Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Purchased!

...I almost feel guilty buying a goon-made game on sale. :ohdear: But the reviews and comments in this thread made it sound too good to pass up; I promise I'll buy the DLC if I have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Baloogan posted:

pay fullllll priiiiiiice

also it literally IRL took me a year to realize that there wasn't anything special about your starting world aside from a built in water resource and a factory.

Your starting planet has a large number of tiles, so it's not bad to make it into your capital, especially when your Tier II resource planets have few tiles.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Ghost of Starman posted:

Purchased!

...I almost feel guilty buying a goon-made game on sale. :ohdear: But the reviews and comments in this thread made it sound too good to pass up; I promise I'll buy the DLC if I have fun!

I feel even worse, as I got it from the Killer Bundle 8 sale, which was apparently a mistake. Hopefully buying and having even more fun with the expansion will wipe away my guilt.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

KlavoHunter posted:

Your starting planet has a large number of tiles, so it's not bad to make it into your capital, especially when your Tier II resource planets have few tiles.

I usually find one of those planets whose trait is being massive to make into my capital, and one of the ones with bonuses to labor on the planet as a production hub. I'm still not entirely sure I understand the game, though, and I'm never sure if I'm overpressuring a planet or if it'll grow into what I've given it.

Can somebody explain the new expansion mechanics to me? I don't need a giant effortpost tutorial, I just don't really understand what I'm looking at at a glance.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Is there actually a mechanic to make a world your capital? I never noticed it.

I bought this game on the sale! I probably shouldn't have, because I'm a poor welfare guy who need to save money, but I am having a real good time with it!

I love the diplomacy system, especially the Intense Realism where one race will demand the annexation of a random planet near my border, and the argument goes on for years, finally ending at 71-74 votes against... only for that same government to demand the same planet up to three more times, ramping up the effort each time.10/10 would vote again.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

John Lee posted:

Is there actually a mechanic to make a world your capital? I never noticed it.

By "capital" we're talking about a planet you focus on sending pressure to so it builds a lot of buildings, and give bonuses to like naming it.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I also felt bad for getting this in the killer 8 bundle when I read about it, but bought the expansion and convinced a friend to buy it as well so my guilt is abated.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The ship design is awesome once you start building size 2000-3000+ titans and unlock piles of research

Ship design early on isn't nearly as fun. Love the meaningful design decisions

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

just got this game recently having never really paid much attention to it

but drat, best 4x-style space game I've ever played (up there with moo2)

the unique mechanics this game offers are not only extremely refreshing but in most regards major improvements over the standard fare

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

here's something silly I made, a teleporting solar powered suicide ship

the Bussard engine gives it hilariously cheap maintenance cost, the teleport has 0.6x cost factor (about 50 to 60 energy or so to teleport from missile range into a fleet blob)

I have a lower tech rocket version too which packs slightly more damage but does double the maintenance expense

cl_gibcount 9999 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 29, 2016

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Jsor posted:

By "capital" we're talking about a planet you focus on sending pressure to so it builds a lot of buildings, and give bonuses to like naming it.

I figured, but thanks for the confirmation!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first game but Star Ruler 2 is one of the best 4x games I'm playing now. Doesn't have too much clutter like Distant Worlds and has more believable battles than Sins of a Solar Empire. I get my rear end kicked by the A.I. and undermined diplomatically.
My only gripe is the lack of an "auto-design" for the ship blueprints as I feel its tedious to have to keep scaling up the ships manually every few shipyards.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Just bought this today and I'm enjoying the heck out of it, it's got a very fresh feel to it that I haven't gotten from a lot of games recently. It's also far more intuitive than the original, great for Bad At Videogames guys like myself. The only big thing I've had to get from the thread so far is the relationship between population and money, which I could't find spelled out in any menu of the main game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Entorwellian posted:

I wasn't the biggest fan of the first game but Star Ruler 2 is one of the best 4x games I'm playing now. Doesn't have too much clutter like Distant Worlds and has more believable battles than Sins of a Solar Empire. I get my rear end kicked by the A.I. and undermined diplomatically.
My only gripe is the lack of an "auto-design" for the ship blueprints as I feel its tedious to have to keep scaling up the ships manually every few shipyards.

There is an auto design button, also to scale stuff up you just type a bigger number in the size box. What are you looking for specifically?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

it would be nice if you could refit ships into completely different ship templates, so you could have several versions of a ship pre-built and ready to import as researched techs make more designs possible

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Directed at the dev/s, who I hope still reads this thread: I got this game a little while ago, and have been enjoying it immensely. But there are a few things that I might like to see altered or changed, if any further support is forthcoming.

First, this bit:

It says that this planet has Imported Pressure and Active Pressure, which is true, but 7 of that active pressure isn't imported, it's just produced by that planet itself. It's not terribly confusing once you understand how things work, but it's still inaccurate; why the assumption that any pressure is imported rather than native?

