Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Nameless Pete posted:

At least you didn't embarrass yourself in front of any cool people.

All the cool scifi writers are banned from the hugo's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

All the cool scifi writers are banned from the hugo's

It says a lot about the Hugos that I can't tell from first glance which scandal you're referring to

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Nameless Pete posted:

At least you didn't embarrass yourself in front of any cool people.

Yeah, my god it would have been pretty bad!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Based on the fact that "semper ubi sub ubi" is a common first-year Latin pun, translated very roughly to "always wear underwear"...

...that would also mean "Ubisoft" essentially means "software", using the same pun logic. (More literally "where soft" but I think you get what I mean. Or maybe you don't and it's just the NyQuil talking)

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Mar 18, 2024

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Sir Lemming posted:

Based on the fact that "semper ubi sub ubi" is a common first-year Latin pun, translated very roughly to "always wear underwear"...

...that would also mean "Ubisoft" essentially means "software", using the same pun logic. (More literally "where soft" but I think you get what I mean. Or maybe you don't and it's just the NyQuil talking)

Wait holy poo poo is that intentional?

Additionally, just remembering first-year Latin shenanigans, quid me vis facere :agesilaus:?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Yes, in a similar way to Obie Trice (real name, no gimmicks) being named for his love of wearing 3 belts.

(it's ubiquitous software)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wikipedia's list of diss tracks goes back to the 1300s and includes Yankee Doodle Dandy and You're A Mean One Mr Grinch

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The simpsons episode Last exit to Springfield is two clicks away from 9/11 on wikipedia.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DID YOU KONW 9/11 IN REAL COUNTRIES IS 11.9. ?!?!?!?!!?!?1111²22ELVATOLVAKATINKORVA

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

For ten years I've been buying these lovely shower-mirrors. They last about a month and then fog up and start warping in weird ways.

Well today I bought a new one, and someone in Amazon review section said, make sure you remove the protective film.

So I go into my shower, where the latest of my worthless shower mirrors are. I peel back the film, revealing a perfectly pristine mirror underneath.

I've thrown out a dozen of these motherfuckers over the years, and it's a goddamn headache to shave. Now I see why! I never realized there was a protective film over the mirror; I thought all that was the mirror. Holy poo poo I'm able to see myself in the mirror in the shower for the first time in years.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

For ten years I've been buying these lovely shower-mirrors. They last about a month and then fog up and start warping in weird ways.

Well today I bought a new one, and someone in Amazon review section said, make sure you remove the protective film.

So I go into my shower, where the latest of my worthless shower mirrors are. I peel back the film, revealing a perfectly pristine mirror underneath.

I've thrown out a dozen of these motherfuckers over the years, and it's a goddamn headache to shave. Now I see why! I never realized there was a protective film over the mirror; I thought all that was the mirror. Holy poo poo I'm able to see myself in the mirror in the shower for the first time in years.

What the hell did you think mirrors were made out of so that they could warp? This is impressive.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What the hell did you think mirrors were made out of so that they could warp? This is impressive.

I figured the stuff I was buying was like a reflective film that was glued to the fixture, and that was what was warping. Like some kind of reflective foil or something.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

I figured the stuff I was buying was like a reflective film that was glued to the fixture, and that was what was warping. Like some kind of reflective foil or something.

Ah, oh. There are mirrors like that but I haven't seen one since the 1980s. They are also completely useless from the get-go.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

credburn posted:

I don't think you should be allowed near razors or water unsupervised

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I love credburn anecdotes

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Honestly, I get it, I've had some devices for over a decade before realizing that I hadn't removed the clear plastic film from them.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly, I get it, I've had some devices for over a decade before realizing that I hadn't removed the clear plastic film from them.

My dad managed to install a screen protector on top of the protective film on his phone, then put it in a case which itself had an inbuilt screen protector. No wonder it responded so poorly. I removed everything when I visited him for Christmas and it was like a brand new phone. 😞

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Creature posted:

My dad managed to install a screen protector on top of the protective film on his phone, then put it in a case which itself had an inbuilt screen protector. No wonder it responded so poorly. I removed everything when I visited him for Christmas and it was like a brand new phone. 😞

my grandmother did the exact same thing and I fixed it and she was over the moon with how easy it was to use after that.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I haven't used a screen protector in years and years with no scratches, I think screen hardness technology has made them obsolete at this point

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amoeba102 posted:

The simpsons episode Last exit to Springfield is two clicks away from 9/11 on wikipedia.

Yeah but The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson is 1.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My microwave looks like I never peeled off the plastic protector from the window part, but there's no plastic, that's just how it looks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I remember back when my folks got their first round of smartphones, my dad left that film on the screen to protect it, and tried to convince us to do so too. But the funny part was that the phone model we all got was made with gorilla glass back when tough screens weren't so common on cheaper models, its whole design was based on you being able to drop it off the roof or run over it without hurting it!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
incredibly hosed- up to make glass out of gorillas, though

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That part's fine, we must continue our war against apes on every possible front

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Empty Sandwich posted:

incredibly hosed- up to make glass out of gorillas, though

Geez, you people whined and whined about the dolphin glass, and as soon as we find a replacement, you start complaining all over again!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Captain Hygiene posted:

That part's fine, we must continue our war against apes on every possible front

No need, come winter they simply freeze to death.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Conan spinoff character Red Sonja was created by Marvel comics and wasn't originally from the novels. She was loosely based on a Robert E. Howard character with a similar name who was a 16th century gunslinger and not an ancient-era swordswoman

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson is 1.

Yeah but that's more straight forward. I wasn't expecting to be able to get there via Anthony Perkins.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Conan spinoff character Red Sonja was created by Marvel comics and wasn't originally from the novels. She was loosely based on a Robert E. Howard character with a similar name who was a 16th century gunslinger and not an ancient-era swordswoman

Did the gunslinger still wear a metal bikini?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
"No man may take me unless he shoots me in a duel"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Philippe posted:

Did the gunslinger still wear a metal bikini?

When Red Sonja debuted back in '73 she actually wore a full chainmail top:

..... but that didn't last long, by '75 they'd already switched over to the chainmail bikini

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Shadow of the Vulture set in the 16th century Ottoman Empire. Great story.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Florence Pugh was not involved in notorious and public litigation with Johnny Depp.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PYF thing you just Heard

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ms. Pugh if you're reading this (and I'm sure you are), I apologise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's fine.

...I mean, I'm sure she'd say it's fine.