Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the scariest?
ghosts
monsters
the human psyche
this season's lineup
View Results

• Locked thread
OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've read a couple of spooky manga, mostly Ito stuff, but never really seen a spooky anime.

Horror is a weird genre to me because I'm not exactly scared by what I'm seeing, but if it's really good it can get under my skin and make me feel ooky for a little while. To that end, the only anime I've ever watched that has given me that kind of feeling was Higurashi, and I had to skip around a lot to avoid the really asinine harem VN-based premise.

Sharkopath posted:

Me, My Sister, and Ghosts is a funny comic that uses a lot of the standard ghost story introductions and inverts them for comedy.

Normally I wouldn't count it but it's really good and the hiscore girl guy did it so nyeh.

thank you for this recommendation I too have a soft spot for horror-themed things about people who get sick of ghosts poo poo and just beat the hell out of them

ushio and tora aoty 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Smoking Crow posted:

Is it horror or is it a thriller?

There is some weird imagery and I remember getting somewhat disturbed by the characters when I first read it. Not sure if that counts as scary.

Also, something I never quite understood is the difference between horror and thriller. Hell, I didn't understand the difference between horror and terror until I looked it up.

Smoking Crow posted:

There are three types of Horror:

Horror: fear coming from the threat of something scary happening

Terror: fear coming from something scary happening

Revulsion: negative emotions from something gross happening

Ann Radcliffe wrote it so it has to be true

Based on this, it looks like you got horror and terror mixed up.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Aku no Hana is a thriller, despite some of the imagery.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
My favorite Junji Ito story is actually The Human Chair.

• Locked thread