Also relating to that planet:

Why is any resource not being imported to another planet considered 'unused?' Certainly, it's often best to use the resource to boost another planet, but that assumes a kind of best-case scenario; it's common that I simply don't have a use for a given planet at that exact moment. But the resource on the planet in my first picture, Flo IV, is considered to be 'unused' even though it's being fully exploited, which seems a strange choice of words. Maybe "Unexported Resources?' The fact that it's a default tab should be clue enough that it's something you want to watch out for.

Finally, and the thing I think is most in need of a fix: Fog of war as regarding planets you haven't seen in a while doesn't work in a critical respect.

I don't know jack about these planets, but by hovering over the resource icon, I can clearly see that they're held by and importing resources to a nearby civ. No need to bother, then!

On the whole, though, my complaints are pretty mild. Thanks for making such a great game, I can see I'll be playing it for years to come!

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
I still read the thread, yes. However it seems prudent to point out that the studio is now closed and Andrew and myself have gone separate ways. I'm still looking for a new studio to call home but am in the meanwhile contracting myself out to playful corporation. Andrew is moving on to some business in the tech sector as a programmer.

Though we hope to join up again at a later point in time when we have the money to fund another games production, that time is not likely to be soon. We will of course continue to support the game in our free time and I'll still be here if folks have questions or whatnot. Thank you for your support and we hope you continue to enjoy the game.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I'm really sad about how it all turned out. Unfortunately it appears that sometimes, the cream doesn't rise to the top after all. SR2 was one of the best 4x games I've played in years.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's pretty unfortunate how the word of mouth never got around because it really is a really good 4x space game. It's the saddest thing when people are going around saying stellaris is crap but that it's still better than all other 4x games out there by far. The power of advertisement

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

That's a shame, it truly is the best 4x game in a long long time

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Unfortunate! You made a really great game, and I'm sad to see the company close down. I hope everything goes well for you in the future, though.

edit: Hey, uh, Firgof... Any chance of the fans getting some of your secret stash of Star Ruler lore? I know you got the goods, man.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 21, 2016

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
That'd depend on whether Andrew wants me to put it out or not. He did pay for it after all.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Have been playing as The First and really enjoy it, I have a few questions about some of the Attitude choices though since quite a bit of it simply doesn't apply to them.

In the Collectivism attitude, level 2 grants 2 more labor generation to factories, does that apply to the foundry? I know they get, at least partially, the factory labor bonus research nodes.

Level 5 gives +10% hp per factory to ships built on the planet, does that function with foundries?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Firgof, Thank you for the really excellent game and I hope your next project showers you with wealth and renown. :unsmith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

This game and you guys deserved better. I hope you can find a good place to work and maybe come back to the series in the future. Thank you for an incredibly good game that has given and will continue to give many hours of enjoyment to me. :unsmith:

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

The First DO have access to FTL. They had the solution all along and didn't even know it

Instant point to point teleportation.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Almost like they've got SR1s Jump Drive tech, right?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I just picked it up and I'm having some trouble. I'm struggling to pace expansion and not run out of money, I can't level up my planets without colonizing to get resources, but trying to get my homeworlds to level 3 just bankrupts me. How should I be planning things out or pacing myself?

And does anyone have any starter advise in general? The wiki is shockingly bare bones for a type of game like this, I don't know what to tech for, when/if I should go for buildings, etc.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Early on you might wait until your homeworld (or other world you're colonizing from) is at full pop before colonizing another planet. That will help keep you from going too far negative.

Or play a refugee race (Heralds IIRC?). Colonizing has no upkeep for them.

As far as advice, I mainly pick tech based on what I need at the moment. With buildings, I generally only use them late game, but if I'm pinned in without room to expand I'll definitely start using them to grow tall instead of wide.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Palleon posted:

Sorry to resurrect this thread from the dead, but I just picked it up and I'm having some trouble. I'm struggling to pace expansion and not run out of money, I can't level up my planets without colonizing to get resources, but trying to get my homeworlds to level 3 just bankrupts me. How should I be planning things out or pacing myself?

And does anyone have any starter advise in general? The wiki is shockingly bare bones for a type of game like this, I don't know what to tech for, when/if I should go for buildings, etc.

Unless your Homeworld has some kind of interesting resource, there isn't really a reason to get it to level 3 first. Look for a financial resource and get that to level 3/4/5 instead. Also prioritize financial resource planets in general. After you've got a decent economy look for an industrial/unique resource planet to build up.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. Also, what is the benefit of a tier 3 resource, they don't seem to be used for levelling up, do they just make a ton of pressure?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

They do, and they also all have a special effect. Should tell you in the corner info box when you have the resource selected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

If you get a good planet with a level-based effect then yeah work on getting that up to max level asap, but otherwise leveling up your homeworld is perfectly fine.

You'll want a planet with plenty of room on it and the homeworld is often the best option available so if you can't rush to grab a special planet then definitely get the homeworld to level 5.

• Locked thread