Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've hiked with the 25 a little bit. It's tolerable but not great - there's no hip belt so the full weight of whatever you're carrying is loaded on your upper body. The other downside is the straps just don't work unless the chest buckle is clipped.

I'd say it's about equal with a standard backpack for hiking, nowhere near as good as a hiking-specific backpack like an Osprey or Deuter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Jazzzzz posted:

I've hiked with the 25 a little bit. It's tolerable but not great - there's no hip belt so the full weight of whatever you're carrying is loaded on your upper body. The other downside is the straps just don't work unless the chest buckle is clipped.

I'd say it's about equal with a standard backpack for hiking, nowhere near as good as a hiking-specific backpack like an Osprey or Deuter.

Weight distribution was exactly my main concern about the R35. As much as you don't want to ride with a backpack taking all the weight down to your waist, you don't want to hike with one taking it all in the middle of your chest. Owning the R25 myself though I must say those sort of waist belts do bring some weight down to your hips (or lower ribs actually), which is good, but I never really loaded it nor took it out for a real hike. If the sucker didn't cost 200 bucks that was less of an issue since it's an amazing backpack for everything but hiking.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 21, 2017

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Separate post for the Firebox, which I received today, tried it on my balcony and grilled some veggies. That thing is fraggin awesome. Buy it. Don't ask. Go. Buy. It. :shepspends:

froody guy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I gotta stay away from fireboxes etc, as most of the places I camp are in Fire-ban territory :/

Recently I've been using a standard butane / propane burner, but it's freakin' loud when going, and the canisters are larger than i'd like...

SO i just ordered a Trangia Stormcooker set;
http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/p1716_Trangia_Stormcooker_Set_Series_25_Ultra_Light_Hard_Anodised.html

Anyone got one of these badboys? Running on meths is super handy, can just take a hipflask for fuel, and being able to cook in exposed places is also a plus.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on camping / survival axes / hatchets? I'm really keen to find something about 30-40cm long with a hammerhead on the back of the cutting edge? Bonus points for any sort of firestriker or saw blade functionality?

Picked up a KTM ADV 990 (2007) about 2 weeks ago, so I foresee a whole lot more motocamping in my future!

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Jeff Sichoe posted:

I gotta stay away from fireboxes etc, as most of the places I camp are in Fire-ban territory :/

Recently I've been using a standard butane / propane burner, but it's freakin' loud when going, and the canisters are larger than i'd like...

SO i just ordered a Trangia Stormcooker set;
http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/contents/en-us/p1716_Trangia_Stormcooker_Set_Series_25_Ultra_Light_Hard_Anodised.html

Anyone got one of these badboys? Running on meths is super handy, can just take a hipflask for fuel, and being able to cook in exposed places is also a plus.
Pretty much same thing here, the fire-ban thing I mean. But if you go hiking in the forest nobody sees you burning twigs in a steel box. That being said, I've got myself a pathfinder alcohol stove. Another amazing piece of kit even if I never used it so far so I can't give any feedback. If you fill it up before leaving and bring an extra flask in your backpack, you can literally cook for weeks before running out of fuel.

As regards alcohol/meth stoves all I know is:
- do NOT use gasoline, you'll die (at least you should) and everybody will laugh at your funeral
- do NOT use denatured alcohol, you won't die but you are dumb anyway
- if Murican, use HEET

Jeff Sichoe posted:

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on camping / survival axes / hatchets? I'm really keen to find something about 30-40cm long with a hammerhead on the back of the cutting edge? Bonus points for any sort of firestriker or saw blade functionality?

Picked up a KTM ADV 990 (2007) about 2 weeks ago, so I foresee a whole lot more motocamping in my future!
I wouldn't suggest an hatchet. Anything you do with it you can do it batoning with a good knife, not necessarily expensive either, which you should have anyway so if you're gonna build shelters and do any kind of serious work get an axe. You should look at the 19-21 inches range, good for chopping but still light enough to be carried around and to be used one handed for barking and cleaning branches. Best entry levels are Wetterlings and Helko, at least here in EU. I own a Wetterlings Bushcraft Axe and even if it's pretty much all about chopping and cutting branches but not much about carving and slicing, it's exactly what I was looking for.

froody guy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 22, 2017

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Excellent information, checking out the Wetterlings Bushcraft Axe now, looks pretty spot on! Thanks!

