Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
My last "roommate" I let crash at my place after a super bowl party. Who dat! He would get blackout drunk, and propositioned my girlfriend, and I kicked him out. Now I got a dude who went on a drug fueled killing spree after a dozen dudes raped and murdered his sister, my friend, his baby mom a and now his brother. True dat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
They are wearing out their welcome too.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Those are some amazing rants. There are so many! I have more too. Tomorrow.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

My first place out college was a house share run by the town slumlord (guy rents out maybe a third of the rooms on Craigslist, going by the phone number) whose idea of how to maintain a place was to keep a huge pile of broken-down appliances in the backyard, and when someone called in to report a broken fridge/oven/whatever in the house rotate it with one of the ones in the backyard. That was fine, he couldn't maintain the place and I couldn't pay rent on time, so we got along OK. The other tenants were ghosts except for one mentally disabled guy who'd get roaring drunk every night and left giant piles of Black Tails all over the common areas. That was okay too, I got along with him good when he was sober and he'd stay in his room when he was wasted. Then he started leaving out packages of meat, too - like, raw chicken and poo poo, still wrapped from the store, and it wouldn't just be in the kitchen it'd be in the yard and by the appliance piles and I guess wherever he happened to be when he lost track of making dinner. Then one of the other tenants moved out and got replaced by some woman and her tiny screaming children, who couldn't all fit in their room except to sleep so they were usually screaming directly outside my bedroom door, at 8AM, and only one of them spoke a word of English, and raccoons were starting to hang out around the house to eat the rotting meat and the kids all wanted to go out and pet the kitties. So I moved.

A couple years later, I split a lease with two other guys on a really nice house that was extremely cheap divided between three people, and within a few months one and then the other decided that paying rent went against their free artistic spirits and was better left to drudges like me. and they'd like totally pay me back whenever they got rich. I started out by trying to work out some kind of deal with them, but it became clear pretty quickly that while they'd never state it in such bald terms (and would usually grudgingly fork up some fraction of the amount they owed, when pressed) there's no point in compromise for the guy who thinks he's gonna get a free ride. So I started scouting out a sublet to take the load off me, and landed some uh interesting characters that way. Then they started fighting with the non-leaseholding but actually-rent-paying tenants, and poo poo escalated to the point where the latter had to be evicted, and that lead to my final and successful approach of presenting them with the fairly terrifying bill they'd racked up and making it clear I'd be spending all day coming up with ways to make their lives hell like only someone who lives in your house and loving hates you can, at which point they both vanished instantly and without fuss.

It turns out it's a whole hell of a lot easier to keep a house clean, quiet, and devoid of cops kicking down doors when you're the sole leaseholder and everyone answers to you, and I never actually had to even chase after anyone to pay up or clean up from that point onward.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

those were the lovely roommates I had to actually do something about but in retrospect all those stories are the same so here's a couple of the guys I liked and would have been happy to keep on:

Fat black transvestite beautician obsessed with RuPaul's Drag Race, opened a kitchen-table beauty parlor in the house. Actually had a few repeat customers, who apparently enjoyed coming in looking more or less like girls and coming out hours later looking like Divine. Evicted after he developed a habit of singing loudly at 4AM and calling the cops if the other tenants asked him to stop.

Twentysomething dirtbag pizza boy who slept for like eight months on my dirty old couch dragged into his bedroom, had actually inherited this couch-as-bed situation from one of the previous leaseholders (see above), neither of whom used sheets or AFAIK ever washed the thing, despite his being able to afford to buy and crash at least two new cars in this same timespan. Also slept with a gun under his pillow, despite domestic violence charges and an ongoing restraining order that I'm pretty sure explicitly blocked him from having firearms. Was in an on-again off-again relationship with the girl who filed the restraining order, who'd nonetheless come over to his place pretty regularly to gently caress him, until one night where they threw a wild beer bash she for some reason invited her disapproving mother to; which lead a few hours later to her disapproving father showing up, breaking into the house, and trying to strangle him in his bed. Vanished like a ghost in the night shortly after this incident, leaving behind only some court documents, the couch of nightmares, and a standing burglary/assault case against murder-dad I wound up dropping because honestly, who could blame him.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
Please share some more of these stories, it's really making my morning.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
One of my best roommates was a meth addict.. He kept the warehouse apartment immaculate. He did have weirdos knocking on the door at all hours, but that fucker would sweep, mop put things away and do the dishes.I like doing laundry. My mom used to take it out of the drier and throw it on us watching TV, and you soak up the heat before getting to work... Good times...

