Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuuurls
Jan 30, 2007

Hot Farts Are What I Eat
Hoyle Card Games

What's this garbage?
It is Hoyle Card Games, brought to you by Broderbund Games, the release company of other titles such as "Bass Guitar for Dummies," "50 Halloween Fonts with Bonus ClipArt," "5000 Fonts," "Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13 Home," "Ice Road Truckers," and countless other classic hits.

Card Game? I could do that in Real!
Instead, you have parked your butt in front of the keyboard, typethed upon with the farts of said butt, in order to mock me. You cannot play card games in real because you have no friends in real.

Why did you insult me. That hurts my feelings.
What I'm trying to say is, unlike you, I have many friends, and card games help to create new (and reinforce existing) friendships due to their long history and timeless accessibility. Your 90-year-old great Aunt Mildred might not be willing to throw down for Mario Kart, but she would love to destroy you in Blackjack or Bridge.

But don't you think card games, with their actionless, explosionless nature, are too boring to Let's Play?
For your information, there actually ARE explosions in this game, along with about 1,000 special effects like: music, animation, and fun.
You can choose your voice acted and animated opponents, a decision which I'll be turning over to You All In The Thread for each video that I release.

Each personality you choose has the ability to say sassy, repentant, angry, (etc.) lines. You can compliment them or trash talk them, but I don't think it impacts the way they play cards whatsoever. It was amazingly hilarious when I was 7-10 years old (when I first played the 1997 release of this game collection) and I am CERTAIN it will be just as hilarious now.

There is a lot to discuss about the mechanics and history of card games, so I will be discussing it at times. Which times? :iiam:

I want friends so badly. Can I please provide commentary?
If you have a particular card game you like/can talk about, have expert proficiency with, or you otherwise do something with a deck of cards (like Tarot or sleight of hand) and want to talk about it, get in touch with me on Twitter or whatever avenue you think you can find me on.

UPDATES

Introduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KseLAY_Hb8

Part 1: Go Fish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdNW9fMkFOU

Part 2: Old Maid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeBg3NuDpP0

Chuuurls fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuuurls
Jan 30, 2007

Hot Farts Are What I Eat
CHARACTER BIOS

CURRENT OPEN VOTE (5/4/15) 1 opponent for War

Chloe is a personal trainer from Rochester, Minnesota, but don't let her supportive personality fool you - she is quite competitive. She knows hard work pays off at the game table, so she spends those long Minnesota winters perfecting her strategies.

Elayne is a native Manhattanite who doesn't see why she should ever leave. This fast-track advertising exec unwinds from a hectic day on Madison Aveue with some of the most popular games of all time.

Harley is a talking bear who likes food and rolling in the grass naked. He dislikes forest fires, tourists, and hikers who think they can run away. Underneath the growly exterior, he's a pussycat (unless you are eating and don't offer to share).

Hedda recently moved to the United States from Germany, where she was the undisputed game champion for 15 consecutive years. She is not for the faint-hearted. Hedda considers herself a master of Hoyle games, and she may try to rattle you with her comments.

Jack made his living as a travel writer, but he recently retired to the New England coast. He works on his sailboat, collects antiques, and vacations all over the world. Jack has some great stories to tell, but don't let him distract you from your game.

Since Jasper left Jamaica years ago, he has traveled the world as a jazz bass player. All that time on the road has made him a world class gamer. Jasper points out, "A good game is like a song that start slowly and builds to a strategic crescendo."

For a fierce T-rex, Marvin is quite likeable. Although self-conscious about his tiny arms and still bitter about the Ice Age, Marvin hasn't eaten an opponent yet. Marvin spends his time bird watching, playing games, and avoiding extinction.

Rhett is a dyed-in-the-wool Hoyle gamer from Texas - stay sharp or he'll beat you every tie. His strong opinions will have your head spinning, but he's always entertaining. As long as you stick to the rules Rhett will be a regular at your game table.

Roswell is the sole survivor of the famous "crash" in Roswell, New Mexico. The government employed him as a janitor at Area 51 to keep this event hidden from the public. Now retired, Roswell keeps his oversized brain (and his unchecked sarcasm) exercised by playing games.

Captain Scurvy is a parrot pirate who has spent many years conquering all available seas. On long sailing across the Pacific Ocean, he plays a variety of games with his crew. Captain Scurvy is noisy, friendly, and quick to offer advice.

