Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hey, my laptop loving sucks but I'd like it if it would stop overheating around every 30 minutes of use so I could actually do anything with it. The issue is that with school going on I can't just send it in somewhere and have it fixed and I've never done much repair on any sort of hardware or electronic device. Upon startup it tells me that the fan isn't working properly and needs to get replaced. Where would be the best place to go to find a new fan? How much should I expect it to run me? Is it smart to try and do this myself? (I have taken apart my laptop before to clean it out so I'm not completely unfamiliar with that kinda stuff, but I've never replaced a part or anything)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What is the brand and model of your laptop?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Alereon posted:

What is the brand and model of your laptop?

HP, I dont know the model number since the bottom part where it was written has peeled off or something. Is there a way to find out by launching the laptop?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Product name: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Product number: LM198UA#ABC
Serial number: 5CH12419UX

there's what I managed to find from messing around, hopefully one of those is the model.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The DV6 series is super-common, so you can find videos on youtube for replacing fans pretty easily, and there should be photo guides that you can get via google. The main thing is just to be careful when breaking the laptop down, and storing the screws in a bag or tray so you don't lose them.

You can get a replacement fan via eBay or Amazon probably, as most of them are universal and differentiated primarily by size. Anything that fits a DV6-6020CA "should" work - without knowing the exact model I'm guessing based on the product #. I'd replace it sooner rather than later unless you want to permanently damage the board or the laptop's GPU.

• Locked thread