Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to a final wrapup video (or videos) to put the bow on this game, but even without it, it's been a good showcase.

I wouldn't quite call it the DMC 2 of the series, but I kind of get that vibe listening to your guest roundtable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I'm not dead!

Tag Climax: The Technical Stuff(Polsy) | Download (Audio only)

Featuring Morninglord22

Cards covered:

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 31, 2016

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

yoshesque posted:

I'm not dead!

:neckbeard: Yay!

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Don't mind me

[img]http://lpix.org/2293864/ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif][/img]

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Might be relevant to this thread, but Bayonetta is the winner of the Smash Fighter Ballot, meaning that she's the final DLC fighter for Smash Bros!

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Got my new smash main

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zuzie posted:

Might be relevant to this thread, but Bayonetta is the winner of the Smash Fighter Ballot, meaning that she's the final DLC fighter for Smash Bros!

Holy poo poo.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 18, 2015

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
Semi-related to thread, vStyleTournament 7 has begun and all the voting will start in a couple of days. There's a lot more Bayonetta entries this time so I thought I'd post them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SSC1oxpTYs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64rhXj4eSmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKeaG_GMRVo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtLf7h0cJP0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6iTu2Zjyqk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DNXORWSxyw

And here's the whole playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdy7ZkDOI7GKrBFuw6asIp88ELmmjB_ud

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Tag Climax: Concerning Action Games(Polsy) | Download (Audio only)

Featuring Ben Ruiz and Saurian Dash

Cards covered:

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
That was a really good discussion aaaaa

I watched some Aztez and like, it takes 2D character action and actually makes it not terrible. So many games I've seen try to do it, but it just looks so floaty and terrible, but Aztez looks like it has that "feeling", you know?

Also I'm so glad you guys talked about the importance of attack special effects in games, and that one video on that single Shuraba overhead strike with and without the special effects. The thing that really kills action games for me is when the dev is incapable of creating satisfying effects, and syncing them up properly with enemy reactions. This also explains why so many western games do absolutely nothing for me, while japanese/korean games are The Good poo poo, in that regard.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

What Raruna said. Hope to see more podcasts like this in the future.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Verse 1: The World of Bayonetta 2 Youtube(Polsy) | Download

Bayonetta (Default)

A new Bayonetta in a new hairstyle. Her outfit is an Umbran battle uniform laced together with her hair through witchcraft.

Uniformed

The battle uniform of the Umbra Witches. The strong, tightly woven hair forming this bodysuit repels all attacks.

Umbran Gekka

An alluring Chinese dress with a bold slit makes this outfit smart and sexy.

Police Woman

This police uniform has removed all hindrances to mobility, so you can serve out justice in style. Who knows? Maybe you'll finally be able to cuff the man of your dreams.

Schoolgirl

The approved uniform of Shirogane International High School, with just a little edge added. Wear this and every day can be your sweet 16th.

Witch Apprentice

The training uniform of a young apprentice witch who died in an unfortunate accident during a practice ritual. Some say the instant one puts their arms through the robe's sleeves they become the past owner.

Metal Witch

If you've ever wanted abs of steel, now they're yours... literally. With this bodysuit you'll be the most heavy metal person you know.

Dress / Elegant Outfit

You've got the day off; why not go to town and dress up a bit? You'll surely catch everyone's eye wearing this lovely number.

Mushroom Kingdom Princess

From the wardrobe of the princess of the Mushroom Kingdom, with a few slight alterations.

Grants the user the ability to summon a certain spiky-shelled king through a Wicked Weave.

Sarasaland Princess

From the wardrobe of the princess of Sarasaland, with a few slight alterations.

Grants the user the ability to summon a certain spiky-shelled king through a Wicked Weave.

Hero of Hyrule

Courage, power, and wisdom abound in this new take on the legendary hero's tunic.

Enjoy a new kind of gameplay with the included Master Sword and Hylian Shield.

Press L stick in the direction of the enemy's attack with perfect timing to neutralize it.

Galactic Bounty Hunter

The power suit of the famed galactic bounty hunter.

With its beam-firing Arm Cannon, this suit is everything a girl needs to overcome inhospitable alien terrain.

Press Y to to fire the Arm Cannon and hold it to shoot a Charge Shot.

Press L stick and ZR twice to use the suit's Morph Ball ability.

Star Mercenary

The pilot suit of the galaxy's bravest team of mercenaries, with a few slight alterations.

Without question top class in maneuverability, only with this suit can one be granted use of the powerful galactic gun, the Arwing.

