Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Newest thing: Solo 2!

Hey, also check out my LP of Lone Survivor. It's... not a lot like this game. But it's good!

See Post #2 for old LP updates!

Hoooo boy. It's been a while.

So as a quick primer for Goony-Come-Latelys, this is the LP I started and just ran out of steam on. About last Thanksgiving, in fact. You'll, uh, hear some references to that in the latest bro-op here. It's Guacamelee! It's an excellent 2D fighting metroidvania lucha libre.... thing. I'm playing it through solo and with Mzbundifund.

We're actually pretty close to finishing it, so this isn't going to be a super long thread, I just didn't want to let this die on the vine - it's a good game!

So what's left?

Mzbundifund has to get 2 mask pieces yet, one in the Forest del Chivo and one near Juan's house. After that, it's just Calaca's fortress!

And you're doing a single-player "pro" run?

Yeah. There's been a new release since I updated last (ha), with some neat bonus content, so my single-player run will highlight that. I'm releasing one "catch-up" run to show off some of the graphical / gameplay changes, which gets us from the start of the game up to where the new content starts. There'll then be one update for the new content, then one that takes us from the new content through the end of the game.

So about this new content?

Some of it is just neat graphical stuff. They put in a lot of details, changed the upgrade screen from epilepsy-causing flashes to a more stylized, smooth pattern. Health bars for enemies, automatic clinging to walls, re-positioned enemies, some new suits, etc. The biggest changes are the intenso meter, a new area, and a new boss.

Intenso? New area? New boss?

All are top-notch stuff. It's a great update.

The intenso meter is just kind of an add-on, a meter that fills as you combo, which you can then release for a short burst of super damage, along with a health and stamina boost. Nothing really game-breaking, though to fully take advantage of it you need the enemies to be really thick on the ground.

The new area is the Canal, which gives some background on Tostada(!), has some new enemies, and is just generally neat and well-designed.

The new boss is probably my favorite part. Basically, imagine Gravelord Nito was an entire mariachi band. !!! You can't top that. That is just the best.

Where can I get caught up on the LP so far?

I'll include both the bro-op with me and Mzbundifund and the single-player stuff (plus the extras) below. Honestly, if you're new, I'd recommend checking out the bro-op, but since I'll be covering the same old ground in my new singleplayer review, you can give it a skip. Unless you like to listen to me talk, I mean, I get it. I've got that radio voice.

Shut up

Sorry.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Bienvenidos

And welcome to the Guacamelee LP! This is going to be so awesome.

(Thread title means either [or both] "Stronger than death" or [and] "More serious than death". It's a nice sound AND a fine play on words, if I do say so myself! And yes, I know there's an accent in mas, but the thread title yelled at me for improper characters!)

===========================================================================

Bacter, answer us honestly: what is Guacamelee?

Guacamelee is a metroidvania/beat-em-up/side-scroller/art game with a dash of Ikaruga and some excellent, not-overdone silliness and character design.

In short, it's a potent amount of fun in a petit package, not unlike some of your spicier salsas. Mexican/Latin American metaphors are going to come up a lot in this game.

Why?

Well, Guacamelee is set somewhere vaguely south of the (American) border. You might be tempted at various times to think it's Mexico, Brazil, Peru... lots of those kinds of places. If anybody more fluent in geography and culture than I am can spot what is clearly supposed to be the setting for this game, let me know. Until then, the setting is officially "Magic Realism Latin America".

So what's the game about?

SO MUCH COOL STUFF YOU GUYS. There are evil skeleton charros, a gunslinger cursed by El Diablo himself to be on fire forever, which barely gets in the way of his heavy drinking, wacky themed luchadors, and it's all set during El Dia De Los Muertos, in what becomes this amazingly-well-drawn cultural pinata explosion.

Charros? Luchadors? Dia De Los Muertos? Bacter, I am so culturally ignorant it HURTS.

That's cool. I was too, before this game! And as is my custom, I've got a whole slew of awesome cultural artefacts and other extras just cooking away, ready to be released at a time of my choosing.

And as is your custom, will we be making our own ending and just generally thread participating as usual?

Actually, not this time, muchachos. Well, as relates to the ending. I know I've only done super-story-heavy adventure games so far, and there are more of those I want to LP in the future, but part of what I like here is branching out and doing some new games. Guacamelee doesn't really have enough of a story TO come up with an alternate ending. I still want thread participation, though!

How we gonna participate then, Bacter? BACK UP YOUR STATEMENTS.

Easy! One of my favorite parts about this game is how ABSOLUTELY CHOCK-FULL it is with references. TO games, internet memes, works of fiction and literature, there are just hundreds of the things.

