Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Problem description: Recently I attempted to install new graphics drivers in an attempt to make a game stop crashing on startup. I downloaded the latest driver installer from the NVIDIA website, but found that it would stop responding after agreeing to the license. I then tried downloading the previous driver, same problem. Then I tried another set of drivers and that caused my monitor to only show a black screen, and I had to uninstall all of my NVIDIA related drivers. That fixed the black screen problem, but now I need to reinstall and the installer still crashes.

Attempted fixes: I uninstalled all of the NVIDIA related programs from the programs and features menu and deleted the NVIDIA folder from my C: drive before attempting to install the most recent version, then did the same with the second most recent version. I then did the same with both in Safe Mode. No dice.

Recent changes: The problem was there before any changes were made.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

System specs:
GeForce GTS 250 video card. Intel GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 motherboard. Intel core i5-750 quad-core processor. 4 Gig memory. 500 Gigabyte Hard Drive. Dunno about the power supply.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Every result was either someone who got an error message beyond the point where it crashes for me or successfully installed the driver and then had another program crash. Here's hoping that the problem is just some dumb little thing I overlooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like your card is dying, that's about the right age for it. Do you have another card you can try? I would try verifying the harddrive looks healthy in Crystal Disk Info (portable edition ZIP doesn't have anime or ads), Caution or Bad means it's dying. If that looks good, see if the system can complete at least one pass of Memtest86+ without errors, and post the brand and model of your power supply.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Crystal Disk Info gave me a status of Good. I'm a bit confused by the second program you linked, it seems to want to burn something to a disk? Finally, is there a way of figuring out the brand and model of my power supply without cracking the computer open and taking a look? I'm fine with doing that if I have to, of course.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Regarding Memtest86+, you can't test the RAM while Windows is running, so you burn it to a USB flash drive and boot from it. Windows also includes a memory diagnostic you can access from Start, Search, Memory (it will reboot, run, then reboot back into Windows), but it's much less thorough. Unfortunately you do have to open the case to see what the power supply is, it only has power wires connected to the system, nothing that exchanges data.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, I'm looking at the power supply now. I can see that it's a Kingwin, but I don't see a model number and I'm not sure how to take it out. This is literally my first time poking around inside a computer. Those windows default graphics drivers are starting to look better and better.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Kingwin isn't an awful brand, though they do have models of widely varying quality. Can you take a picture of the label on the side of the power supply? Also, are you actually able to get 3D rendering working with default drivers?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Good news! I managed to get the power supply out. I took a picture of the label, but imgur doesn't work well on iPad, so you can't see it until I put this thing back together. The model is ABT-750MM.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Well, now my computer won't turn on and I am too tired to open it back up and figure out what I screwed up. I will get back to this tomorrow. Thanks for all the help so far! :)

Ariong fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I really think your videocard is just dead, it could be the power supply but I'd just replace the card and see if you still have problems. When reconnecting, remember there's two power cables to the motherboard, and at least one of them is two cable bundles clipped together.

• Locked thread