A Witch With No Memories

A witch who lost her memory after being sealed away for centuries. She wears a sleek black battlesuit that she forms through magic with her own devastating hair.

Old (Old Hairstyle)

Wax nostalgic with this faithful reproduction of a dress that was in vogue 500 years ago. Wearing this will make you feel young again! Enter a fashion time warp!

Nun (Old Hairstyle)

For times when the refined woman is posing as a nun, this authentic costume will allow you to blend right in. With this genuine article draped across your body, you may very well be invited to join a convent.

Jeanne (Default)

Jeanne, in a tight fit crimson motorcycle suit. She's grown out her platinum blonde hair to contrast Bayonetta's new style.

Character Traits-
Although Witch Time will require more precision to trigger, Jeanne deals more damage with Wicked Weaves than Bayonetta.

The Last Witch

A friend of Bayonetta's since their days training together long ago. She prefers her red suit to the traditional battle uniform witches commonly wear.

Nun (Old Hairstyle)

Cosplay is an experience that once you've tried, you will never forget. Which is why we are offering an authentic nun's costume. This won't be the last time you cosplay, we swear, so throw off those inhibitions and join the club!

Cutie J (Old Hairstyle)

The battle uniform of the Umbra Witches. The strong, tightly woven hair forming this bodysuit repels all attacks. But in the hands of the seemingly mild-mannered schoolteacher Jeanne, the suit allows her to transform into the powerful Cutie J! Defending her city and her beloved students, she cuts through evil with her crimson blade, Bloody Moon!

Those distant, hear the sound... Those close by, see the spectacle... Evildoers, fear final justice, because the Platinum Knight has arrived to defend the weak and innocent! CUTIE J IS HERE!

Robes of Banishing

A pitch black Umbran battle uniform laced together with hair through witchcraft.

Long ago she was imprisoned with chains which suppressed her magic power for breaking the laws of the Umbra. She still wears the chains now as a reminder.

Character Traits-
Rosa deals increased damage to enemies at the cost of lower defense. Players must use caution.

Unable to use Umbran Climax, Rosa can spend saved up magic power to summon Umbran Armor.

yoshesque fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Apr 14, 2016

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

That's some pretty neat info there. I like it when games add things like ciphered text and little background details like that. Does Balder's summon circle say anything in particular? Or is it just the reused angel one? I know Bayo's costume contains fragments of a poem (at least in the high-rez model for publicity images).

Also Saxonetta is pretty amazing
:sax:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 16, 2016

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's some pretty neat info there. I like it when games add things like ciphered text and little background details like that. Does Balder's summon circle say anything in particular? Or is it just the reused angel one? I know Bayo's costume contains fragments of a poem (at least in the high-rez model for publicity images).

Also Saxonetta is pretty amazing
:sax:

I'd have to sit down and find a good shot of it, but I would guess it says what the alfheim portals said: Heaven's radiance outshines all. Bayonetta's default outfits have always had traces of demon script on them, it's just basically impossible to get the whole picture, although bless the internet for trying.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

yoshesque posted:

I'd have to sit down and find a good shot of it, but I would guess it says what the alfheim portals said: Heaven's radiance outshines all. Bayonetta's default outfits have always had traces of demon script on them, it's just basically impossible to get the whole picture, although bless the internet for trying.

The script on the back roughly translates to "Do not do what you're thinking of doing, it's tedious."

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Verse 2: After the End Comes... Youtube(Polsy) | Download

Unmasked

Balder, unmasked. His battle robes are made with a divine thread to ward off evil.

Masked

A Lumen Sage wearing battle robes made with a divine thread to ward off evil and a mask to help him stay focused on his target

Japan Style

Rodin, wearing a modern ensemble with a Japanese taste. It's something he's been into recently.

New York Style

Rodin in his favourite number. It's been with him long enough now that it's starting to feel like quite the classic.

All 4 One
Four powerful handguns, crafted by the famed demon-smith Rodin, and crowned with the names Athos, Portos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan. Pushing one's magical powers to their limits, these guns' rate of fire and stopping power are incredible.

Able to withstand the backlash from powerful magic arts, they allow their user to release complete power with no holding back and execute demon-infused hair attacks called Wicked Weaves.

Rasetsu
A mesmerizing, sharp-edged pair of swords that seal the goddess of destruction and ruin, Rasetsu.

When a female has these weapons in her hands, demonic energy causes her power to increase tenfold and can send lost souls away from this world to where they belong.

