Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Been a while, finally did a drawing. I realized afterwards that the face is a bit hosed, but it's mostly just a practice sketch so ehhhh.

Clip Art studio is really fun, I need to muck around more with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sh1fty
Jan 22, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

Started some surface dev and it kinda veered into a stylized thing.

Desert Gate

This is awesome! Reminds me of some late 90s DOS adventure game box art!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I'm gonna try to refurbish and finish this old piece I forgot about :

Feel like working on something fun!

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Anyone in to Heavy Paint?

Been drawing in it for a while, I find it pretty refreshing compared to photoshop and clipstudio paint.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
So Heromachine is a Flash program intended for very basic paper doll superhero and DnD style fantasy characters in basic poses. There's a small but dedicated community of idiots trying to do more complex things with it.

That being said, does anyone have any general pointers on what I could do to improve my lighting/shading/highlights/etc? HM has basic options for adding rectangular and circular gradients, which are my main tools for that. I don't have any background in arts so I've been playing things by ear. Are there like super basic mistakes that I'm missing?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

My first go at a portrait. It's not perfect but I'm calling it done as a first attempt.
Thank gently caress Clip Studio Paint added liquify this week!
I'm finding CSP much nicer to draw/paint with than Photoshop, especially now I've come up with a workspace that suits my cackhanded leftyness.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 19, 2021

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
So, in the spirit of promoting some fun cross-collaboration on the forums, I'm sharing this thread, in which a goon is looking for some casual art for their winter game jam game. I understand the value of your time and effort so by all means don't feel pressured to provide free art. However, if you have some existing stuff that you know you're not going to do anything with, consider helping a goon out. I'll be crossposting about this, but again, no pressure whatsoever.

and for content, here is my artdome entry (for which i got some really helpful feedback). I've been messing around with ibispaint even though I have clip art studio and a tablet at home. I guess it's just easier to doodle on my chromebook at work??

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

NonzeroCircle posted:

My first go at a portrait. It's not perfect but I'm calling it done as a first attempt.
Thank gently caress Clip Studio Paint added liquify this week!
I'm finding CSP much nicer to draw/paint with than Photoshop, especially now I've come up with a workspace that suits my cackhanded leftyness.

Ooo they did? I need to dust off my tablet and give it a go. Nice portrait by the way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've recently started doing character portrait commissions of peoples' characters from a 25-year-old MMO which has been really fun considering it's my first time making a serious attempt at drawing actual people and not stick figures. But mostly I just want to give a shoutout to all the things that are possible when drawing digitally that I could never hope to accomplish without serious technique and skills in traditional art. This is the one I'm working on now:

based on this in-game portrait:

And in particular I love the technique I stumbled across for the fishing line. All I did was make a thick white line, shade it with grey, set the layer blending to Divide and then use the Liquify->Pinch tool to make it thin and fine. Then I just dabbed a few cliche lens flares on it for the sparkles. It was like 3 minutes of work for something that, if I attempted to do the same thing with traditional art, would probably take me hours of trying to get a watered down white paint or smeared white gel pen or something to look even a fraction as good, and I would ruin the piece in the process. Now it looks like an actual fishing line where it's mostly invisible except for the spots that catch the light and glint a little.
(Okay technically I did all of that twice because there are separate layers for behind the fishing pole and in front)

Layer blending modes and procreate's Liquify tool are the secret ingredients that make up like 80% of my art skill now but :kiddo: I love experimenting with that stuff and finding a way to create whatever material/texture I'm aiming for.

Next step is going to be uhh, 'shaving off' parts of the peg leg to make it look hand-carved, which should be fun to find a way to do with just a lighter wood colored blended layer and a paint roller brush or something like that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 14, 2022

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Messing around with Clip Studio

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I've been busy.
The last one i'm working on making into a T-Shirt. trying to get them done at a local place for convenience sake and being able to get better profit margins hopefully.
The test didn't go so hot because the first place I tried had a wonky printer that can't do blacks.

This is only a little bit of what I did over last year. I got good at doing basically everything now that I'm doing art full-time as a freelancer.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 6, 2023

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

working on some sticker designs and ended up here, but it feels sort of boring to me and like it's missing energy. idk, I'll gently caress with it more tomorrow. might start completely over, as happens pretty often in my amateur design process.

any thoughts, though? Am i right in thinking it's kind of a dull sticker design?

in the meantime here are a couple of things I'm actually proud of and really really like:

first time posting itt and I'm feeling shy but hello and ty for making this an active thread

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

I'm trying to make lines that are more crisp than the maximum hardness of Photoshop's brush. But I don't want it 100% aliased like the pencil tool. Is there any way to make the brush harder than 100%, brushes I can download that fit the bill, or just a different app that has something like this?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Joan posted:

I'm trying to make lines that are more crisp than the maximum hardness of Photoshop's brush. But I don't want it 100% aliased like the pencil tool. Is there any way to make the brush harder than 100%, brushes I can download that fit the bill, or just a different app that has something like this?

Personally, when I want to do really crisp line work I use Manga Studio (which has since been renamed to Clip Studio). The brushes feel a lot cleaner.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Phylodox posted:

Personally, when I want to do really crisp line work I use Manga Studio (which has since been renamed to Clip Studio). The brushes feel a lot cleaner.

