Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
When a pack of sinister russians wielding knives and a flamethrower show up at your workplace, you rarely expect to have a good day. Fortunately for me, they were just there to pick up their pigs! They bought them live on the hoof at the farm, dispatched them, whipped out the flamethrower, singed the hair off, then dressed their hogs. But they cut off the head and were just going to toss them! I asked politely, and they just GAVE me a pig's head! How nice!

YA'LL WANT A HAM

Look at the fat on this thing. It's deeper then the first joint of my thumb. Of course, it did live off of mostly baked goods, old veg, and head scritchies. That's where all the love went!

We're going to give you a nice salt scrub here hun, really exfoliate and open up the pores.

You wish your fridge looked like this.

I figure i'm gonna throw it on the grill at 375ish for an hour, then lower the temp and cook for another 2 hours to let all that loveliness render out.

Of course, my mom is freaked out about prions. These pigs are heritage breed and healthy, never exposed to feeding animal by-product, and kept in a daily cleaned enclosure. Exemplary biosecurity. I figure if you've ever eaten a hormel product you've had more exposure then a healthy head will. As a matter of safety though, I will remove the brain. Later. Right now it's passing through rigor, and my hatchet is rusty.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Are you gonna apply some barbecue sauce to that poo poo?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
No BBQ sauce here, just salt and sugar. The sugar might have been a mistake, it burnt on the bottom of the pan I was using. However, due to the copious amounts of drippings, it did not stick! (this is displayed on a different pan then what I cooked in, this cookie sheet would have not held anywhere near the fat that came off this thing)

WHY MUST I BE SO TASTY

Cleaned skull and meat

Pile of chopped delicious in tupperware, scraps and other bits I don't want to eat on baking sheet. (the eyeballs were a bit much)

The head bits can be used in many tasty applications, such as on top of rice, in salads, in eggs, and in other pork applications. I even made some pate!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 31, 2015

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That looks fantastic, good on you for taking it instead of letting it be wasted!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I've been ill with some really bad sinus headaches the past week, and not very hungry. But I have made things with my leftovers! One was kinda-poutine made with ghetto gorton style spread instead of gravy on top of sweet potato fries and havarti cheese. It was stupid good. I'm going to make it again, but with green beans instead of fries next time.

I also just spooned some into some green beans and rice I microwaved for dinner. The skin has lost it's crunch, but still has a delightful, toothsome texture that offsets nicely with the fat! So, pig head leftovers do store well in the fridge.

Oh. Every time i've used the leftovers, I've added allspice. It's fantastic with fatty pork. Really cuts the grease and lifts the flavor, but not like an acid does.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 2, 2015

Sour Blossom
Apr 21, 2005
L O L 6 6
I was hoping you were going to go all guanciale on it, but I guess that'd just go in the charcuterie thread. Did you collect the fat that you rendered off?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What can you do with eye?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

chaos rhames posted:

What can you do with eye?

Eat it. I was not that brave.

I didn't render off more them a few cups of fat, and the lot of sugar from my attempted salt and sugar scrub burnt on the bottom of the pan, discoliring the fat. I had no use for it, so i dug a hole and buried it in the yard.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I made David Chang's pig head torchon a while back. A whole head is pretty cheap and the finished product was tasty. The process of separating the boiled head into meat/fat/other was less than pleasant though.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Eyes are delicious. I haven't eaten pig's eyes but lamb eyes are loving outstanding. Eat the eyes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Shbobdb posted:

Eyes are delicious. I haven't eaten pig's eyes but lamb eyes are loving outstanding. Eat the eyes.

It was a huge lump of fat looking thing. I dunno how much I would have enjoyed that.

Bad news, tupperware of pig head meat was thrown out in the GREAT REFIDGERATOR AND FREEZER PURGE. I did eat a few meals with it though. Also, this is all to make room for a bunch of pork I will be getting for my birthday (slaughtering my own pig!) so it all works out.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Suspect Bucket posted:

It was a huge lump of fat looking thing. I dunno how much I would have enjoyed that.

Pig eye is great. We did a roast pig at our wedding, and I got to enjoy the pig eyes. They are like nice delicious globs of pig fat.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Eat them with a piece of bread.

GreaseGunner
Dec 26, 2012

Just chillin'
But is it halal?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Turks eat the gently caress out of lambs' eyes.

That doesn't necessarily make it halal but it does make it not-not Halal.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I don't know much about halal beyond 'no pork' and 'similar kinda to kosher except not because someone will get mad at you for saying so'.

I just don't like hellaciously greasy/wiggly solids unless it's offset by something crunchy or toothsome. It's why I don't like Jello much. I dont think I could do a whole eyeball on it's own. Now, quartered and on a crispbread with hot sauce or a nice whole grain mustard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Scoop one out beforehand and put it in a small jar of vodka and mess with people

• Locked thread