Samsa
A bow containing the soul of a man who was transformed into a poisonous insect, disowned by his family, and cast to the depths of Inferno.

The bugs decorated across the bow are all alive, and constantly producing deadly toxins. Those struck by arrows from this bow will be susceptible to sickness of all kinds.

Rusalka
An infernal weapon containing the souls of lonely water spirits, known as Rusalka, who failed to become brides.

The screams of their souls as they escape the machine are at times horrible flames of destruction, or blizzards of the coldest temperatures.

Inferno Slayer
A scythe used by a sage to hunt demons who wandered into human villages.

His merciless killing of demon after demon earned him the name Inferno Slayer by the villagers. At first they praised him, but eventually they grew afraid of his power and expelled him from the village, no longer remembering him as a protector.

No one knows what happened to the sage after he was expelled, and the scythe's whereabouts were long since lost to the sands of time. Eventually, Rodin heard rumor that a demon in Inferno possessed it; the weaponsmith claimed the scythe for himself, along with the soul of the demon.

The scythe was then given the name of its previous owner, and became an instrument for slaying demons and angels alike.

Yagyu

True to its name, which means wild bull, this enormous hammer houses a charm blessed by the raging bull god Gozu.

Some time ago, Rodin used this hammer during a fight to save a certain planet in crisis.

Despite Rodin's fine work, Bayonetta turned down the weapon, not finding its name to her liking. Rodin felt he had no choice but to join the battle himself and put on a personal display of its power.

Rodin has since made it more powerful for Jeanne, traveling to Japan to find and affix a new charm.

Agni

Chainsaws containing spiritual energy absorbed from the god who controls all flame.

The fire that constantly flows from this weapon transforms into sharp teeth that can sear anything apart.

Scarborough Fair

Crafted by the famed demon-smith Rodin, these four guns have been crowned with the names Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme. Pushing Bayonetta's magic to its limits, the firing rate and stopping power of these guns is incredible.

The durable framework of these weapons makes them able to withstand any amount of power channeled through them, including Wicked Weaves--powerful attacks by the Umbras that use hair to summon demons.

Shuraba

A living katana, pulsing with the heart of Asura, the demon god of war. Always seeking blood, the blade will suck the very souls out of its victims.

Angel Slayer

A katana born in the unknown depths of Inferno, brimming with mystery. One legend states that it is the twin sword to Shuraba. It is also said the sword's name comes from the story of a witch who loved the sword, and was excommunicated for carrying out a futile war against the angels.

While the sword did not contain the soul of a demon, the Angel Slayer displayed incredible power; however, the sword, and the witch in whose hand it was held, both found themselves in Inferno. Eventually, the blade passed into the hands of Rodin who was able to make up for its previous deficiency. Still, it remains unknown what sort of demon the smith was able to seal away in the historic blade.

Unforgiven

A set of guns found by Rosa after having been long sealed away for being used in the betrayal and injury of an Umbran sister.

The set is comprised of four individual guns named North, South, East, and West.

As they were originally designed for witches, their affinity with magic is strong, and though old, the power of a single shot is immeasurable.

However, it goes without saying that these guns, meant only for chosen Umbra, should not be allowed in the hands of one who broke the laws of the clan by loving a Lumen Sage. Though they were returned to Rosa as the clan faced the threat of annihilation, they no longer contain any of their original power. They now exist only as a weapon of the forsaken, to hold back the disaster that encroaches upon her.

---

I feel like I need to have one final word about Bayonetta 2 before I get off this soapbox/let's play for good. As I have maintained since the beginning of this LP, I think that Bayonetta 2 is a good game, but it is also a disappointing sequel to my favourite game ever. My goal with this LP was to present my issues with the game, especially as this was and continues to be an unpopular opinion.

I dislike the idea that criticising something automatically means you don't like it. I have never been one to excessively gush over anything, and the implication that critical thought equals blind hate is a very black and white way of seeing the world. Regardless of what it may have sounded like, I have never hated Bayonetta 2. I was just as critical of the first game but got none of the poo poo I got for criticising this game.

Despite this, I hope that what I had to say stuck with some of you, because at least in that sense, I will have at least achieved what I set out to do. Thank you all for watching.

(one final bit of fanart by mkob because he is a cool dude. Context: https://twitter.com/yoshesque/status/707178725293428736)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Great LP, Yoshesque - thorough as always.
And a nice breakdown of the differences between both games mechanics, and the pros/cons of Bayo 2's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Think I said it best that one time I chucked a tweet at you; You wouldn't want this game to be better if you didn't love it.

• Locked thread