Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

The man himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Stink fag posted:

Banana Bird
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKohyZF3Xvc

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Didn't they censor this to "one HECK of a guy" in a later release or version or something?

In melee they did, dunno if there were ever any other versions of DK64.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

In melee they did, dunno if there were ever any other versions of DK64.

There weren't, I can't play the drat thing unless I somehow get a cartridge and an N64.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Bicyclops posted:

There weren't, I can't play the drat thing unless I somehow get a cartridge and an N64.

DK64 has been contained in such the same way as smallpox. It's for your own protection.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

But I like the big stupid collectathon with burp and fart noises

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DK64 is a really terrible game, but not nearly as bad as Banjo-Kazooie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wow, look at the bananas I have! And I can get more! And more coins or whatever! I love this! That's what I would be saying.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

DK64 is a really terrible game, but not nearly as bad as Banjo-Kazooie.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I love collectathon adventure-platformers and even though the genre has some lovely points there are times it does really well

I also bough the beta for A Hat in Time, so you can disregard what i'm saying entirely since i'm clearly not well, mentally

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i liked collectathons as a kid/teen for a while but i think it was banjo tooie that was the first one that was a barely disguised list of chores and it made me realize how inherently boring that design is.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

i liked collectathons as a kid/teen for a while but i think it was banjo tooie that was the first one that was a barely disguised list of chores and it made me realize how inherently boring that design is.

I think the thing about banjo tooie is that it was too gimmicky. Having a shitload of different tools (a shitload of kinds of eggs, transformation, splitting up) is totally fine, but only if it's used in ways that make sense and are fun. more often than not in Tooie you'd run into "oh, i've gotta take a crack at this again after I get some bullshit from some other level". Or worse, you'd find that and not even realize you'd need something you don't have yet

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i wonder, if dk64 was released first, would it be considered the best of the genre?

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i wonder, if dk64 was released first, would it be considered the best of the genre?

King of poo poo mountain

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"Oh Banana" confirmed for the virtual console

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Japanman has it on wii u VC, seeing what's still broken (its everything)
http://www.twitch.tv/signa2525

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

DK64 ruined collectathons for me because I couldn't get the last banana due to a glitch. The gold banana just sat there taunting me unable to be picked up

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The last good collectathon was probably Jak and Daxter. Jak 2 and 3 made it optional, which was good because 100 percenting them sucked.

Maybe Mario 3D World, if it counts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

The last good collectathon was probably Jak and Daxter. Jak 2 and 3 made it optional, which was good because 100 percenting them sucked.

Maybe Mario 3D World, if it counts.

I don't mario games count because the collecting is just playing fun levels to reach the flag post, not the DK/Kazooie model of a billion pickups in one area

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't mario games count because the collecting is just playing fun levels to reach the flag post, not the DK/Kazooie model of a billion pickups in one area
Yeah, that was my thought too. So Jak and Daxter, then.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Which wasn't even supposed to be a collectathon. They started to run out of budget and were just like "gently caress it. Orbs. Tane."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which wasn't even supposed to be a collectathon. They started to run out of budget and were just like "gently caress it. Orbs. Tane."

Lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jak and Daxter was sick and there's a shot Jak 2 of some girls big bonkers at a bar and it's the first video game titties I remember from my early gaming days.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sadly I can't find the interview with the creator where he's like "we ran out of time so we just added the crystals from Spyro." I came across it around 2003 so it's probably long since scrubbed from the internet.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the collectathon zest in life died for me due to jet force gemini

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the collectathon zest in life died for me due to jet force gemini

Oh man I loved that game until the tribble hunt bs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

they have announced DK64 for Wii U virtual console now.

• Locked thread