Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Have any of you experienced a monsoon season in India or thereabouts? What were your impressions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Monsoons in southern Arizona are pretty much "its 112f outside today, oh cool now its pouring for days straight and literally causing damage because we don't have the infrastructure to deal with it!"

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Pegged Lamb posted:

Have any of you experienced a monsoon season in India or thereabouts? What were your impressions

It rains an absolute poo poo load, every single day.

It;s kind of neat that during the season you can know for a fact it will rain every day, so if you are setting out and it hasn't rained today you know to bring an umbrella

This was in a relatively dry part of India, in the swamps sometimes it rains for days without a break, but even in the dry areas it made seasonal streams and ponds that only existed half the year

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I spent monsoon season in Bangladesh studying gibbons one year because all the cool animals are most active then. As it sounds, its very wet and humid and hot. It would regularly be 95-100 degrees F in the shade with high humidity and then it would rain and cool down to 85-90 degrees F for a while. You could see the storms coming and everyone would scramble in from the rice paddies or tea plantations or fishing boats in the haor until it blew over and then go back to work. Everything I carried had to be wrapped in plastic and we used waterproof paper as much as possible but we still often had to drop everything and pull on all of our rain gear at least once a day and everything got completely coated in mud.

Out in the jungle the mud was the real issue, as well as the terrestrial leaches who really enjoy the wet season and would be constantly stalking you. In the cities the problem was flooding. Most of Bangladesh is a floodplain so when the monsoons hit the capital city and all the other main cities are pretty much under water. People drown in uncovered manholes and things all the time, especially since most of the population doesn't know how to swim. I flew home the day after a major flood and the streets of the capital had so many bloated dead cow (and other) corpses :gonk:

I can't find my other pictures of a storm blowing in but this was taken in the middle of the day before it started pouring. Some storms were more impressive than others but they happened nearly every day of the 3 months I was there.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It's wet OP.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Instant Jellyfish posted:

as well as the terrestrial leaches who really enjoy the wet season and would be constantly stalking you.

Elaborate please

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Elaborate please

imagine the sound of rain pattering on the leaves and litter of the forest floor... except instead of rain it's parasites and there's a circle of em crawling in your direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Elaborate please

They can move around on land like giant inchworms, occasionally stopping to wave their headparts around to look for you. They're super gross and their bites itch worse than mosquito bites and leave you bleeding after you pick them off. The tiger leeches also can end up on wet leaves and hop off onto your neck as you walk by. God help you if you aren't paying attention while taking a poo poo out in the jungle because it will look like you forgot a tampon on a heavy flow day.

If you remembered to tuck your pants into your socks and DEET every inch of uncovered skin it was ok though. You got used to it at least.

• Locked thread