Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
My PC is about 3-4 years old, bought it premade but not a big brand. I've been upgrading some easier to change parts (GFX, RAM, System drive to SSD). It's been running the stock CPU since I first got it and I haven't had any issues, but today I checked the temperature for the first time and it seems very hot. See screenshots below. I took off the CPU fan and removed some of the dust and cleaned up the inside of the case, but the temp is still very high. Are the sensors off or is something seriously hosed?

Do I need to replace the fan or is there anything else I can do? I can't really identify if the paste is bad, but maybe a simple re-pasting would do?

Overview:

No load:

Watching Twitch.tv stream and playing music in foobar, a few other idle programs open:

I've seen it go as high as 90 degrees. I've checked and the fans are spinning properly.

Edit: ugh forgot to change the drat thread icon. I guess it should be "hot" heh.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Check the temperature using realtemp http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
If it's still high:

Did you clean the CPU/heatsink surface when you put the fan back on? That's usually a necessity.

The most common way it to use coffee filters and then put isopropyl alcohol on them to wipe off old paste before applying new paste.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Realtemp report the same temperatures as the screenshots I posted, TJmax seems to be 100 degrees.

No, I didn't have any thermal paste around so I figured whatever was left on was better than nothing, but I'm getting some today.

I don't think the sensors are accurate however, as I opened the case and put a finger on the heatsink when the software said 65-70C, and there is no way it was even close to that hot. 40-45, maybe even 50, but not above 60. Regardless I don't think it would hurt to put on a little new paste so I'll clean up the remainder and put some new on today.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

This is your problem. Any time you lift the cooler from the cpu you need to clean and repaste it. There is probably air between the heatsink and the cpu. Just add a bit of paste and press the cpu on there, don't spread it with anything. Look it up on youtube but ignore the people whp use a finger or card to smear it.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Well, read a bunch of guides and watched a bunch of videos on how to remove old paste with alcohol etc. and reapply the paste. Got some Arctic Silver 5 on the way home from work and put it on. It's had a small effect already, it's idling at 45ish now, will give it some time to burn in I guess and if it isn't better in a couple of days I'll look into a replacement heatsink. Thanks for the help.

• Locked thread