from the video store, and I new it was crap but I played it anyways because it was the closest I was going to get to simulating wrath of khan, because the other star fleet academy was far worse.

Are you referring to the PC version, because I remember that being pretty good.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Junior Year is on the editing table now, so buckle up!

Jewmander
Sep 12, 2007

You called down
the thunder... now
reap the whirlwind

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Junior Year is on the editing table now, so buckle up!

yeah its gonna be wicked exciti

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

okay sorry for the delay! junior year is now up.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
We did see a Gorn ship briefly on TOS but there were no details. Only good shot I could find was on Memory Alpha http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gorn_starship

Also relevant to the threads interests: GOG Has several Star Trek games including Starfleet Academy PC. I've only played Starfleet Academy but it somewhat holds up.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
"How do you make a ship that blows up if you turn it on too early?"

It's surprisingly easy.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Wales Grey posted:

"How do you make a ship that blows up if you turn it on too early?"

It's surprisingly easy.

I will broker no dissing of the A10 :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Missed you guys.

"I am the terrorist."
-Andichu 2015