Dudes baby momma used 4 rolls of toilet paper in 2 days. Wtf?

killendino_001
Jul 7, 2006
I had been out of the US Army for a year or so when an army buddy of mine got out and came to hang with me. I was young...19 or 20 and didn't really have a good place to live, but what the hell. I worked for dad, and slept in my car mostly. This buddy and I bounced around between some friends, relatives and apartments before we decided it would be a good idea to buy a house in Detroit. This probably wasn't a bad neighborhood, but he and I grew up white, in middle class suburbia, so we stuck out pretty good.

This house was a dump in the first place, but we made it even worse. He had a dog he did not clean up after and so there was dog poo poo all over the place for a while. We never cut the grass or did any kind of maintenance. After we got broke into and everything of value stolen, our helpful ghetto neighbors said, "Maybe if you took care of your place". At this point, we are both equally bad roommates. He was alcoholic by then, and I was just plain lazy as hell.

I started to change. I landed a decent job and started paying bills more-or-less on time. I started hanging out with people that had their poo poo together. My roommate on the other hand, continued his way. Eventually it became time to cut bait as we were starting to argue about poo poo. I was getting money to go to school from the VA and one of my checks ended up stolen out of the mail. I figured it was my roomie, but without any proof, who can say for sure. Shortly after the check disappeared, he did too. He moved back to San Diego where he was from originally. While working through the process with the VA and the bank on the check that was stolen, I ended up getting a copy of the cashed check and sure enough my roomie had poorly forged my signature on it. Then endorsed it himself. Part of me didn't blame him. poo poo was bad for both of us, really. It just didn't work out.

The "bad roommate" part came from when I cleaned up the house to give it back to the mortgage company. I'm not even sure really why I cleaned the place up. I probably didn't have too, but maybe there was a security deposit involved or something; I don't recall. Anyway, that was an utter poo poo infested mess down in his "room", in the basement. I was literally using a shovel to gather old clothes into trash bags. I couldn't use my hands because they clothes were damp, mouldering piles of what used to be clothes. MIxed with dog poo poo and fast food containers. I'm reminded of this cleanup whenever I see someones pictures of hoarder houses.

The clean up culminated in a call to the cops to come out and remove a wooden ammo crate full of 7.62. I have no clue how he got that poo poo from the Army, down into the basement without me knowing about it, but there it was. Also, there were a couple of Artillery simulator rounds down there. All of this stuff was in bad shape. I was both afraid to handle it for fear that it might be unstable, and also unsure what to do with it. FYI, calling the cops was the right thing to do. They went in, took the poo poo out, took a brief report, and that was it. Apparently this is not a big deal to cops in Detroit.

To this day, part of me misses that guy. If he lived anywhere around me, I'd probably have reached out to him and mended the fences. We both had our problems after all. I'm sure we're both well adjusted adults by now, and why live harboring ill will toward an army buddy because of poo poo that went down 20+ years ago?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I went potluck my sophomore year of college. Roommate moved in a week ahead of me and spent that week making a fallout zone of the place. Trash strewn everywhere. Empty pizza boxes were a favorite. By the time I moved in, there was an ant problem, and he had received an invitation to move off-campus with a friend. Moved what little he cared about out of the room in a day and left me with everything else.

I chose my roommate junior year. Weird and quirky, but seemed like he'd stay out of my hair. He was dating a girl who was drop dead gorgeous, one of the prettiest women I've ever known. And by "dating," I mean "cheating on with another girl who brought nothing to the table outside of a shared love of Gamecube." Hey, his life, but...such a baffling decision. He and I would eventually drift apart but the original girlfriend became one of my best friends. I had just been dumped by an abusive ex prior to this year, so she and I would commiserate on many a night and grew close off our shared college-years misery.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 17, 2015

