Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

This is a Hybrid Paladin run. It will show parts of the Wizard, Thief and Paladin as much as I can.

Welcome to my LP of the forth game in the QFG series. In this sequel the hero appears in a dark cave after being teleported away from his friends at the end of QFG III. However, everything we collected in QFG III didn't make the trip with us...the Hero starts with the Armor on his back and 1 crown in his money pouch. Things look pretty grim at this point as you cannot exit the area you are in and have no idea where you are.

As you look around the room you will notice a few dead bodies along the ground...you can either trip over them or search them for their items. These skeletons will have varying amounts of "Crowns" and Kopeks" which are what the "Royals" and "Commons" were in the previous games.

The more important items are the dagger and flint that you can get. This will allow you to make a spark, which you need to have in order to get a torch. Once you can see, head to the entrance and you will force the door with the dagger.

In the next room, pick up the battered sword and shield and head south. You will be attacked by Bats. I tend to go with auto battle in this game as the fighting mechanic is the weakness of the game. Once the bats are dead you will enter the next room. Once in this room cross over the pit by using the hand over hand choice. Once through here you will end up outside. A girl will talk to you and leave. Make sure you take the "dark one" sign before leaving the screen. It is vital to the game.

Once on the next screen slide down the slope and if you are a hybrid paladin like me, use force bolt to knock the rocks away from the bonzai bush, then cast fetch on it. If you don't have magic, go over one screen and pick up some rocks to throw and it...it will then drain down to your reach.

Go west again and quickly head north, away from the swamp. Keep going north until you reach a dead-end, then head east one screen and north another. Once at the gates, check the old stump for some more money and take an ear of corn from the Stalk.

However at the fork I went to the west and talked to Boris the Gatekeeper so I could start a Quest once I got into town.

Once in town you will see a staff. Touching it will make you let go real fast...so ignore it for now, but perhaps take some of the flowers. Then you will meet the Burgomeister....and he doesn't like you...talk to him about everything and then go inside to get more info. Once done go to the general store and talk to the owner...strange...she knows a Boris just like that gatekeeper...mention that to her to start a side quest...a long...annoying side quest.

Buy some rations, candy, a pie tin, shopping bag and the broom. You can get garlic for free in your hotel room. Leave.

Go to the inn, talk to everyone and rent a room for the week.

Check here for map of Mordavia -->http://www.sierrahelp.com/Documents/Maps/QuestForGlory/QfG4ForestMap.html

Stay tuned for part 2!

Part 1 - Mordavian Nights

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Map Of Mordavia

Items in red are only available at night.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really like the Lovecraftian twist they took on this one.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I really like the Lovecraftian twist they took on this one.

Me too. It works very well. Not to mention all of the references to older horror films.

Saxcat20 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 2, 2015

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Join me for Part 2 here!

In this episode we do a bit of exploration in the town.

First, talk to Igor the Gravedigger about all topics. Next, use the key given to you by the Burgermeister and open the door to the Adventurer's Guild. We have a bit to do here.

First, break open the glass case and take the much better sword from the case.

Then, read the log book and sign it (With the flourish again thank god).

Take the Rope and grapnel set and climb up the practice chain. (A thief will see a scratching to look under the table)

You can practice using the stairstepper if you want. It does help several attributes and some enemies in this game can be tough!

Read all of the literature in the bookcase...some of it is vital to the game and you need to find about the Resulka and the Leshy...without reading it you'll not be able to get full points.

Look under the table for the solution to a puzzle...the puzzle is beside the bookcase. Solve the puzzle using the code from the table and it will open a compartment above the bookcase.

After climbing the bookcase you will find yourself in an abandoned Thieves Guild. First, take the card in the picture and use it to open the large doors at the top of the guild. You can read up on traps from this bookcase. Next, look in the drain to find a safe knob.

Use the Safe Knob on the safe in the back. The problem is, the password to the safe is FILCH, but there are only the letters A, C, E, G, I, and K. Actually, clicking on the lines between the letters will register for B, D, F, H, J, and L. So spell out FILCH with that knowledge in mind.

Inside you'll fine...nothing but some Throwing Daggers and a simple Lockpick. Search the desk, and check for traps to take out an evil Poison Gas Trap. Now you can pick the lock without getting snuffed.

Inside the desk, you'll find the Acme Mark II Thieves Toolkit, which will allow you to not only pick complex locks, but also disarm nearly any mechanical trap. Also inside is the Chief Thief's logbook, which tells of castle raids, various other bad things, and a strange riddle:

Now's a good time to practice disarming traps. Look at the two pictures on the far wall. Each one has a safe behind it. Move the picture, then use the Toolkit on the safe to begin disarming traps. The object is to time your clicks so that you get three of the same color in a straight row.

Anyway, tap the barrel under the poster. It'll move aside to reveal a secret panel. Remember the riddle? The answer is:

Blue-Blue-Yellow
Green-Green-Green
Red-Green-Red

You meet the Chief Thief but he is not well. He explains his situation to you and you can agree to help him. Talk to him about all topics to learn about the Monastery. Leave and head out to the Monastery. Use the Dark One sign on the Guard and then the door. Once inside:

Use the Dark One's Sign on the door to open it and enter the Monastery. If you have enough strength, you can smash open a cabinet for a Healing Potion, but your main attraction here is to get access to the basement. Use your Garlic on the Hexapod above the fireplace, then touch the fireplace bar on the right side of the fireplace to open a secret passage.

Once there disarm the trap on the desk, or use the open spell. Then read the mad monk's book. Afterwards you can take the little statute but you must have a shopping bag or you turn into a banana slug. Then, drink from the cask and watch the scene...holy crap...

