Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombie Plague
Oct 31, 2009

I WENT TO E3 TO FIND MY DREAM JOB IN THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY.

WOMEN WHO WON'T FUCK ME WHEN I DO NICE THINGS FOR THEM ARE CUNTS.

I AM A PATHETIC WASTE OF OXYGEN.
Alright, I had an old boxy-style TV and like a year and a half ago, they sent the adapter box to switch to digital feed. I hooked it up, but eventually all except three channels could not be viewed. I was never a TV person, so I just gave up on it, and I think the digital adapter became unhooked to I could use the outlets on the surge protector.

Flash forward to today, and I just bought a Samsung Series 5 LED 31" TV. Hooked it up the the digital adapter through coax, and fired it up. TV turns on, black screen, then a message from the digital adapter saying it needs a software update. Fine. Sit through that, then it says the current tuned channel is not available.

Realized I might need an HDMI cable, drove back to Best Buy to get one. Called the cable company, they told me I needed to use the buttons on the TV to get it to channel 3. Futzed around with it, turns out there's only one joystick-like button on the TV. Press it down, it lets you into the menu, don't press it down and use it like a joystick/d-pad it tunes the channel and volume. Got it back on channel 3.

Called the cable company again, got the same person, who insists the TV has to use HDMI inputs from here on out, that coax inputs were phased out with the switch to digital. Not sure I believe this, but okay.

With channel 3 and 4, I get nothing but snow. With coax (TV) input, I get a black screen. She says my TV has to be switched to HDMI feed (I made very sure that it was going into HDMI 1, and that I was selecting HDMI 1) only, with no coax line attached, and that the TV can't have two inputs. Not sure I believe this either, but okay then. Got her to resend the signal that would activate the digital adapter, and still nothing.

TV won't accept switching to HDMI1, says "This source is not connected. Check connection again." So maybe it's the digital adapter that needs to be replaced?

All help is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Zombie Plague posted:

Alright, I had an old boxy-style TV and like a year and a half ago, they sent the adapter box to switch to digital feed. I hooked it up, but eventually all except three channels could not be viewed.

What's the exact device you're using? Being able to only view three channels sounds like it's malfunctioning.

Zombie Plague
Oct 31, 2009

I WENT TO E3 TO FIND MY DREAM JOB IN THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY.

WOMEN WHO WON'T FUCK ME WHEN I DO NICE THINGS FOR THEM ARE CUNTS.

I AM A PATHETIC WASTE OF OXYGEN.

Zogo posted:

What's the exact device you're using? Being able to only view three channels sounds like it's malfunctioning.

It's a Technicolor DCI401TWC2. Searching online turns up similar problems, but not this exact problem.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try to get a replacement of that in some way.

• Locked thread