Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I was recently gifted a small USB Bluetooth dongle, and in testing it it worked fine with my phone. With that success, I decided to buy a Dual Shock 4 controller to pair it with, and somehow I've managed to completely break my bluetooth.

The original issue was that programs such as InputMapper and DS4Windows couldn't see the controller while it was paired via Bluetooth, and Windows didn't know it was game controller. I figured I'd try the classic uninstall/restart/reinstall of the bluetooth radio. After the reboot, the Bluetooth icon is completely gone from my system tray, as is Bluetooth Settings when right-clicking my PC under Devices and Printers. If I open the Bluetooth Settings window via Search, nothing happens; if I open Bluetooth Devices, the Add/Settings/Remove options at the top are greyed out. I tried deleting and reinstalling the device again, and then Windows said it couldn't find a proper driver for it(?!). Every installer I could find told me I already had newer drivers installed (?!), so I finally found a MEGA download from a random forum posted years ago; that installed. No change.

Using USBDeview, I deleted every Bluetooth driver I had installed. Then I discovered the registry key for my Bluetooth notification icon was simply GONE(?!), so I recreated it. Found out my Bluetooth service wasn't running. Set it to automatic. Uninstall, reinstall, no change.

I did discover I can still launch Bluetooth Settings by searching for 'bluetooth' in my Control Panel, and "Turn Bluetooth Radio On" is unchecked, but when I attempt to Apply or OK I get "Device Unavailable. Settings can not be saved." The radio appears normal in both Device Manager and Devices and Printers.

I'm really at my wit's end here. Any assistance with this would be greatly loving appreciated.

DXDiag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you tried plugging the dongle into a different USB port? What motherboard do you have?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
All six. No problems detecting it and identifying it and (supposedly) installing the drivers at this point. I'm on an MSI Z68A-G43 G3.

I think I'm just going to burn it to the ground and reinstall Windows tomorrow.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you tried the dongle on another machine? I'd test it on another computer and see if it behaves normally to make sure it didn't just fail after your initial test with it.

• Locked thread