So, be on the lookout for them! If you find one, list it in the comments, and you'll have claimed it. I'll say the goon who racks up the most references caught might just win themselves a FANCY PRIZE! Maybe more to come? Who knows.

So what all are you doing for this LP?

'Couple things.

1) BACTER PLAYS - This is a solo run, through hard mode, gonna get 100% of everything. And do it in a timely fashion. I don't mean to BRAG, but I am the 23rd fastest person in the entire world at beating this game, as of 10/9/2013.

2) TAG TEAM - I'll be co-commenting along with perennial favorite and near-human Mzbundifund, as he plays through the game for the first time. Normal mode (since you have to beat the game once to unlock hard mode), possibly 100% if he insists on finding everything, but not if he doesn't. Ima let him take the reigns and just shoot the breeze with him as he does. Give him some encouragement folks, he tries.

3) BONUS ROUND - This is going to contain a) the side quests and little extras in the game that I don't want to bog down the regular play-through with, and b) some special extra cultural stuff that I thought was neat enough to throw in the game.

Who knows what else'll happen later, but that's good for now I think.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 17, 2015

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

REFERENCES OWNAGE LIST (probably to be replaced by a pretty graphic at some point!)

Ulvirich
Majora's Mask

Six of Spades
Insanity Wolf
Mega Man
Mario Bros
Minecraft
O'rly owl

Neige
Me Gusta face
Grumpy Cat
Gato Grunon Cat Food!
"Gentlemen"

Stratavarius
Booster from Super Mario RPG
Link
Castle Crashers
Mr. Destructoid
Giant Bomb

dscruffy1
Link getting ready to bodyslam Ganondorf (in church)
ANGRY ROOSTER awesomesauce might be a reference to sriracha? (I'll count it!)
First ep. name
Fire Flower in Tule Tree

Choco Boco
Buisness Cat
Bachelor Frog
8bit MarioBit Trip Runner
Viva Piņata

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Sweet Tequila info

The Grundtvigian
Hernando's Hideaway
Awesome information about the -ucho suffix

Non-EuclideanCat
Prinny
Chozo Statues
Metroid statues (close enough!)

Hirayuki
Hablando del rey de roma idiom

Mr. Maltose
Magical Realism note

Nimby
Das Boot
Angry Birds

Fiendly
Tobasco sauce

Kangra
Superbrothers

Green Intern
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Lobster Horse
The mystery of the audio
Wario
Megaman pattern in wall
space invaders
Majora's mask warp points

Scribbleykins
Mega man energy tank

FH_Meta
8-bit Mario
Donkey Kong

TheGreatGildersneeze"
Escape Goat (Goat Trainer)
"SplinterFace," which is a nickname of the smug grin Splinter throws at the camera in the victory cutscene for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for the SNES.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 2, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I did my own LP of this game, but I'm still going to watch this one, because Guacamelee is hella good and everyone should play it. It's on pretty much every platform now so you don't have any excuse, either.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Let's catch up. And uh, not spend a lot of time doing it!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Alright. NEW content, played sensibly.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Happy Cinco de Mayo, everybody!

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Bacter fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 17, 2015

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Forest del Chivo translates as "Forest of the Goat", which makes sense considering this game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nice to know!

ALSO

LET'S DO THIIIIIIS

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bacter posted:

Nice to know!

ALSO

LET'S DO THIIIIIIS

I'm so glad to finally see the conclusion to this. This is a fantastic game to see in action, and it's always a good time watching the two of you LP together.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I'm glad you liked it! I'll still do El Infierno and the new bits solo, but yeah, I really didn't like having an unfinished LP. And as soon as I find another good co-op for us to play...

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Here's the rest of the housecleaning, and with this, we can put Guacamelee to bed! Thanks again for watchin'!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bacter posted:

Here's the rest of the housecleaning, and with this, we can put Guacamelee to bed! Thanks again for watchin'!

Thank you again for the LP. This game looks fantastic, especially the new areas, and it was a pleasure watching you go through it.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Bacter posted:

I'm glad you liked it! I'll still do El Infierno and the new bits solo, but yeah, I really didn't like having an unfinished LP. And as soon as I find another good co-op for us to play...

Aww... does that mean Baldur's Gate is dead?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hey, that's not MY LP, I'm just a guest. I hear Mzbundifund has the next episode edited, you should all totally bug him about it, just CONSTANTLY!

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Just a quick note on the challenge rooms. For the combo ones, when you know the enemy is about to die, sometimes doing a special move or a throw to kill them off is a good idea as you get a bigger amount of hits for the combo.

Aside from that, very nice work on the LP.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Fun fact: Thanks to Intenso mode, you can beat Calaca as a chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So from a newbie's perspective, does Intenso Mode make the end boss easier or harder?

I suppose either way the good ending is harder to get.

• Locked thread