Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

Dwarf Fortress freaking rules.

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

emoji posted:

Sprites are mostly just arbitrary symbols and freaking babies can associate meanings to ascii characters so understanding the graphics of the game doesn't mean you are smart.

A sprite of a man to indicate a man is not an "arbitrary" symbol so no

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mach2 posted:

A sprite of a man to indicate a man is not an "arbitrary" symbol so no

Do you even semiotics bro?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SnotGrumble posted:

Toady has the source code for Dwarf Fortress in escrow, and it will be released on the event of his death. There is a stipulation that if his death is found to be the result of foul play, the source will never be released.
He is a psychopath.

That's insanely cool

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

^^^^^

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I get PMs on every forum I post on from people who want to know when I'm gonna do the next DF podcast with Toady

Every half hour of content we produce is fueled by two hours of aimless conversations that when leaked into the actual podcast releases, make DF fans really mad (I got hate mail for drinking a beer in one of the podcasts)

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Capntastic posted:

I get PMs on every forum I post on from people who want to know when I'm gonna do the next DF podcast with Toady

Every half hour of content we produce is fueled by two hours of aimless conversations that when leaked into the actual podcast releases, make DF fans really mad (I got hate mail for drinking a beer in one of the podcasts)

:justpost:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

quote:

Capntastic PLEASE be careful your getting very close, if you havn't done so already, to a breakdown where you will attack your own fanbase.

I realise that fans will do nothing but aggrivate you: saying your hard work isn't good enough, comparing your work unfairly to that of professionals, pick at every detail, nag you to release it.

However it is important that you take control of yourself and try to keep yourself from ravaging those who would support your work.

The only possitive thing I can say you get from all these negative comments people are giving you is that in some small way they are indicating that they believe in your abilities.

I understand though, it is aggrivating to have your work put down due to unfair qualities or even the point of its existance.

Ohh well I am probably not helping and I am probably jumping the gun. Just remember that your work is good!

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Do you ever respond to messages like that?

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.

Capntastic posted:

I got hate mail for drinking a beer in one of the podcasts

lmao

I think the escrow code arrangement tells us two things.
The first is that deep down inside, Toady knows he'll never be finished with dwarf fortress and he will die modeling dwarf intestinal diseases.
The second is that there are people out there so crazy that they would murder Toad to get their hands on the source code.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

I Said No posted:

i never could play df well enough to do anything cool with it so i just read the crazy stories about what other people do with it like make mermaid drowning chambers so they can get mermaid bones to sculpt for cash

how does one drown a mermaid?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Concordat posted:

Carefully.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Concordat posted:

those drowning chambers work for both land and sea.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Concordat posted:

With something other than water, I suppose.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Concordat posted:

maybe it's the same way you'd drown a seal

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Concordat posted:

:magma: :2cat:

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Ohayou, Capntastic! Ganbatte!

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Capntastic posted:

:magma: :2cat:

But how would you harvest the bones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

memy posted:

But how would you harvest the bones

Migrant Wave!!!

• Locked thread