Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gomababe
Oct 5, 2008
I'm in a little bit of a pickle at the moment and need some advice about where to go from here. Basically I am currently unemployed (due to a failed probationary period at my last job, don't ask) and have been giving serious thought about changing career paths to something I will enjoy infinitely more than office/call centre work. Unfortunately this will require getting a new qualification and a CRB check as I am looking into a Teaching Assistant role. For reference I live in the UK and already have a Bsc(hons) degree in Biological Sciences.

Currently my partner is in full time, minimum wage work and has enough savings to rule out being able to get help with our rent and my previous earnings disqualify us from getting Tax Credits for this year.I am currently looking for any kind of work that will enable me to help pay something towards the household, but not having much success. I am looking to gain a Level 2 Teaching Assistant qualification at the moment and am unsure how to go about paying for it since I can no longer apply for a student loan or any bursaries. I have looked some into how to get funding for the course, but my main concern is basic living expenses as my Jobseeker's Allowance will run out in September and my partner's savings will not last nearly that long. Anyone got some advice as to how we can sort this out before I think about going back to college?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

gomababe posted:

Basically I am currently unemployed (due to a failed probationary period at my last job, don't ask)

You glossed over this but it's actually super important. You failed to be retained by your previous employer and now want to take out loans to get a new career. What exactly happened that made you want to switch by doing something you obviously really can't afford right now?

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008

oxsnard posted:

You glossed over this but it's actually super important. You failed to be retained by your previous employer and now want to take out loans to get a new career. What exactly happened that made you want to switch by doing something you obviously really can't afford right now?

Basically I wasn't getting enough work to do despite being told that there would be more available once my probationary period started (I had been there for a while as a temp). I was also not receiving any training to do any other work in the office so I could help out my colleagues, this was after spending the previous couple of months asking about it.I stupidly did a preliminary search for similar roles on a computer at work during my lunch break (I didn't apply to anything) and my previous employer did not take too kindly to it. Stupid mistake, won't be making it again. As for the career move, I've done similar work on a voluntary basis in the past and absolutely loved it and regret not thinking to move into it sooner. All of the office and call centre work in my area is temporary and I would like some degree of stability in my life as I am turning 30 this month and would like to start a family at some point. The last job was an attempt at getting a permanent position, but it obviously didn't work out.

• Locked thread