Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
"why are all these friend of the family shows on tv"

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

my Great Great Grandfather killed a fuckton of southerners, a tradition my family continues to this day.

Diqnol

They killed each other's family members and fellow nationals, OP, and then they genocided 1/32nd of me upon landing in America according to my desperate to find meaning in the universe aunt joan

City of Glompton

City of Glompton posted:

one of my multiple-great grandfathers was named Gabriel Franchere. he was a French Canadian clerk on the Astor expedition. he wrote a book about it, so I can read about all the times he almost died.

it's good to have LDS cousins deep into genealogy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Franch%C3%A8re

he's got a (very short) wikipedia entry!

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

City of Glompton

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

my Great Great Grandfather killed a fuckton of southerners, a tradition my family continues to this day.

post your pic so we can see if there's a family resemblance

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

bacalou

great grandpa got caught looking the other way when jews were bailing on germany. grandpa went to border with our family, enlisted in the us army, fought against the nazi party. after the war, grandpa got off the boat with his volkswagen in NYC, put his stuff in storage. drove cross country to california, swam in the ocean, then drove back to nyc to become a master carpenter and met my gran

Commie NedFlanders

a lot of them did ayahuasca and worked their bodies raw for generations and then some others were fancy pants europeans looking to conqista the world and brutalized and murdered and raped a bunch of the ones on the other side and in this clash of worlds they spawned a whole new ethnic group

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Commie NedFlanders

but yeah most of the specifics that come to mind are about recent ancestors being severely exploited or abused so that kinda sucks

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

City of Glompton posted:

post your pic so we can see if there's a family resemblance

Well, I've posted this before, so...

deep dish peat moss

My great grandfather was studying to be a priest in Germany when he knocked some girl up and they had to flee the church to America.

the unabonger
one of my relatives was the chief justice of the supreme court of california. he also married his first cousin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niles_Searls

alnilam

My grandma he up on staten island overlooking nyc harbor, she has a crazy story about how her family's maid/cook turned out to be a nazi spy in the 30s

Basically grandma was like 15ish and brought her friend home for dinner, this friend was jewish and the maid lady (recently immigrated from germany you see) was really weird and cold towards them

The next day my grandma was like "are you mad at me for something, why were you so weird last night" and the maid sort of melted down and said she couldn't believe she had to serve one of "those people" in this house and some day you will see a german flag flying over this harbor, goodbye!!! Grandma and her fam were like :yikes:, also good riddance get out you antisemite.

Later the fbi or similar visited and said this lady had been a spy, she had been tracking ship movements in the harbor from the porch (she used to sit there and "draw the harbor for fun") and she and this other german dude nearby had been relaying info via radio to germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Thread is delivering good stories, thank you. :)

Back in northern Vermont in 1775 Ethan Allen is marching on Fort Ticonderoga with his Green Mountain boys and a few hundred other volunteers. My ggggg grand father Solomon is 20 and joins up with his friend Jesse, also my 5xg grandfather. Another guy who joins up from the next town over, Silas, also ends up also being my 5xg grandfather.

Once you start trying to graph out your ancestors and realize how the numbers grow exponentially it becomes overwhelming. Ie 2 sets of grand parents, 4 sets of great grand parents. 8 sets of gg grandparents, etc. but in all trees there are places where cousins meet. I had to color code a chart from part of my tree during the 1600-1700s and it was pretty hosed up.

• Locked thread