Then take the first of many rituals and head back to the Thieves Guild. Use the statue on the Chief Thief. He will be ever so grateful. He doesn't really give you anything but a bit of advice on entering the Castle....

Thank you and stay tuned for part 3!

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Paladin Abilities (Cause...I forgot to mention them earlier)

"Flaming Sword"
The first ability gained is the ability to encase the Paladin
Sword with a blue flame, which will do more damage. Of course, you'll need a Paladin Sword before you can invoke the flame. You can get a new sword,
but you need to deal with the strongest wraith first and it drains your health so fast it will be late game before you can deal with it. At least Day 7.

"Healing"
Earned at 230 Honor Points
This goes under your Magical Spells. Cast it upon yourself or
others to increase Health Points. It drains your Stamina when you use it, and the higher your Stamina, the more Health you'll replenish. Just make sure not to wear
yourself out when using it...then you'll start loosing health again.

"Sense Danger"
Earned at 250 Honor Points BUGGED aka you always have it...
Once this skill is earned, you'll automatically be able to sense whenever you're in any kind of danger. Kind of the the "Spidey Sense"

"Honor Shield"
Earned at 280 Honor Points
This skill allows you to take less damage when attacked. Certainly useful, but as long as your character is over 300 in Endurance and Strength...you should be fine.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
About the paladin's Flaming Sword ability: I recall you can get a battleaxe from one of the wraiths' burial cairns. Does Flaming Sword work with that, or do you need an actual sword?

Also, once upon a time when I was wrestling to get QFG4 to work properly under Win95's MS-DOS prompt, I found out that the Import Character function doesn't specifically look for a specific character file. For shits and giggles, I tried to import the Win95 system.ini file.

I wound up with a character with ~10000 (might have been closer to 11000) Strength. I think the stat cap is a slightly more reasonable 400.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Snorb posted:

About the paladin's Flaming Sword ability: I recall you can get a battleaxe from one of the wraiths' burial cairns. Does Flaming Sword work with that, or do you need an actual sword?

Also, once upon a time when I was wrestling to get QFG4 to work properly under Win95's MS-DOS prompt, I found out that the Import Character function doesn't specifically look for a specific character file. For shits and giggles, I tried to import the Win95 system.ini file.

I wound up with a character with ~10000 (might have been closer to 11000) Strength. I think the stat cap is a slightly more reasonable 400.

The Fighter gets the axe, paladin gets the sword.

LOL that character would disintegrate the bunny enemies, lol

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

Snorb posted:

That character would wipe the floor everything but two enemy type. Mainly, because they are more ranged.

Also that scene from the wine is indeed an awesome scene.

Saxcat20
May 8, 2013

Part 3 is here!

After talking to the Chief Thief head to the right and use the hand icon on Dr. Cranium's doorbell.

After pressing the simon like game on Dr. Cranium's door and enter his home, open the door on your right. You'll be Antwerped, but since they're baby antwerps, you won't be killed. Check the machine in the middle of the room. You have to answer questions relating to the Antwerp. The order is random, but here are the characteristics of an Antwerp:

It bounces
It has no legs
It does NOT sing "Waltzing Matilda"

If you do it right, you should learn that Antwerps love Avacado...gross, so use one of your Rations on the machine. Now open the door again. Soon, an antwerp will bounce right into your trap.

Open the door on the left. You have to guide the antwerp through the maze by rotating it. Your creature must reach the key, then get to the exit. Just be careful, and you'll figure it out. Now go to the northern door. You have to build a keyhole using the pieces. Be warned; on the highest difficulty, you'll also have to rotate some pieces! Anyway, when the keyhole is built, use the key you got from the maze on it to enter Dr. Cranium's Lab.

Ask Dr. Cranium about Healing and Poison Cure Potions. You'll have to enter a formula from the manual (I screw up the poison one during this video but fix it soon). When you get it right, you'll be able to pick up one of each potion once per day. Also stock up on some Empty Flasks, and be sure to ask him about EVERYTHING!

You should run into a ghost at a screen near the cemetary (it is mentioned on the map) Talk to her, and she'll ask you to lead her to the town. Accept, and exit the screen the way you came. She isn't following you.

Go back and tell her she's a ghost, which means she can't leave the spot where she died. She won't believe you. Leave the screen again, then come back. Tell her about ghosts, and she'll freak out and dissapear. Leave the screen, then return. Now she'll finally be willing to accept reality; she's an undead. She'll also tell you that her name is Anna. Hmmm, where have we heard that name before? Oh yeah...uh oh. Make sure to tell her husband when you go back to town...he'll wonder off and die as well and we need to come back to the screen the next night to get an important (yes it really is) item.

I then spend most of this video killing Wraiths. There is only one you can't kill at this point. It is marked as a Master Wraith on the map. Make sure you are at high health levels as the undead will suck your life as the battle rages. If you are at 300 strength it won't be too bad. You will get money, bones and a new set of armor from these...also some jewels and whatnot that can't be sold (as far as I know) and seem to just be for show. We will leave the Master Wraith for another part.

Thanks for watching! Stay tuned for part 4!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Ahhhhh....good. Bout time.

There hasn't been an lp I could truly stand behind for this one. Most of them don't include the voices. And that's a drat shame.

Also, go ahead and do a wizard run - at least the stuff that's seriously different.

I seriously spent hours trying to get new messages from the narrator.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 22, 2015

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I bought this game back in the day when it came with i think nine floppies and a bunch of really cool manuals. dont stop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
Uh... when I try to watch your videos, it says they've all been "removed by the user"? :confused:

• Locked thread