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

When I moved in with my current girlfriend, we had to live with her friend, Dori, for a month. Dori was a overweight emo girl who was suppose to be on medication for her depression. After a week of living with her, Dori decided that she was going to quit school and be a lazy piece of poo poo for the month before moving back to Alberta. It started off with cooking some of the worst smelling food from some health cookbook and not doing the dishes. This escalated to yelling at house guests and breaking the washing machine when she force loaded a whole month's worth of clothes into it. She got mad when we hung our martial arts gis out to dry when she left her dirty clothes in

The worst of this was the cat she adopted, Serria. She was a "Personal Assistant" type and she just wanted to be around her owner. Too bad the owner was in her room all the time and never let the cat in nor pay attention to her. The cat's litter box was never cleaned once and she kept meowing at me when I came home. Dori always told us she was going to clean it but the smell got beyond offensive most times so I cleaned it. Before she left, she wanted us to adopt the cat because she did not want to give it away. We already have a guinea pig and the cat already tried to attack it in the cage so it was not going to happen. When she dropped it off to the SPCA, she was not sad to see go but sad it costs $77 to donate a cat back to them.

Since she was loading everything in a Sunfire (along her useless boyfriend), she left a ton of junk in the apartment. When we talked to the landlord, Dori never told that the landlord that she was leaving so she came over for a inspection of the room. When the Landlord opened the door, she almost vomited from the smell. There was fast food garbage all over the place and she was taking dumps in coffee cans and storing them in her room to avoid contact with us. There were so many stains on the carpet in the room that it was hard to tell if it was from human waste or food. She easily lost her damage deposit and was given a bill for the new flooring that needed to be installed along with cleaning costs.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I'm currently living with, not the worst roommate you'll ever find, but far from an ideal one. He's generally messy as hell and apparently doesn't believe he has roommates (probably because he spends half his time at his girlfriend's). I live in a 3-bedroom condo, with the owner and said bad roommate. We've all known each other since college, but graduated 3-4 years ago. I get up early (4:30) to exercise before going to work (7:00) and I'm in bed by 21:00 so even when my roommate comes home I hardly see him during the week.

The owner has the master bedroom which has its own bathroom so I share the other one. This roommate will shave and leave all of his stubble to dry all over the sink along with a few big blobs of dried out shaving cream for good measure. He can't seem to hit the garbage can or check if he hit the target so his trash ends up on the floor. He somehow doesn't understand that cutting your pubes over the toilet means you should wipe the rim after of your trimmings. His hair is longer than shoulder-length so that clogs the drains. In the 10 months I've been here he's never properly cleaned the bathroom (but he's wiped off the countertop so that totally counts!).

His room is a total mess. He's tidied it once since I've moved in and that was because that was what his girlfriend requested for Christmas. I could move my entire room into his and he couldn't tell what belonged to me. He brings cups into his room and will leave them there for months until myself or the owner realize we're getting low and will brave a journey into his room.

He smokes weed in the living room and sometimes burns incense to try and mask the smell but it mostly stinks the condo up. He is also allergic to doing dishes because he covered a Foreman grill with something, closed it and left it on the countertop slightly obscured so you wouldn't know at a glance. It disappeared once and the next day I found it in a cabinet still dirty. Disgusted, I left it open on the main countertop until he manned up and cleaned it (again at the behest of his girlfriend).

Sadly the owner is complicit in this because he himself is a bit messy (eg he leaves a plate and cup on the coffee table sometimes) and "Well, bad roommate just has a higher threshold for messiness and doesn't think it's a problem." They don't realize that part of being a reasonable adult means that your cleanliness standards are set at whoever is the cleanest. I'll own that I haven't confronted said bad roommate partly because I hardly see him and I won't bitch him out through texts. Mainly just waiting for him to move in with his girlfriend in a few months.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

all of my housemates are goons

ask me about Living In Goonhouse

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

:whitewater:

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

My roommate keeps turning the fridge up to the coldest setting and freezing all my eggs and vegetables for some reason. Again, not gross or terrible relative to these other stories but I have no explanation for this bizarre behavior.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Steve Jorbs posted:

My roommate keeps turning the fridge up to the coldest setting and freezing all my eggs and vegetables for some reason. Again, not gross or terrible relative to these other stories but I have no explanation for this bizarre behavior.

I would talk to him about this exactly once, and if it happened again the knob would come off. What the hell. :pwn:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Our house has two parking spots. One belongs to me, the other to another roommate. This was a condition for me to move in.

