Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Lately I've been devouring longform articles and was looking for some suggestions for pieces I might have missed or ones from the past that deserve a mention. I looked around and didn't find a thread for posting them, though feel free to link one if I missed it and I'll close the thread.

Longform.org is a wonderful resource for finding some great articles and they do an end of year review in many different subject areas. To prevent this thread from just being a copy-paste from there however, try and include a statement or reaction to the piece. Here's a few that have stuck with me to get things started:

The Body in Room 358, Mark Bowden
Real life contemporary PI story. This is actually the second article by Bowden chronicling one of Ken Brennan's cases. The victim's family hired Brennan after reading the first article published in 2010. Any fan of true crime or detective stories will dig this. Bowden seems like the classic hardass PI.

The Food Bubble, Fredrick Kaufman
Really fascinating look into the world of grain trading and how the commodification of food has changed the world. Pretty scathing look on how Goldman Sach's specifically had a hand in starving millions of people.

Fatal Distraction, Gene Weingarten
Pulitzer prize winning piece from 2009. Of all the things I've read in the past several years, this is by far the most haunting and gut-wrenching. I can't get it out of my head and elements from it frequently intrude into my thoughts. I first read it a couple of years ago and honestly don't know if I could stomach to read it again.

I'm a sucker for good crime reporting as well and have heard good things about the Best American Crime Reporting series, though unfortunately it seems it hasn't been published since 2010.

Also any and all arguments on how bullshit/genuine articles are are of course expected and more than welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

What a great idea for a thread! A long time ago, I think in the scary wiki thread, a goon posted this article that impressed the poo poo out of me. I love nothing more than a determined detective who won't let go of a supposedly unsolvable case.

The Case of the Vanishing Blonde

They also posted one about the forgotten women who were murdered by truckers in the 60s and 70s, nobody cared enough to bother looking into missing drifters and prostitutes. It's chilling and I wish I could find it again.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Dr Scoofles posted:

What a great idea for a thread! A long time ago, I think in the scary wiki thread, a goon posted this article that impressed the poo poo out of me. I love nothing more than a determined detective who won't let go of a supposedly unsolvable case.

The Case of the Vanishing Blonde

They also posted one about the forgotten women who were murdered by truckers in the 60s and 70s, nobody cared enough to bother looking into missing drifters and prostitutes. It's chilling and I wish I could find it again.

That is actually the first article following Ken Brennan mentioned in the OP. It inspired the family of the second to hire him. They both read like a classic hard boiled novel:

"The following morning, Apple picked up Brennan and they visited the hotel room, where Apple showed him the crime-scene photos and the autopsy results, and reviewed what he had done over the previous seven months. Brennan heard him out and then announced, “I think I know how this guy died. I think I know when he died. I think I know who killed him. And I think I know how we’re going to catch him.”

“Come on!” said Apple."

GunChicka
Dec 5, 2014

bang bang

Holy moly, I was not prepared for reading this today.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

GunChicka posted:

Holy moly, I was not prepared for reading this today.

I read it last night, and I'm still thinking about it this morning. I can see why this won a Pulitzer, loving outstanding piece of journalism but gently caress is it ever the biggest :smith: I ever read.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Not a true crime one but:

Mother Earth Mother Board, Neal Stephenson

56 pages about cables written to commemorate the construction of FLAG in 1996. If you can get past Stephenson's writing quirks, which were probably a lot less irritating 20 years ago, the article's a really interesting look at the foundations of civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ProPublica just put out a great piece on California group homes for kids with severe emotional disorders

There's a companion video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwDvfy_NSds

Warning: extremely :smith:

• Locked thread