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
Looking for a pair of MC boots I can do some hiking in. Anyone out there wear altbergs?

http://www.altberg.co.uk/product/hogg-all-weather-original/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I want to get into motocamping and am looking to plan my first trip may 4-7th, a trial run for a 10 day vacation a couple weeks later. I wanted to go over my trip, get feedback/advice, make sure I wasn't forgetting anything.

My trial trip will be from Gulfport, MS to Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, AR (apparently a combination gallery/natural trail that houses the Rosie the Riveter painting). That's 1,200 miles, an easy 300 miles a day. The museum itself is open till 6pm so I'm guessing my schedule would be:

• Leave Gulfport MS Thursday morning, ~300 miles to Lake Chicot State Park
  • Leave Chicot State Park Friday morning, ~300 milesto Crystal bridges. Stay in a hotel in town/nearby.
  • Leave Bentonville Saturday morning, ~300 to Chicot State Park.
  • Leave Chicot State Park Friday morning, ~300 miles home.

At no point in the trip will I be longer than a hotel stay from home, so If I realize I absolutely can't stand camping I can pack it up.

My biggest concern, my main reason for posting, is actually being able to stay at Chicot. Should I make reservations? I assume people just ride around on their bikes and stopping at places, and I don't really see how a campsite can run out of small patches of flat ground for me to put my tiny tent on? The websites lists "67 Class B including several sites with Class C options" but doesn't list rates for any sites other than AA to B - so I'm assuming there's maybe a 5 buck entrance fee to the park and then you just tent camp wherever? Is that about how this works? I really hope so because picking out a single camp site for this small trip is doable but if I had to do that for every day it would get tiresome, especially if anything happened to my schedule.

Look, I've been camping like two times in my whole life, and that was boy scout type stuff, get driven somewhere, huge group, etc. This will be the first time I camp as an adult, and the first time by myself, and the first time on a motorcycle. Any advice about what I've posted so far would be appreciated.

Later, either in this thread or maybe someplace else, I need to post pictures of my bike and get tips on how to pack/stow my gear.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

I want to get into motocamping and am looking to plan my first trip may 4-7th, a trial run for a 10 day vacation a couple weeks later. I wanted to go over my trip, get feedback/advice, make sure I wasn't forgetting anything.

My trial trip will be from Gulfport, MS to Crystal Bridges in Bentonville, AR (apparently a combination gallery/natural trail that houses the Rosie the Riveter painting). That's 1,200 miles, an easy 300 miles a day. The museum itself is open till 6pm so I'm guessing my schedule would be:

• Leave Gulfport MS Thursday morning, ~300 miles to Lake Chicot State Park
  • Leave Chicot State Park Friday morning, ~300 milesto Crystal bridges. Stay in a hotel in town/nearby.
  • Leave Bentonville Saturday morning, ~300 to Chicot State Park.
  • Leave Chicot State Park Friday morning, ~300 miles home.

At no point in the trip will I be longer than a hotel stay from home, so If I realize I absolutely can't stand camping I can pack it up.

My biggest concern, my main reason for posting, is actually being able to stay at Chicot. Should I make reservations? I assume people just ride around on their bikes and stopping at places, and I don't really see how a campsite can run out of small patches of flat ground for me to put my tiny tent on? The websites lists "67 Class B including several sites with Class C options" but doesn't list rates for any sites other than AA to B - so I'm assuming there's maybe a 5 buck entrance fee to the park and then you just tent camp wherever? Is that about how this works? I really hope so because picking out a single camp site for this small trip is doable but if I had to do that for every day it would get tiresome, especially if anything happened to my schedule.

Look, I've been camping like two times in my whole life, and that was boy scout type stuff, get driven somewhere, huge group, etc. This will be the first time I camp as an adult, and the first time by myself, and the first time on a motorcycle. Any advice about what I've posted so far would be appreciated.

Later, either in this thread or maybe someplace else, I need to post pictures of my bike and get tips on how to pack/stow my gear.

Camping around Chicot shouldn't be too hard to find, and you probably won't need reservations. Its part of the Arkansas State Parks system, and most of them are first come, first served, pay cash at a kiosk. Call and ask, they're usually pretty helpful. What you will probably have to deal with is mosquitoes. They're probably already getting bad. Problem is, you can't get away from them in the delta. Take some light long sleeves and pants, you will want them. Eat catfish. There are little fish joints e verywhere and most are great.

If you could add on some extra miles on day 1 or 4, Pendleton Lock and Dam near Dumas is sort of close to Lake Chicot and has decent campsites. I think there's even free showers. It's a little more interesting than the Lake Chicot area. A bunch of the movie Mud was filmed there.