I'm trying Clip Studio Pant and running into the same issue. Using the most basic brush, it's too hard with no anti-aliasing and too soft with the weakest anti-aliasing. I want something between these two lines.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

It looks how I want if I do it with the hardest brush in Photoshop, then sharpen the line layer, but that seems stupid

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

for something that specific, have you looked into trying to create your own brush with the desired effect?

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

for something that specific, have you looked into trying to create your own brush with the desired effect?

I tried creating a brush preset in photoshop and it blurs it no matter what, if that's what you mean. I don't know how to make a brush in Clip Studio Paint but the issue seems to be the level of antialiasing, not the brush itself.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

gotcha, i understand you better now. wish i had an answer!

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

you could take your more-anti-aliased lines and duplicate their layer (possibly more than once), then mess with the opacities until it looks exactly like you want.

I think the main issue is that you're working with one or two pixel wide brushes. There's not enough resolution in the "canvas" to capture what's happening at the "edge" of your brush. If you scale up the pixel dimensions of the project you could be working with larger brushes for the same final line weight, and the hardness falloff will be a lot easier to control.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
- increase the Count to a high number like 7-8
- double your resolution and use Dissolve for the brush blend mode

Mehsticles
Jul 2, 2012
an alternative may be using something like Mischief, which I believe is vector based so may help achieve crisper lines.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Mehsticles posted:

an alternative may be using something like Mischief, which I believe is vector based so may help achieve crisper lines.

Yeah, vector may be the way to go. I like Inkscape a lot, myself, but it doesn't handle in any way, shape or form like a raster program.

Upping the dpi like others have suggested is also a good thing to try. While 300 is standard for print, there are many brushes these days that are explicitly made for higher. I've seen from 350-600 recommended for some brushes on the storefront! Which, at the risk of sounding like a shill, the CSP asset shop is actually very good. It has a thriving community of people that upload free brushes and such, myself included!

CSP also has a little "community help" section that is very active, I highly suggest it, as I've only had really good interactions there! The community has been really wonderful for me.

Edit: Regarding dpi, I feel I should warn that you may need to allocate more memory to your program if you find you like it at very high levels. In CSP, I seem to recall this being in the preferences submenu, and it will prompt a program restart after. I think that the default allocation isn't actually that high.

DicktheCat fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 30, 2023

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Greetings friends, I’m looking to get a tablet to do some digital art but I’m getting lost trying to figure out what is best to buy? I’ve used my friends iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil 2 and it was delightful, I’m fine with buying used and I’m not worried about other functionality as I have different devices for that this is mostly going to be for drawing.
My budget is about £350 (this doesn’t have to include an Apple Pencil) it doesn’t necessarily have to be apple either but I like the idea of a hi-res screen….

Any suggestions? I’ve been looking at deals on the 11inch pro (1st and 2nd gen) I’d rather not have something that will immediately be obsolete

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Gaz2k21 posted:

Greetings friends, I’m looking to get a tablet to do some digital art but I’m getting lost trying to figure out what is best to buy? I’ve used my friends iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil 2 and it was delightful, I’m fine with buying used and I’m not worried about other functionality as I have different devices for that this is mostly going to be for drawing.
My budget is about £350 (this doesn’t have to include an Apple Pencil) it doesn’t necessarily have to be apple either but I like the idea of a hi-res screen….

Any suggestions? I’ve been looking at deals on the 11inch pro (1st and 2nd gen) I’d rather not have something that will immediately be obsolete

You can go with an ipad pro. Especially a used ipad pro and be pretty happy. Alternatiely, save a few hundred and go with an xp pen tablet or even a huion or hell... even a mono price tablet if you really wanna be cheap. None of them are bad options TBH.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What's the recommended art app for iPad these days? I tried Procreate but it seemed a bit simplistic.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

What type of stuff do you want to do? I find procreate elegant but powerful for most things.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Good idea for a thread! I love how digital art lets me play with colour instead of being half afraid of it.
So, here's some Kill Six Billion Demons fanart I recently posted in one of the comics thread.

e: also I guess my av counts

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Reworking some old pieces.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 9, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Boy, threads around these parts move slow, huh? I think this is the best place to ask...

I replaced my iPad for the first time in a decade and thought "hey Pencils are pretty cheap on the secondary market" and now I sorta want to try drawing a bit. I've never been a creative sort; other than a couple sessions at animation academy over at Disneyland, I haven't really drawn anything since elementary school. But I sorta want to give it an honest try because it's been a long time...and I did enjoy doodling at animation academy, haha.

I went back a couple pages and found Drawabox recommended. Any other tutorials floating around out there? I'm not adverse to paying a bit for an app, obviously.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

If you want to get really good at drawing cartoon/animation stuff, the Preston Blair book is still the best textbook around. The first edition has the copyrighted characters before they took them out and replaced them with knockoffs.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Wait, is this the book that lines of action page with Tom and Jerry is from? I must've seen that a million times over the years without actually knowing where it's from. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely pick it up while getting a handle on some basic skills with drawabox. :)

Boxman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 25, 2023

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Does anybody do urban sketching with procreate?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I've done it in the past but struggled to overcome glare/natural light interference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxyrosis
Aug 4, 2006
Scars are tattoos with better stories.
Thanks to unemployment services in my city, I was given the opportunity to get trained in digital media. 1 year later and I just finished and submitted my final last night.

Got a $3k certificate for free. Thanks Obama!