Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

Our eldest cat is going turn 8 this year and she's not doing well, to say the least. She had a bad fall as a kitten but pulled through like a champ. But she's also prone to having colds and the first time she got fleas (back when we lived out at my grandmother's and we went out with us sometimes), she lost clumps of fur; once we got rid of them, the fur grew back. The house we moved into last winter had a flea infestation (we didn't know of) and all our pets got fleas come summer. Now it's happening again (but we're moving out, thank God) and her fur is falling out in large clumps. She also seems to be in pain when we pet her or one of the other cats licks her.

However, that's not the biggest issue at hand. My mom just told me that she noticed our cat has white poop. We don't know whether she has had this for a while and we just didn't notice or if it's a recent development. Regardless, all the Googling I've done in a panic in the past hour seems to point to this as a Very Big Issue. I'm going to take her to the vet as soon as possible (money is kind of tight with the move but if I have to forego getting an oven at the moment so she can see someone, so be it.) What I'm asking here is, what kind of stuff do you think I should expect the vet to tell me? I want to be able to be prepared. I mean, obviously you guys can't replace a vet's visit because you can't see her and interact with her but I'm freaking out and all I can think of is that she's dying.

And, yeah, I really don't want to have to put her down, since we lost our rabbit a little over a month ago unexpectedly. But if that's what it comes to...I mean, in the past month since this all this flea stuff started again, she's had a pretty rough time. Jesus, I just don't want it to happen. But it's something I guess I'll have to realistically prepare for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Any dietary changes lately? Changes in eating habits? Does she spend most of her times indoors or out? Does she smell any different then usual?

I do not believe you need an e-vet, but certainly get her to your local vet as soon as possible.

(i am not a vet)

Lintwhite
Oct 15, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Any dietary changes lately? Changes in eating habits? Does she spend most of her times indoors or out? Does she smell any different then usual?

I do not believe you need an e-vet, but certainly get her to your local vet as soon as possible.

(i am not a vet)

Besides the fur loss, she's been fine, and eats and drinks the same as she always has. She's exclusively an indoor cat (except that one time we would bring her out with us when I lived at my grandmother's.) And she smells the same, has the same activity level, same weight. She's always been a pretty chill cat but she'll still halfheartedly bat at you if given a chance. And I talked to my mom and she said she noticed the poop just the one time a week ago but we're going to keep an eye on her and call the vet in the morning.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Lintwhite posted:

Besides the fur loss, she's been fine, and eats and drinks the same as she always has. She's exclusively an indoor cat (except that one time we would bring her out with us when I lived at my grandmother's.) And she smells the same, has the same activity level, same weight. She's always been a pretty chill cat but she'll still halfheartedly bat at you if given a chance. And I talked to my mom and she said she noticed the poop just the one time a week ago but we're going to keep an eye on her and call the vet in the morning.

That might have been a one-off thing then. Doesn't sound like she's dying of liver failure right this second though. A vet visit will do her good though. Definately sounds like she has some sort of bad flea allergy though.

• Locked thread