In order to get to Bentonville, you'll pass through some of the best motorcycle routes in the world. Don't take the interstates to get around the Ozarks. I know most of those roads by heart and could give recommendations if you want. You won't want to leave. You might not care about making it to Crystal Bridges after an hour in the Ozarks. Great camping throughout as well.

On night 2, stay in Fayetteville a few miles south, Bentonville is just big box sprawl and sucks rear end. Fayetteville is funky and cool as hell. There are some decent hotels near the interstate. What do you like to eat? Most of my favorite restaurants are there. Hugo's for burgers and sandwiches, Damgoode Pies for pizza, Penguin Ed's or Sadie's for BBQ, Farmer's Table for crafty local southern stuff. They catered my wedding and are good. Greenhouse Grill has great breakfasts, as does Farmer's Table. Onyx Coffee is super clever and crunchy, but it's good poo poo.

Pack rain gear and make sure your tent is waterproof. It can rain torrentially for days in all of Arkansas in May, but especially in the delta and Arkansas River valley. Let me know if you want any help with routes. I can tell you the best ways to get through or around Little Rock without hating your life by the end.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I didn't know I'd strike goon-gold and snare someone personally familiar with the area, awesome.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Its part of the Arkansas State Parks system, and most of them are first come, first served, pay cash at a kiosk. Call and ask, they're usually pretty helpful. What you will probably have to deal with is mosquitoes. They're probably already getting bad. Problem is, you can't get away from them in the delta. Take some light long sleeves and pants, you will want them.

Awesome, yes I'll call and just check things out, I suppose make a reserve ration if they think it's necessary. The mosquitoes aren't bad here on the coast yet but I'll be sure to have long sleeves and some repellent. And since I haven't bought a bug net for my hammock (and because I don't want to be too unconventional regarding my first trip), I'll bring a tent.

If you could add on some extra miles on day 1 or 4, Pendleton Lock and Dam near Dumas is sort of close to Lake Chicot and has decent campsites. I think there's even free showers. It's a little more interesting than the Lake Chicot area. A bunch of the movie Mud was filmed there.

I'll call them as well, my main concern is that I want to make sure I get to my campsite before it's dark, so having two possible campsites on the same route might help me pick the right location for my progress. I'd probably be most willing to stay there on the return trip, because the final leg back home can run long without consequence.

In order to get to Bentonville, you'll pass through some of the best motorcycle routes in the world. Don't take the interstates to get around the Ozarks. I know most of those roads by heart and could give recommendations if you want. You won't want to leave. You might not care about making it to Crystal Bridges after an hour in the Ozarks. Great camping throughout as well.

Yes, yes, I'd love road recommendations. I didn't realize I'd be going far enough north to get into mountains but looking on google it looks I'll be just hitting the southern edge of the Ozarks, apparently the Boston mountain range? My trip is scheduled at 300 miles a day, when I know (and have) easily done 400 a day (non-interstate) and been fine. Another great thing about this small trip is I know even if I plan badly the worst I might endure is Sunday super-slab run of ~500 miles, which is a pain but hardly the end of the world, and since that's the final day it doesn't really matter if I ride through the night - no campsite to find. Plus I've ridden from Jackson, MS to Gulfport, MS plenty of times and doing that whole stretch at night doesn't phase me.

On night 2, stay in Fayetteville a few miles south, Bentonville is just big box sprawl and sucks rear end. Fayetteville is funky and cool as hell. There are some decent hotels near the interstate. What do you like to eat? Most of my favorite restaurants are there. Hugo's for burgers and sandwiches, Damgoode Pies for pizza, Penguin Ed's or Sadie's for BBQ, Farmer's Table for crafty local southern stuff. They catered my wedding and are good. Greenhouse Grill has great breakfasts, as does Farmer's Table. Onyx Coffee is super clever and crunchy, but it's good poo poo.

Fayetteville and Hugo it is, thanks for the tip.

Pack rain gear and make sure your tent is waterproof. It can rain reverentially for days in all of Arkansas in May, but especially in the delta and Arkansas River valley.

Heh, yeah, I see "heavy rain" is the current weather status Pendleton Lock and Dam. I'm used to riding in the rain (rains a lot here on the coast, but maybe not as much as the Delta?). I've got personal rain gear, and my motorcycle bags are water proof (as will be whatever bag system I make over the new few days for my gear (which again will be a later post).