I NEED a spot: I work late nights (2-3am getting home), bring 800lbs of gear with me that needs to be loaded in after work, and with a limited number of guest spots that fill up routinely at 5pm, I don't want the stress. This has worked alright for a few months.

This morning another roommate has their car in the other spot. I have three jobs this weekend that will bring me home late. I am nervous especially with a monstrous tourist weekend upon us. I text them saying that the sooner they can move their car, the better. It turns into a "Well I can use these spots, too!" rant and getting mad at me for starting out their morning with such demands. I can literally show them the text message where they said sorry initially and that they would never poach a spot again (from the beginning of our lease).

They are pissed, I'm stressed more than usual as a result, and our lease ends next month. I haven't had a day off in almost ten weeks and am just annoyed beyond belief. Just gonna hope that things go okay the last five weeks of our lease together.

I don't want to get home at 2am with roommate drunk and combative about moving their shite car because they couldn't be bothered to stay away from the bar after work.

Edit: Am I wrong? I mean, I feel bad because she got VERY combative about the whole situation, but it's already been decided? I need to stand up for myself and my well being, right?

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 20, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

19 o'clock posted:

Our house has two parking spots. One belongs to me, the other to another roommate. This was a condition for me to move in.

I NEED a spot: I work late nights (2-3am getting home), bring 800lbs of gear with me that needs to be loaded in after work, and with a limited number of guest spots that fill up routinely at 5pm, I don't want the stress. This has worked alright for a few months.

This morning another roommate has their car in the other spot. I have three jobs this weekend that will bring me home late. I am nervous especially with a monstrous tourist weekend upon us. I text them saying that the sooner they can move their car, the better. It turns into a "Well I can use these spots, too!" rant and getting mad at me for starting out their morning with such demands. I can literally show them the text message where they said sorry initially and that they would never poach a spot again (from the beginning of our lease).

They are pissed, I'm stressed more than usual as a result, and our lease ends next month. I haven't had a day off in almost ten weeks and am just annoyed beyond belief. Just gonna hope that things go okay the last five weeks of our lease together.

I don't want to get home at 2am with roommate drunk and combative about moving their shite car because they couldn't be bothered to stay away from the bar after work.

Edit: Am I wrong? I mean, I feel bad because she got VERY combative about the whole situation, but it's already been decided? I need to stand up for myself and my well being, right?

You had an agreement with them to leave you the spot so you don't have to haul 800lbs. of stuff up and down the street every day. They broke the agreement, and now they are telling you to go gently caress yourself. They are inconsiderate douchebags. I suggest moving out early, and sticking them with whatever bills your name isn't on as a farewell.

Edit: The roommates that aren't involved in this dispute aren't going to bat for you either, so don't worry about how things effect them, as they're not worried about you.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Reynold posted:

You had an agreement with them to leave you the spot so you don't have to haul 800lbs. of stuff up and down the street every day. They broke the agreement, and now they are telling you to go gently caress yourself. They are inconsiderate douchebags. I suggest moving out early, and sticking them with whatever bills your name isn't on as a farewell.

Edit: The roommates that aren't involved in this dispute aren't going to bat for you either, so don't worry about how things effect them, as they're not worried about you.

It was different hauling this gear when I was 22.

Thanks, for this. The longest standing roommate has gone to bat and called it out: closest spot is mine, the other one can be figured out if homegirl really feels she deserves access.

This marks a year and a half with lovely roommates. Raging alcoholics who want to start fights at 2am when they come home blacked out, messy drunks who pass out and leave the stove on. I miss my roomy before all of this - normal job, drank beer like a normal person, respectful...we had four great years together :(.

Thanks for the response. Gonna jump into this thread as I feel bad venting without contributing...

EDIT: Friend came through with a room next month if I need it. Gonna give the roommate the ultimatum: let's be cool, or I bail.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 20, 2015

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Shoren posted:

They don't realize that part of being a reasonable adult means that your cleanliness standards are set at whoever is the cleanest. I'll own that I haven't confronted said bad roommate partly because I hardly see him and I won't bitch him out through texts. Mainly just waiting for him to move in with his girlfriend in a few months.

