Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Lazurite doesn't seem to macerate. Is there other stuff that straight calcite ore that can produce calcite dust?

What? You can macerate lazurite ore, and lazurite itself.
If you really want to avoid having to dig out a lapis vein to get the calcite ore, you can centrifuge marble dust. You really should just get calcite ore though. One lapis vein should have more than enough.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The OP hasn't been updated since 2015 so I don't know if it is still up to date or not. Is installing mods and downgrading to certain versions simple at all? I feel kind of overwhelmed by all of the servers that seem to require different versions and different mods but I don't really know where to start and if the OP is still relevant or if things have changed.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

The OP is brutally out of date but in my experience most servers will set up a modpack for its users to grab, which makes it easy to tweak and update from the administrator side, at which point the user just has to hit the update button through whatever launcher they're using.

EDIT: I did check and Syenite hasn't posted in this thread in like two years, we're probably long overdue for a whole new thread with an actually relevant OP. God knows I'm not deep enough in the hole to be the one who puts it together, though

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hm. Guess I may as well step up. Thread title suggestions?

Edit: Tentative title so far is Minecraft Modding Megathread - Made by Miku.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 4, 2021

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What's a good mod launcher? I tried multimc but found out I can't use it because I bought minecraft using a microsoft account instead of a mojang one so I can't use multimc until they update it. I don't know what other mod launchers are still considered good and which ones are updated to allow microsoft accounts.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

What's a good mod launcher? I tried multimc but found out I can't use it because I bought minecraft using a microsoft account instead of a mojang one so I can't use multimc until they update it. I don't know what other mod launchers are still considered good and which ones are updated to allow microsoft accounts.

GDLauncher on its beta channel works with the new Microsoft accounts.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I was just going to pop into this thread to see if you guys wanted a title change or any edits to the OP, but I see you're already planning ahead of me! Shoot me a PM when the new thread is up and I can close this one.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Minecraft Modding: Fairy Fanfic Aficionados

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Minecraft Modding: Direwolf > Overwolf

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Overwolf, Under Duress

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Minecraft Mods: Sanctioned in Arizona

Alternatively, Modded Minecraft: Names Are Hard, And So Is My Pick

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 4, 2021

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Minecraft: Mods, New

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eox posted:

Overwolf, Under Duress

Think I like this one lol

Edit: Or "Why is this fabric breaking my forge!?"

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Minecraft Modding: Blightfall Reccomendations Within

but actually:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Lazurite doesn't seem to macerate. Is there other stuff that straight calcite ore that can produce calcite dust?

to add to this you can use XP buckets, but this needs at least two LV machines and thus at least 27 steel already including a turbine. centrifuging marble is a goer, but again, needs an LV machine and thus at least 18 steel. moreover, you need an equal amount of gypsum, and there's no shortcuts for that one.

mining the ore is your best bet. strip-mine the blue stuff with an iron hammer with a shitload of redstone attached.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I apologise in advance for the amount of effortpost :words: the thread is going to have but I wanted to clear a bunch of stuff up in the OP.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

to add to this you can use XP buckets, but this needs at least two LV machines and thus at least 27 steel already including a turbine. centrifuging marble is a goer, but again, needs an LV machine and thus at least 18 steel. moreover, you need an equal amount of gypsum, and there's no shortcuts for that one.

mining the ore is your best bet. strip-mine the blue stuff with an iron hammer with a shitload of redstone attached.

i am wrong about the xp buckets; there's a steam age quest to get an XP drain, you don't need LV machines. you just need enough experience to fill 128 buckets because it takes two per portion of calcite dust :q:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954051

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

What? You can macerate lazurite ore, and lazurite itself.
If you really want to avoid having to dig out a lapis vein to get the calcite ore, you can centrifuge marble dust. You really should just get calcite ore though. One lapis vein should have more than enough.

I didn't have the macerator properly connected. I had to fiddle with the steam pipes a few times but eventually got it to start doing stuff.

I also ultimately did dig out that vein without a problem, but there was some luck to that. The vein was mixed with mineshafts with a lot of monsters. Meanwhile, I'm running around with an iron chestplate that somehow has all of 4 durability left on it. Something is playing horror movie sounds beyond the usual stuff while I'm mining, but the vein itself didn't cut into any eldritch death tunnels.

I'm now struggling with gypsum.

There's been a lot of suggestions involving some pretty elaborate equipment. I'm still in the steam age and trying to make the steel ingots I need to bust out of it. I'm kind of hoping that GT:NH substantially expands once I get some steel going so I've been reaching for the first thing I find that claims to make some. I managed to steal an LV steam generator and a rolling machine from a village but I don't think that's going to do anything for me with the general technology level I have right now.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

It expands enough in LV that the in-game clipboard is a good idea to craft as your to do list will probably get longer than most people will be able to keep track of in their heads.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hah! I cheated one in for the sake of everybody I'm playing with already. I've already lost track of what we have to do!

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

new thread y'all, you don't want to be a 1.6 poster https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3954051

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i will post here alone, in support of my 1.2.5 mods. has anyone heard of Redpower