As far as my tent I got a *checks* Mountainsmith Morrison 2? It better be dryish in the rain, that and bugs is essentially what I envision a tent being for. I guess it's more a question of quality but the tent was recommend in articles (and cost more than tents I saw at walmart) so I'm hoping it's "the cheapest tent that isn't some p.o.s. from a big box". Or maybe I wasted my money, who knows!

Let me know if you want any help with routes. I can tell you the best ways to get through or around Little Rock without hating your life by the end.

Yeah, absolutely, my plan was mostly to take state or federal highways (not interstates) along the way, and only use interstates if I need/want to on the way home. The only time that's likely to happen is on the last bit from Jackson to Gulfport when hopefully familiarity will mentally compress the final hours.

---

Ok, you've given me a lot to think about, today I need to complete a shopping list of things I need for "camping" (I mostly intend to stop somewhere as the light dies, set up camp, and then leave at dawn. This is about turning $50-$100 hotels insto $5-$10 camp sites). I'm sure I can google that but recommendations/input are welcome from all.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

PMed you because it got long.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Everyone make a mental note that HenryJLittlefinger is awesome because holy poo poo man, thank you for that effort PM.Your detailed route looks amazing and I'm going to pour over it over it later today. Also you've given me a riding destination that is almost exactly as far as Medina, TX (the start of the "Twisted Sister" highway trio), so this is going to be an interesting comparison to that trip,which I did and basically hated; the twisted sister roads themselves were great, but I super-slabbed i-10 to get there and back in 3 days, including passing through both Houston and San Antonio(and I caught at least one of them in rush hour coming and going). That's what I accomplish on my own when I plan these trips myself, so thank you again for showing me what looks like a much better ride.

Edit: I also need some advice on how the heck I'm going to carry this stuff. I have to actually get it all back to my house (as well as then figure out exactly what I'm bringing). My dad, I believe, has one of those big waterproof top roll bags I can borrow, so I'll stuff a series of smaller bags into that and put it all on the back of my motorcycle. My question is how I'm going to secure it.

This is the back of my motorcycle with it's awesome new saddle bags:

It has little cargo prongs on the back that don't seem very useful:

What I mostly used to do, with a bag that sat on the rear seat and came pre-equipped with internal bungie cords, was route the cords to the passenger pegs and the license plate bracket, which I think is the best way I would bungie down a big bag sitting on top of the saddle bags:

Alternately I guess I could route big bungie cords around the fame itself? There's a fender between the chassis and the bottom of the tail with maybe a half foot of clearance so there's no way the cords would really be in danger but it doesn't seem as secure:

So I guess my plan is get a big bag, put all/most bags in it, bungie that down, probably diagonally to the pegs and license plate bracket. I'd like to get a cargo net but from looking online I don't really understand how a net edged with hooks is secured.

Actually, from looking at the pictures and thinking about it more, if I went around the chassis but at a diagonal I guess that would work well to secure a big bag to my rear seat?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 30, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

marshmonkey posted:

Jetboil if you actually want to cook your food fast, Biolite if you are a pyro and like playing with fire.

I've raced a Jetboil and a MSR Pocket Rocket from cold to boil.

Pocket Rocket won.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

First official motocamping trip in like a year and a half. Some shitheads absolutely trashed the camping spot.

Some loud rear end brotruck/quad races by some other campers till 2am. Wife lost his phone on the xgrip. Blew the baffle outta my new pipe, plus an overheat from something jamming the cooling fan. Did good for a drz loaded to its gvwr though.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib

Brass Monkey - the Swag loving SUCKED - I wish I had taken my tent...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Is that the winterial bivy?

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Oztrail Biker Swag

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'll call them as well, my main concern is that I want to make sure I get to my campsite before it's dark

This is part of the fun. I've had a couple of times where I've arrived well after dark, discovered the camp ground was basically closed, ridden around the boom barrier and just set up my tent somewhere in a corner, woken up before the campground opened, put my payment in an envelope and pinned it to the door of the reception, and then left the same way I came.

Good times.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm planning on going moto camping next weekend (July 28-30) - anyone interested in joining me? I'm thinking either upstate NY or Poconos area PA. I have a good amount of camping gear, biolite, etc.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Has anyone here ever ridden around Lake Michigan? I'm planning to do 4 days around from Chicago and trying to pick campsites, open to suggestions if anyone has done this.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Dutymode posted:

Has anyone here ever ridden around Lake Michigan? I'm planning to do 4 days around from Chicago and trying to pick campsites, open to suggestions if anyone has done this.