Basically both of these points. I wouldn't frame it in that language, but let the roommate know that it's causing you stress to come home to a mess. I would offer to buy the cleaning supplies and everything if it meant that people would use them on the regular. Hope it works out...I'm OCD about cleanliness so that would drive me up the wall.

As far as them moving in...is that a sure thing? Because if it doesn't actually affect your living situation in a meaningful way, it may be better to just let it slide for a moment until they migrate elsewhere with someone who embraces their grotiness.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

19 o'clock posted:

EDIT: Friend came through with a room next month if I need it. Gonna give the roommate the ultimatum: let's be cool, or I bail.

Just bail man... It's like a band-aid, you're just delaying the inevitable. When you have a pleasant situtation, you get up one day and have to really think when you moved in.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Shoren posted:

Sadly the owner is complicit in this because he himself is a bit messy (eg he leaves a plate and cup on the coffee table sometimes) and "Well, bad roommate just has a higher threshold for messiness and doesn't think it's a problem." They don't realize that part of being a reasonable adult means that your cleanliness standards are set at whoever is the cleanest. I'll own that I haven't confronted said bad roommate partly because I hardly see him and I won't bitch him out through texts. Mainly just waiting for him to move in with his girlfriend in a few months.

part of being a reasonable adult is if you have a beef with someone you bring it up and work it out, not just stew over made-up grownup rules that exist inside your head

Armagnac posted:

Just bail man... It's like a band-aid, you're just delaying the inevitable. When you have a pleasant situtation, you get up one day and have to really think when you moved in.

yeah if you gotta negotiate 'don't be a douchebag' there's no negotiation to be had, really. don't lock yourself in with a lease you're contractually obligated to honor on terms they can and will break on a moment's whim

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah if you gotta negotiate 'don't be a douchebag' there's no negotiation to be had, really. don't lock yourself in with a lease you're contractually obligated to honor on terms they can and will break on a moment's whim

I'm going to tough it out, for no other reason than it's the only sane option for me. I'm working my butt off to save money for a move to a new city at the end of September, when the lease is up. I'm doing the mental math of how the costs of storing stuff, breaking a lease, and moving into a new pad for just a few weeks would cost. Fingers crossed this poo poo works out for the next five weeks until I am FREE and moving onto the next city.

Thanks, y'all. The advice is sound, but with the timetable I think I just needed to vent and will look forward to moving on.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My roommates are fine, but their friend is staying with us for a while. On his last day, he whips up a big fancy meal in my new Teflon pan on high heat, all the while scraping the bottom with a hard-plastic spoon.

It really shouldn't seem petty to throw somebody out on the streets for misusing your kitchenware.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Many years ago I lived in a shared house with one of my best friends and three other random people.

Overall the house was pretty good but one of the randoms was a loving slob who got drunk all the time and passed out in random places.

There was a spare room we used as a clothes hanger room. One morning we all woke to find him gone and this room smeared in poo poo. It was on the walls, on the curtains, on the door handle, in the carpet, just loving everywhere. Fortunately there were no clothes hanging in there at the time.

He reappeared later in the day and we all confronted him about it. He profusely apologised and swore he would clean it up right away. This entailed him with a bucket of hot water and an old towel giving it a quick once over. When he was done there was still poo poo in the carpet and curtains. Over the next week we kept telling him to clean it properly and he kept swearing that he would but never did.

I decided I had had enough of his poo poo, so the next time he was passed out I took cash out of his wallet and used it to pay for a professional cleaner. The guy came the next day and did a fantastic job, he steam cleaned and disinfected everything.

Afterwards I told the slob what I had done and invited him to step outside if he had a problem with it. He made threats and stomped up and down angrily about it but didn't take me up on it.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I've lived with some characters.

"Roland" was a terminally OCD morbidly obese gay man with a penchant for maxing out his credit cards and forgetting to pay the electric bill. We had a rather tense year together with me working 50-60 hour weeks in construction and he inexplicably vanishing for several days at a time. I suspect he enjoyed getting black out drunk at bars in the next largest metro area. This culminated one evening when I got home from a 12 hour shift to find blood all over the kitchen, the front door open, and nobody home. He later told me that he'd spent a week in the hospital as his heart pretty much exploded out of the membrane sheath holding all the muscle in. Notable antics: thunderous TV viewing till 4am, endless bitching about the kitchen not being spotless.