Tasha has so much energy, it hardly seems possible that she can sit still for a game - but she loves to play. She works as a hostess at a Cajun restaurant, where things are always hopping. Talkative, funny, and a bit unpredictable, Tasha will spice up any game.

Tony is a fireman - he honed his game skills during midnight shifts at the firehouse. He may seem like the strong, silent type, but invite him for a game and he'll loosen right up. Tony is the new father of twin baby girls, but even sleep deprivation won't stop him from playing to win.

{There are different characters for the gambling games that I'll be updating this list with as I go.}

Chuuurls fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 4, 2015

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Voice was a lil' quiet, music a bit loud, but otherwise, that was a fun game o' Go Fish. As far as opponents go, there's only one I really want in: Harley. I mean, a bear with down home charm and a filthy streak of luck? Count me in!

Also, hot drat, games like this can sometimes have insane customisation options for what they are: Simple, yet fun games, replicated for folks who maybe don't have a dimly lit room, a card shoe, and a copious quantity of ciga- Oh, wait, projecting. Sorry.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Could you perhaps adjust the volume of your microphone upwards? You have a pleasant voice, but I almost cannot hear you over the music in the background.

EDIT: Beeeeaaaten~

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Chuuurls posted:

What's this garbage?
It is Hoyle Card Games, brought to you by Broderbund Games, the release company of other titles such as "Bass Guitar for Dummies," "50 Halloween Fonts with Bonus ClipArt," "5000 Fonts," "Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13 Home," "Ice Road Truckers," and countless other classic hits.

The game your playing is actually a repackaged version of a Sierra title.

you can see Tony right there on the cover. I always use to play War with Roswell and Marvin. The Revenge button was also always good for a laugh.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'll vote for Jack, Harley, and Rhett.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I know much about Euchre as I am from Michigan and have been playing forever. I am willing to defeat school anyone in honorable trick-taking play.

What is a bower? Why is this ace losing to this Jack? What the gently caress why did my great card do nothing? I will reveal dark secrets to you.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I use to love this thing. I think it actually made me understand Bridge at some point.

I'll vote for Captain Scurvy because a pirate bird owns.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
A vote for Harley is a vote for delaying the inevitable bear uprising.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
I started learning how to play Cribbage because of this game! (...Well, a much older version that ran on Sierra's SCI engine, but still.)

Oh, and voting for Harley, Marvin, and Cap'n Scurvy.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
A vote not for Harley is a vote wasted.

But I'm reading this thread, so I'm wasting my time anyway. What's a vote or two? I vote Cap'n Scurvy!

HelmetCondenser
Nov 7, 2009
Have you ever played Go Fish with two decks of cards? It's a great way to see your friends upset.

Oh, and another vote for CAPTAIN SCURVY!

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!
Wow. I had the board game version of this as a kid. It looks like only two of the characters transferred to (from?) that one.

Jasper is one of them.

Chuuurls
Jan 30, 2007

Hot Farts Are What I Eat
I hereby declare voting to be over.
Here's the tally:

Harley: 5 :tbear:

Jack: 1

Rhett: 1

Marvin: 1

Cap'n Scurvy: 4

Jasper: 1

Seems we have a four-way tie between Jack, Rhett, Marvin, and Jasper. I'm gonna go ahead and throw in my vote for Marvin and break the tie.

Expect OLD MAID up sometime within the next few days--maybe even tonight if editing is easy.

I really like the Gamblin' Goon, but if you feel he's not suitable or if you'd like to see another of my abominable creations, please vent your concerns in the thread. We could also play with STAWDF if you want.

For our next vote, we need a single opponent for War.

e: also 99 hogs can come for Euchre but you have to leave 1 hog at home because I don't have enough space in my house for it.

Chuuurls fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 4, 2015

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

I remember playing this as a kid!

The four-color deck is cool, but since the modern standard is to have black spades and blue diamonds, it looks kind of weird to the trained eye.

I work with cards (and dice, and chips, and...) professionally, so while most of these games are a bit out of my purview, I'm more-or-less an expert in most gambling games, if any questions come up. Also I kinda have a card collection, but that's boring.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

For War, I still want to see Jack's stories.

Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014
Gamblin' Goon is a treasure, and should stay. Also Harley should be in every game.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Chuuurls posted:

e: also 99 hogs can come for Euchre but you have to leave 1 hog at home because I don't have enough space in my house for it.
If 99 hogs isn't enough then 100 wouldn't be either so I can agree with these terms.

