Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
I started using Slack with my team recently, and one feature I absolutely adore in it is that I can integrate various services into it and see updates from them in one place (and with all of the people they're relevant to).
I'm wondering if there's an application that focuses on providing this services, so that I can aggregate many things I'm interested in to one place under different subjects and such. For example, follow a few Twitter hashtags, a few keywords from Reddit, a Github repo, etc. Another channel/feed would be following Trello tasks and issues on Basecamp, another one would be for entertainment, etc etc.

I'm one of those weird people who still uses an RSS reader to follow blogs and such, so I'm not sure whether I'm the only person in the universe who would also be interested in a service like this. Does this exist? Would you use it if it did?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
A lot of people were interested in such a service, and Google Reader offered exactly that. Then Google decided not to play nicely any more, and took it away. There are probably alternatives that sprung up after this.

Edit: I admit I skimmed what you wrote, so this may not have been relevant

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 1, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I don't get it, are those other things you want to follow not available as rss feeds? Are you not just asking about an rss reader?

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?

Factor Mystic posted:

I don't get it, are those other things you want to follow not available as rss feeds? Are you not just asking about an rss reader?

Many of those things aren't; as well, RSS readers don't (easily?) let you see one part of the feed based on a hashtag/keyword/search or other parameters relevant to the app (task completed/shared by X friends/you were tagged).

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
The former is a filter, which many rss readers have, and the latter would most easily be handled by separate feeds or 1 mega feed subscribed multiple times with different filters. I don't know that anyone can help you without just specifically setting it up for you.

• Locked thread