"Bill" was a manic depressive former engineer/ham radio buff who enjoyed getting rowdy drunk and playing his tuba. Every. Goddamn. Day. Early members of the PYF Bachelor Goon Thread G+ Hangouts group will remember the time he played the Kirk Vs Gorn battle music for an hour while sloshed. When he was finally given eviction notice he hadn't paid rent in months as his mental health problems made long term employment rocky and ongoing relations with the other housemates even rockier. I felt genuinely bad for the guy because he was a very sweet man but he just couldn't keep the booze under control. Notable antics: month old moldy coffee cups, a multitude of conspiracy theories concerning contrails, and 2am Chili Cookoffs.

"Wayatt". Oh my Wayatt was a piece of work. He seemed to take that scene from Get Shorty where John Travolta explains the phrase "LISTEN TO ME" as some sort of psychological entrapment to heart. Looking back it feels like practically every other sentence was "shut up, listen to me" followed by a litany of commands. He enjoyed leaving chore lists for other people to do and would come unglued if they weren't done. A compulsive liar, he was incapable of shutting up about all the cool poo poo he had littered in storage units around town. Now, at the time a female family member of mine was renting one of the rooms in the house and he was constantly hitting on her. After about three weeks of living there listening to that crap she shut his poo poo down hard. In retaliation he started making lots of off color jokes about how women are whores with loose vaginas and trying to peep into her window.

That man loved to get angrily poo poo-housed and yell about anything that popped into his brain. One instance that I felt particularly frightened for my safety was when he got on a bender and stood outside my door mocking me about how I was a pussy bitch in love with mommy blahblah and how he was going to break the door down then beat some "respect for a real man" into me. This threatening behavior happened on more than one occasion 'till Bill called the cops. Turned out he had several outstanding warrants for assault, a restraining order from at least one ex girlfriend for stalking/domestic violence, and a lengthy rap sheet of other miscellaneous offenses. He was evicted shortly after. As a survivor of domestic abuse prior to this situation I would urge anyone considering renting run a loving background check on potential tenants and future roommates.
Notable antics: removing fuses from random appliances in revenge for perceived slights.

"George" replaced Wayatt. He was kind of a ghost who locked himself in his room to get baked until he found Jesus. He enjoyed loudly talking on the phone late into the night about how his personal relationship with Jesus was such that it would elevate him from working at a golfing supply shop. He also had his pre-teen son living with us for a month straight explicitly against lease rules. He eventually moved out having found some poor sucker from church to get married to after having only known them for five months. A poorly closeted sexist and self loathing bisexual man, I can only hope that his dedication to international missionary work has brought him some inner peace. Probably one of the least offensive roommates I've had as he wasn't terribly messy. Notable antics: he repeatedly forgot to turn off the speakers prior to watching porn and enjoyed bringing home lot lizards from Craigslist to bang. I still can't listen to Sweet Home Alabama without chuckling as it was his doin' it music.

The moral of the story is don't rent off Craigslist. You'll regret it.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 23, 2015

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Execu-speak posted:

Afterwards I told the slob what I had done and invited him to step outside if he had a problem with it. He made threats and stomped up and down angrily about it but didn't take me up on it.

Translated:

"meekly told roommate what I done and invited him to submit an angrily worded letter if he had a problem.

he started to write one but then realised he didn't exist"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I heard that a lot of serious mental illnesses manifest in people's mid-twenties and that's when one tends to get their own place, so could that explain some of the horror stories I'm seeing here? At least half the stories in this thread consist of people who need to be institutionalized.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

I heard that a lot of serious mental illnesses manifest in people's mid-twenties and that's when one tends to get their own place, so could that explain some of the horror stories I'm seeing here? At least half the stories in this thread consist of people who need to be institutionalized.

