Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I'd like the advice of goons who have worked two white-collar jobs at once. I've been presented an offer which I'd like to accept, but really want to think everything through first. Having never worked two jobs at once, I'm sure there's some things I'm not thinking about it.

Background
I work as an accountant in a multinational, listed firm. Enjoy the company, am happy with the pay, and am happy with the career progression, and really enjoy the travel. Hours are a bit long, I tend to do 45-55 hours a week off quarter and then 60-70 about three weeks a quarter, possibly with a weekend day or two each quarter. I'm not in the least bit inclined to quit at the moment, although I don't have plans to stay there forever either - everything has it's time.

About five years ago, pre-accountancy life, I worked at an economics consultancy at a junior level. I left for accountancy because ultimately I didn't think I'd make it (was very insecure about my abilities at the time), and the rest is history. Haven't had many regrets, believe it or not, although I occasionally think the work would be more interesting in consultancy.

Last week I met up with my old boss from the consultancy and she said she'd really like to work with me again. She can't offer the same pay grade (I'm now better qualified as an accountant than economist), but she said she'd love to have me work on papers with her part time, remotely, for a pro rated wage. The numbers floated around are €1,000 for 40 hours a month. It's definitely less per hour than I'm making now but intriguing. I think I want to do it, and I've thought of some pros and cons.

Pros
-Extra €12,000 a year, can have more disposable income and reach my savings goals more quickly
-Stimulating work, can keep my mind agile and stay abreast of the latest research in my boss's field
-Would be good on my CV if ever I wanted to pivot back to that line of work - might be good on it anyway?
-It'll be on a contract by contract basis (ranging typically from 3 to 9 months), so if it goes terribly I can just stop at contract's end
-If I keep getting contracts renewed, could be a great steady source of income if ever I am temporarily out of a full time job

Cons
-Time. 10 hours a week means an evening or two a week and possibly a weekend day. I already work a lot of hours as it is
-Time again. 10 hours a week in a contract doesn't necessarily mean 10 hours a week in practice, as the work will be results/deliverable-based (this could also be a pro if I come in under 10 hours a week)
-Concentration. I'll have something else on which might distract me from my day job, which is something I want to move up in
-Loss of day job? In an extreme scenario, if my bosses found out I was doing this, I don't think it'd be appreciated. I think it's implied that we are each working only one full-time job
-Stress on partnership. My partner already thinks I work too much (although is also career driven so understands), but this might increase the strain.
-Stress on self. During busy periods at work I don't really get to exercise as much as I'd like or just have a weekend to clear my mind. This would exacerbate that.

So that's what I've thought of so far. I'd appreciate any opinions, especially from those who have tried something similar before.

Would you do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
It's always good to have multiple streams of income, but if you're already stressed for time (and your partner is complaining) then I wouldn't be soo quick to jump on it.

Maybe do one contract and see how it goes? If I were in your shoes, I'd try to figure out a way to condense some of my day job work or cut down on hours, especially if you don't see yourself in that career forever and economics interests you more.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

moana posted:

It's always good to have multiple streams of income, but if you're already stressed for time (and your partner is complaining) then I wouldn't be soo quick to jump on it.

Maybe do one contract and see how it goes? If I were in your shoes, I'd try to figure out a way to condense some of my day job work or cut down on hours, especially if you don't see yourself in that career forever and economics interests you more.

Pretty sound advice. I'm, uh, triple booked at the moment working like 70 hr/week easily.

I tried to set up two of the jobs (phd/academia and govt sector) to be pretty symbiotic which has worked out but not without some issues.

It's left me awfully codependent on friends for relaxing, so if I'm not working I'm seeing folks around town - which then leads to even more exhaustion. There's a few days where I'll take a rest and dick around after binge work. It's untenable in the long run, but I planned and prepared for it emotionally so I feel satisfied.

It's really based on what makes you happiest and most fulfilled. I personally love all the things I do and would be doing them for fun, otherwise.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Halisnacks posted:

Cons
-Time. 10 hours a week means an evening or two a week and possibly a weekend day. I already work a lot of hours as it is
-Time again. 10 hours a week in a contract doesn't necessarily mean 10 hours a week in practice, as the work will be results/deliverable-based (this could also be a pro if I come in under 10 hours a week)
-Concentration. I'll have something else on which might distract me from my day job, which is something I want to move up in
-Stress on partnership. My partner already thinks I work too much (although is also career driven so understands), but this might increase the strain.
-Stress on self. During busy periods at work I don't really get to exercise as much as I'd like or just have a weekend to clear my mind. This would exacerbate that.
I wouldn't do it based on these reasons. Work to live, not live to work..

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I would thoroughly investigate what the rules of your current full-time position is with regard to taking on side work, so the risk was a known factor.

Additionally, understand that consulting work hours and clock hours spent are two different things. It seems that you are well aware of this, but I'd just like to reiterate it. Currently you're at €25 per hour. Would you still do this if you ended up at, say, €15/hr.?

Seconding moana's advice: do one or a few and see how it goes?

• Locked thread