Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
My assigned work computer just recently developed an annoying 'feature'. it'll go to sleep but upon waking it there is no log on option/password. just the background.

so far the only thing that fixes this is a cold reboot. But there has to be a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I am seeing something similar with my wife's Windows 7 laptop. When we leave the lid closed for a while the back light in the screen doesn't want to light up when we open it back up. If I shine a bright light on the screen I can see that the desktop is there and responding to my input. But without the back light its basically impossible to use. A reboot always fixes the issue. It isn't going to sleep either, its on AC power so it just stays on all the time.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Ctrl+alt+del isn't doing anything? Check the power management settings and set the "require password went resuming from sleep" thing to on, just in case it wasn't and something wonky is happening there. Try putting it to sleep and waking without logging in and see if the problem is system-wide or limited to your profile. Maybe make a second local account and try it with that. Some combinations of software and hardware handle sleep really badly and might be hanging the whole thing coming out of S3.

• Locked thread