Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DonnieBravo
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I've been living in Montreal for the last 2 years, and my time has come to an end. On my way back home I'd like to buy a car in Canada and then drive down south to catch a flight out of Texas. I'm looking for any information about buying, registering and insuring a car and making sure I have no trouble while I'm driving in Canada and the States. Any information or just general chatter about this subject would be greatly appreciated. Hell, if you have any ideas about things I should see on my trip down the east coast I'd be interested in that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DonnieBravo posted:

So I've been living in Montreal for the last 2 years, and my time has come to an end. On my way back home I'd like to buy a car in Canada and then drive down south to catch a flight out of Texas. I'm looking for any information about buying, registering and insuring a car and making sure I have no trouble while I'm driving in Canada and the States. Any information or just general chatter about this subject would be greatly appreciated. Hell, if you have any ideas about things I should see on my trip down the east coast I'd be interested in that too.

Why do you want to buy a car in Canada?

Other than that, you will probably have to get a Canadian drivers' license -- usually, foreign licenses are only valid for 12 months after arrival. If you start your trip in the States, I doubt this will be the case, and if you want to buy a car, it will be much, much less expensive.

DonnieBravo
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I guess I had just completely ruled out buying a car in the US, just due to what I thought would be insurmountable like getting registered and insured. Is there systems in place for a non-resident to buy a car in the US, and how would I deal with all the paperwork if I was on the go?

I can drive with my Australian license if I get an International Drivers Permit, which seems fairly simple albeit a lot of paperwork.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DonnieBravo posted:

I guess I had just completely ruled out buying a car in the US, just due to what I thought would be insurmountable like getting registered and insured. Is there systems in place for a non-resident to buy a car in the US, and how would I deal with all the paperwork if I was on the go?

I can drive with my Australian license if I get an International Drivers Permit, which seems fairly simple albeit a lot of paperwork.

It seems Quebec is a more liberal about that than other provinces, after looking it up, so as long as you have a valid IDP, you'll be fine. I'd definitely, definitely look into buying a car in the US, though. You will be able to buy it as a non-resident, I'm 99% sure, because a not-insignificant number of Canadians buy their cars in the US to try to save money. You will definitely save money, so it's probably worth it to look into what you'd need to do.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

You will be able to buy it as a non-resident, I'm 99% sure, because a not-insignificant number of Canadians buy their cars in the US to try to save money.

Buy probably, it'll come on temporary tags though and in the states I've lived in you need proof of residency (i.e in state drivers license) to register one properly.

How long is this trip? A rental for a month is like $1000, just do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonnieBravo
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
We'll be driving for 90 days, starting in Maine and finishing in Texas. Which states have you lived in and encountered that rule of needing an in state residence? We have friends in California whose address we can use but its certainly not a permanent residence for us.

• Locked thread