Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve_Wren
Mar 19, 2015

I have been on the road now for just under 5 months travelling through Madagascar and now currently South Africa's garden route. I have learnt quickly when travelling, the amount of people you meet and could potentially meet everyday is out of this world compared to the 'normal' home lifestyle we.. or at least I lead. Because of this naturally the people you meet become a huge part of the experience, memories and stories to take away with you.

I have also quickly become aware that when two people meet or a group of people meet it automatically turns within seconds to the polite formality exchanges of asking each other "Where are you from?", "How long have you been travelling for?" or another example being "How long are you staying in 'x'?" You know... those really mundane and original questions that everyone asks and that never really go anywhere. 5 months in.. I can't take it anymore. I need something, some inspiration from you perhaps on how you have or even still do meet people in a fun, interesting, unique or bizarre way initially.

So If we are to break away and create a more fun interesting reality for ourselves and the people we meet in the future, how do we go about it? Share your stories, the more unoriginal the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
I know dem feels.

A great way to bond for me is through food. I like to ask people what they food they miss about home, what food they turn to at 3am in the morning after about 15 drinks.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I once met an elderly dude while I was in London, he spent the better part of his career developing agriculture economies all across Africa. The first (and only) time I met him, his initial conversation with me really stuck over the years. He opened with the standard "Who are you?" so I of course answered with the standard: My name, where I'm from, what I do, etc. But his response was "That's nice, but who are you. What are your passions?"

Anyway you don't have to use this, just a thought. It put me on the spot and made me actually think about what to say.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 24, 2015

Steve_Wren
Mar 19, 2015

zmcnulty posted:

I once met an elderly dude while I was in London, he spent the better part of his career developing agriculture economies all across Africa. The first (and only) time I met him, his initial conversation with me really stuck over the years. He opened with the standard "Who are you?" so I of course answered with the standard: My name, where I'm from, what I do, etc. But his response was "That's nice, but who are you. What are your passions?"

Anyway you don't have to use this, just a thought. It put me on the spot and made me actually think about what to say.

This is actual gold and apparently very rarely used. I have been searching online better ways to communicate with people and through all the websites and the pages and pages of searching that I have done, none have really been any good or inspiring to at least try. Thanks for sharing. I'm definitely going to give it a go.

• Locked thread