Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pruse5
Jul 11, 2006
i like hamburgers
I just saw an article about how the first penny ever made recently sold for 1.2 million dollars and was made in 1792. How much stuff could you buy if you lived in 1792 and had a penny to spend? I tried searching on Google and couldn't really find anything but I think it could be an interesting topic. Here's the penny http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/27/news/first-u-s-penny-auction/index.html?iid=HP_River

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Use this website.

In 2013, the relative value of $0.01 from 1792 ranges from $0.24 to $746.00.

A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $0.25. This answer is obtained by multiplying $0.01 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1792 to 2013.

This may not be the best answer.

The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity , Income or Wealth , or a Project . For more discussion on how to pick the best measure, read the essay "Explaining the Measures of Worth."

If you want to compare the value of a $0.01 Commodity in 1792 there are three choices. In 2013 the relative:
real price of that commodity is $0.25
labor value of that commodity is $4.15(using the unskilled wage) or $11.60(using production worker compensation)
income value of that commodity is $9.83

If you want to compare the value of a $0.01 Income or Wealth , in 1792 there are three choices. In 2013 the relative:
historic standard of living value of that income or wealth is $0.25
economic status value of that income or wealth is $9.83
economic power value of that income or wealth is $746.00

If you want to compare the value of a $0.01 Project in 1792 there are four choices. In 2013 the relative:
historic opportunity cost of that project is $0.24
labor cost of that project is $4.15(using the unskilled wage) or $11.60(using production worker compensation)
economy cost of that project is $746.00

pruse5
Jul 11, 2006
i like hamburgers
Thank you that is very helpful. Although I was hoping I could get some concrete examples. Like how much would things like a beer, or new shoes, or a horse, or a haircut cost back then?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Um pretty sure the first penny dates to about the 8th century AD :colbert:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

pruse5 posted:

I just saw an article about how the first penny ever made recently sold for 1.2 million dollars and was made in 1792. How much stuff could you buy if you lived in 1792 and had a penny to spend? I tried searching on Google and couldn't really find anything but I think it could be an interesting topic. Here's the penny http://money.cnn.com/2015/03/27/news/first-u-s-penny-auction/index.html?iid=HP_River

According to http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq5.html#tavern, a good breakfast cost a shilling, or 12 pennies. This was the same price as a night's lodging. A beer was on the order of a night's lodging, as well. A single penny would probably get you a few needles, a shoelace, probably a glass of milk. In England at the time, the price of a loaf of bread was fixed at a penny; its weight changed somewhat based on certain factors.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Things on the cheap menu at Taco Bell or Wendy's would probably cost 2 or 3 1792 pennies. Also the penny isn't a unit of currency in the USA.

jejeje
Dec 25, 2004
fetus
One or perhaps two hot cross buns.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A Something Awful account.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax
pork chops adn apple sauce

surc
Aug 17, 2004

cheerfullydrab posted:

Also the penny isn't a unit of currency in the USA.

Hi, I'm Common Usage. I'm about to beat the poo poo out of your friend Official Terminology until nobody will even admit he was here, and there's nothing you can do about it!

I mean, c'mon! We even created a plural for "penny" that was separate from the british plural (pennies v. pence/whatever the other british plural for penny I'm forgetting is).

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
You could get an hour with a moderately-priced prostitute.

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
It's 1792, though, so she would just show you her ankle or some poo poo.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
I went to a Tudor house in the UK once where they were in character as people from the 1600s and they said a house cost £8, if that helps provide some perspective.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

ScratchAndSniff posted:

It's 1792, though, so she would just show you her ankle or some poo poo.

Could you rub your junk on it?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ScratchAndSniff posted:

You could get an hour with a moderately-priced prostitute.

well, actually :nws:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So if that coin is only good to buy sex with what did the prostitutes spend it on? Maybe that was like a rewards card for frequent humpers?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Elephanthead posted:

So if that coin is only good to buy sex with what did the prostitutes spend it on? Maybe that was like a rewards card for frequent humpers?

The going theory is that you bought the token at the front and then gave it to the sex slave (who probably didn't speak Latin) to tell them what you wanted. Also they were priced in asses.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Did you NWS a coin with barely distinguishable features?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Did you NWS a coin with barely distinguishable features?

I really, really want to know what workplace could possibly be bothered by an employee looking at that coin.

• Locked thread