I read it more as goons making poor choices in flatmates.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

A significant portion of the general population at any age is just poorly socialized freakshows, most of them are together enough to appear sane and well-adjusted for the span of a casual acquaintance but when you're living with someone day to day all the crazy comes out. And house shares both expose you to a less vetted cross-section of the population than, like, your friends, or an office environment, and make it harder to drop the vaguely offputting wierdo before he starts breaking into your room and stroking your hair at night cause now he's got tenancy rights and is in your loving house.

poo poo like schizophrenia starts manifesting in young adulthood (and there's a lot of unmedicated schizophrenics out there too) but most of the stuff people are talking about here like never taking care of your poo poo or acting like everyone's your slaves or flying into violent rages is habits those people picked up when they were toddlers and large numbers of them will keep doing them til the day they die. You ask people about their middle school or college experiences you're gonna get the same kind of stories, you're just going to get more acquainted with the habits of the class sadist than the guy who throws his used toilet paper in the trash in school.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 24, 2015

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
The thing about horrible roommates is that most people won't live for them for very long. On the flip side, when people find a good person to room with, they'll often room together for a long time. Thus, if you're looking for a brand new roommate, you're far more likely to encounter the crazy dude who gets kicked out every 6 months than the stable folks who have lived in the same place for 8 years.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Imaduck posted:

The thing about horrible roommates is that most people won't live for them for very long. On the flip side, when people find a good person to room with, they'll often room together for a long time. Thus, if you're looking for a brand new roommate, you're far more likely to encounter the crazy dude who gets kicked out every 6 months than the stable folks who have lived in the same place for 8 years.

Truth...I miss my awesome roommate of four years who moved away :(.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
Update on my bad roommate:

He traded some kid his nice almost mint condition 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac for a 1976 Celica that is in horrible condition that has now been broken into a few times.

He pawned his kitten off on his sister to take care of, so he doesn't have to be responsible for her anymore. Had asked our old upstairs neighbor to take her first...but they flat out refused, as they already have 2 cats of their own. Also, the kitten is still not spayed.

He is now living out of the 76 Celica, and decided it was a great idea to leave all of his stuff he wanted to keep in the laundry room of our old house. We lived in a duplex that shared the laundry room with our neighbors, and when we ran into them the other day they told us that his stuff is still there. The neighbor is going to throw it out, because why keep things at a house you don't live at anymore? The neighbor is just as fed up as we are.

He's been bugging our new roommate to do free work on his "new" car for him, and asking to come over to the house we are now living in. Even though he knows we live there and supposedly hates both of us for 'screwing him over' after he was the one to call the landlord on himself.

So glad I'm done with that kid.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
James is a man who is bad with his money, thinks hygiene is optional and that all meals should either be delivered to his doorstep or re-heated in a microwave. James' bad habits have survived several roommates and apartments, much to our chagrin. I never personally roomed with him, but living near our college and being friends resulted in occassional visits.

Notable highlights of his living conditions include:
-Never loving washing. And I'm not talking about dishes and clothes, yet. Greasy hair and usually dirty; I assume the only reason we didn't complain about it nearly as much is because he at least used deodorant.

-Never loving washing dishes, to the point he would run out and then proceed to get disposable plates and utensils instead of cleaning. When confronted about it, he would blame whoever his current roommate was.

-Never loving cleaning, giving the apartment a notable funk. How we tolerated it back then, I don't know.

-Complained and whined that he lost his best roommate who would conveniently do all the cleaning in the apartment because that guy was a neat freak. When he left, the apartment went back to James' standard.

Eventually, people stopped rooming with him and he ended up getting a bachelor place in the same building. Surprise surprise, the problems followed him. But this time around, since he was alone, he got himself a kitten. Thinking back on it, I never did see a litter box anywhere...

He still didn't clean or cook or anything really. Eventually, he got some sort of pest infestation (blamed it on the neighbours), lost some of his stuff. Had to get rid of the cat at some point too, but I can't remember why.

After not physically seeing him for years, I paid him a visit and he's still the same. Giant garbage bags full of discarded delivery boxes, dirty dishes everywhere, odd funk emanating from everything. Oh, and did I mention the fruit flies? The fruit flies loving everywhere?

We've tried talking to him, doing the passive-aggressive stuff, you name it. Some people are just so far gone you're forced to give up. At least he's not sharing his miserable place with some other poor soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Some people are just so far gone you're forced to give up. At least he's not sharing his miserable place with some other poor soul.

This. I'm glad I had roommates early on who whooped my rear end into cleanliness.

I wish my standards were lower so I wouldn't get annoyed.

• Locked thread