Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pizzatime

dunno if I phrased it right, what i'm talkin bout are these:

in all seriousness, these really get me. these imagery of seemingly perfect husbands and wives + that little joke that they're all about to burst into a violent rage or have to drink heavily.
the premise is clear. they're perfect. they don't make mistakes, everything they do is right, they would never do wrong but it's all a lie. they're not perfect, they lie all the time, they're the opposite of perfect. but there's something to that. there's something very deep about this. like it's living proof that being perfect is in itself the opposite of what it is supposed to be or something. help me out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

:shrug:

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
IT's not wine o' clock, but it is PIZZATIME!!!

DO you get it? THat's your name, OP, Pizzatime

Pizzatime

here's a couple more to get those brain juices flowing:

ham_sanitizer

professional swine bather
wow you really nailed a trope i sort of hadn't noticed.

ham_sanitizer

professional swine bather
yeah it's the idea that Ned Flanders must be unhappy and beat his wife or whatever, but i don't think that's true. there are some pretty perfect, bland, happy people out there and i envy them.

bwatts

Pizzatime posted:

in all seriousness, these really get me. these imagery of seemingly perfect husbands and wives + that little joke that they're all about to burst into a violent rage or have to drink heavily.
the premise is clear. they're perfect. they don't make mistakes, everything they do is right, they would never do wrong but it's all a lie. they're not perfect, they lie all the time, they're the opposite of perfect. but there's something to that. there's something very deep about this. like it's living proof that being perfect is in itself the opposite of what it is supposed to be or something. help me out here.

Pizzatime

like there's a scale from terrible to perfect and the more your outside goes towards the perfect side of the scale, the more your inside must be going towards the terrible side. gotcha

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
They have achieved a perceived societal ideal. That idea itself is inherently hollow. Look at the imagery and think of what were ideals in that era. Nice clothes and jewels, perfect make up, she's a big city socialite. Big smile, clean cut, he's probably the sole source of income at his family, and he'll work the same job forever and it will always take care of him. It's all a sham, isn't it? The "perfection" came at a cost of depth, of understanding of the world around them and other cultures. Race relations were horrible, gender equality was crap, and people just wanted quiet complacency after WWII and Korea. Each and every day of their lives will be the same until they get old and retire. What's the point? How do you cope with working the same job for 25 years, living in the same suburb, seeing the same neighbors and clerks at the grocery store, when your life runs on an endless loop? The answer is you do not cope well.

That or it's just some dumb mockery of a past ideal, that is a perfectly valid thing people do on the internet.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bwee

dude

Pizzatime

it's a pretty interesting subject. the truman show with jim carrey or i think pleasantville dealt with that kinda ideal too

Chef Shimi

It's ironic.

i am he

Qwerinty posted:

They have achieved a perceived societal ideal. That idea itself is inherently hollow. Look at the imagery and think of what were ideals in that era. Nice clothes and jewels, perfect make up, she's a big city socialite. Big smile, clean cut, he's probably the sole source of income at his family, and he'll work the same job forever and it will always take care of him. It's all a sham, isn't it? The "perfection" came at a cost of depth, of understanding of the world around them and other cultures. Race relations were horrible, gender equality was crap, and people just wanted quiet complacency after WWII and Korea. Each and every day of their lives will be the same until they get old and retire. What's the point? How do you cope with working the same job for 25 years, living in the same suburb, seeing the same neighbors and clerks at the grocery store, when your life runs on an endless loop? The answer is you do not cope well.

That or it's just some dumb mockery of a past ideal, that is a perfectly valid thing people do on the internet.

The 50's ruined America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bwee
You ruined America

• Locked thread