I've done just the Wisconsin side and stayed in state parks. Bong State Recreation area, and Kohler-Andrae, though it was 5+ years ago.
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/

hit the parks website and go from there, I tend to favor the ones with showers on site.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thanksgiving in the woods.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Looks like a nice spot! is that a 950 or 990? :)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BloodRed posted:

Looks like a nice spot! is that a 950 or 990? :)

early 950S.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

Lots of positive things to say about the Kriega Drypack’s, up to and including keeping everything dry in torrential downpours. It’s really impressive how compact modern camping equipment is. Expensive, but impressive. Eventually I’ll buy a tent with poles that fold in shorter length sections, or try to buy new poles for the current tent if possible. Happy trails.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
What tent are you using?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Re: tents and poles

Don't pack your poles in with your tent. Doesn't matter if they get wet, so you can just strap them on the outside wherever. That way there's plenty of room for your tent in your packs.

If I read the situation right.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I usually keep the tent outside the bag so I can pack it last and give the tent condensation some time to evaporate, but so far I’ve only motocamped in the dry season. I have a hard enough time with dry forest roads, I don’t want to try muddy ones.

The US-30 owns and happily fits everything else, though.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

4 day weekend coming up, leaving after work today. The nx250 is loaded up, yellow bag is hammock, underquilt, sleeping bag, cooking gear and misc stuff. side bags are food, water, tools and clothes. Ortlieb made nice motorcycle stuff, shame touratech bought it up, rebranded it and increased the price by 100%. Rok straps are awesome for bags.

Route is about 700 miles, mostly small roads, gravel where we can. The higher altitude roads that aren't plowed in the winter is still snow cowered and drifty, so it limits the choice of routes a little.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 07:59 on May 9, 2018

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
How did the trip go, dude?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Very good all in all. We got some major rain one day so we splurged on a hotel room to dry up properly. Did in total about 830 miles.

Rode supertankers

Saw some nice waterfalls

Made dinner

Dinner with a nice view

Saw some rune stones

Got educated on some local history(big image if you actually want to read

Because we spotted this huge thing a little ways from the road.

Bikes worked perfectly. I had to adjust my chain after the ride, my brother had to add a little oil, that was about it.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

Fallen Rib
Looks like a good time man! No tents though? What about mozzies down by the water? Not so much of a problem up your ways I take it!

Hallvard seems like a pretty bad rear end dude! Funny they were dealing with the same problems back then that we still are (foreign tax collection which doesn't benefit the locals so much as prop up the already wealthy)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

We use hennesy hammocks, they got a built in mosq net that works pretty good. And it's pretty early in the mosquito season here, only saw a few. They don't appear in numbers until late may.
The area we where in are pretty good also, no midges. In the more inner eastern parts midges are a real pain. You really want one of these or a really smoky fire.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
It would be cool if we could get a group together to motocamp this summer/fall. Would anyone in the Northeast US be interested?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
All my current bike bros are fragile olds with families that require lake houses now

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Yes but Midwest?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Voltage posted:

It would be cool if we could get a group together to motocamp this summer/fall. Would anyone in the Northeast US be interested?

Yes, I was planning on motocamping as a trial run for my cross-country trip later this year, would be more fun with other people.

Warning: my work schedule is both terrible and extremely variable.

chicagobutters
Sep 7, 2015

Re: tents and poles

Don't pack your poles in with your tent. Doesn't matter if they get wet, so you can just strap them on the outside wherever. That way there's plenty of room for your tent in your packs.

If I read the situation right.

Primary goal is to reclaim some real estate for increased maneuverability and comfort in route. Second is to keep everything inside those Kriega bags and use that VFR as intended without concern. A few years ago I’d use shoelaces to secure whatever... but it’s much more enjoyable for me this way.

I’ve had that Eureka Apex 2XT (pictured) for a few years now, tents in great shape, and TentPole Technologies might be my answer. I believe moving from 25.5” to 18” sections (with inserts) would do the trick but we’ll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

chicagobutters posted:

Primary goal is to reclaim some real estate for increased maneuverability and comfort in route. Second is to keep everything inside those Kriega bags and use that VFR as intended without concern. A few years ago I’d use shoelaces to secure whatever... but it’s much more enjoyable for me this way.

I’ve had that Eureka Apex 2XT (pictured) for a few years now, tents in great shape, and TentPole Technologies might be my answer. I believe moving from 25.5” to 18” sections (with inserts) would do the trick but we’ll see.

I've gotten poles from them before. Quick shipping. The fiberglass poles are heavy as gently caress.

• Locked thread