Chuuurls
Jan 30, 2007

Hot Farts Are What I Eat
HOT DAWG!!! The video for OLD MAID is here! Thanks to friend Helmetcondenser, a member of these fine forums, who provided guest commentary for this episode. Enjoy!

Part 2: Old Maid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeBg3NuDpP0

E4C85D38 posted:

I remember playing this as a kid!

The four-color deck is cool, but since the modern standard is to have black spades and blue diamonds, it looks kind of weird to the trained eye.

I work with cards (and dice, and chips, and...) professionally, so while most of these games are a bit out of my purview, I'm more-or-less an expert in most gambling games, if any questions come up. Also I kinda have a card collection, but that's boring.

I had no idea about the modern standard deck. I've only played with decks that had black clubs/spades and red hearts/diamonds.

There's actually a separate game launcher and set of (disgustingly rendered, 3d) characters for gamblegames. I want to do Blackjack after I get the really easy games out of the way, and Blackjack is a good liminal point for someone to come with me on videos for gambling stuff--I enjoy it but couldn't explain it logically to others.
Nerding out about card decks is also okay.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If 99 hogs isn't enough then 100 wouldn't be either so I can agree with these terms.

I'm about to throw money into Lowtax's gaping bankhole for PMs unless you all who want to commentate think I should just scream out my contact info in a post or make you all contact me on twitter like I darn well indicated you should.
(It's also really easy to figure out my Skype handle, so maybe you can do that.)

Chuuurls fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 5, 2015

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
I want to see how Hedda reacts to a game that is all-luck.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What's that light switch to the top right do?

Abitha Denton
Jan 10, 2012
God bless this thread. What's everyone's favorite card from these games? I expected mine of the Jack of Hearts but he's way different in-game than the manga portrayed.

Anyway this is a nice LP.

HelmetCondenser
Nov 7, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's that light switch to the top right do?

It's the tutorial on/off switch, I believe.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Chuuurls posted:

I had no idea about the modern standard deck. I've only played with decks that had black clubs/spades and red hearts/diamonds.

I should probably clarify—that's the modern standard for four-color decks, which these days if you see at all (more than likely on some online client) you mainly see in some poker and bridge (do NOT gently caress with bridge players). Decks that have just black-and-red are still by and large the most common you'll find in most households and on card tables, but if one has four colors, they're the ones you're using*.

*Applies within the US—other countries may have different standard card decks, usually in addition to the French-suited (club-diamond-heart-spade) 52-and-maybe-some-jokers deck.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

E4C85D38 posted:

(do NOT gently caress with bridge players)

Four. No. TRUMP. Sir or madam.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Nidoking posted:

Four. No. TRUMP. Sir or madam.

Don't let your partner do this to you if you just skipped on a call. Just strangle them instead. My opponents said if we weren't on a bus this would be a great time for me to go out for a smoke.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

WilliamAnderson posted:

Don't let your partner do this to you if you just skipped on a call. Just strangle them instead. My opponents said if we weren't on a bus this would be a great time for me to go out for a smoke.

I look at my watch and announce "last hand", but in this case, it was an asking bid.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
We should play Tony, he is a sexy man

Chuuurls
Jan 30, 2007

Hot Farts Are What I Eat
It's me, the thread necromancer, back to haunt you with my skeletons!

I just finished a cross-country move and trip that was more than 2 weeks and 1,000 miles. Sheesh! So I don't have an update for you, but I do have an assurance that the update is coming soon. Also please do not close my thread.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
This is the LP version of a visit to my aunt's house when I was a kid.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I should write down all my interesting Bridge stories so that when the thread finally gets there in 2019 or so, I can regale you all with the time I made a 3NT bid that should never have been or the time I had no idea what to open and missed a nearly cold slam.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Since my last post, I tried picking up the very basics of bridge.

It didn't go well. Pretty sure I'm haunted or something now, somebody carved 2♣ into my wall and part of my deck collection is covered in blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

E4C85D38 posted:

It didn't go well. Pretty sure I'm haunted or something now, somebody carved 2♣ into my wall and part of my deck collection is covered in blood.

In Yellow Card, that means whoever lives in your wall has a really good hand. Don't pass a 2♣ opening bid and you shouldn't have any problems.

• Locked thread