Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck. marry. t-rex

What are some good professions or jobs for someone afflicted with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder to pursue? Feel free to mention other jobs for other mental illnessess, but don't talk about depression- no one cares about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

quality control in a factory that processes beans

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it would be funny if someone said a job that would not be good for someone with ocd.

Gone Fashing

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
im laughing right now just thinking about the possibilities.

i am he

Gone Fashing posted:

it would be funny if someone said a job that would not be good for someone with ocd.

fuck. marry. t-rex

I don't think it'd be funny at all personally- in fact if someone came to this thread for advice they might see it and get upset, or be led astray.

fuck. marry. t-rex

Anyway, Bean QC is right out of the question. But what is in?

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
I was diagnosed with OCD and I'm a software engineer

fuck. marry. t-rex

Gross Dude posted:

I was diagnosed with OCD and I'm a software engineer

Nice... that doesn't 'bug' you? Haha

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Air Traffic Controller.

serious answer: http://jobs.lovetoknow.com/careers-people-ocd

quote:

Jobs that provide repetition and double-checking may be suitable for some people with OCD. For example, a person with OCD may do well working in a quality control capacity, but this depends largely on how severe the OCD is. A person with severe OCD would actually have difficulties acting in a quality control capacity while a person with minor OCD would probably excel.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
depression

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

treasure bear

Gone Fashing posted:

hmmm

im thinking about all kinds of subversive answers i could give for comedy effect that would really tick off a person with ocd i can tell you

okay okay

the job im thinking of 'mess looker' theyve got to look at a mess but they're not allowed to fix it LOL

Wertjoe

Librarian

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Cumt posted:

okay okay

the job im thinking of 'mess looker' theyve got to look at a mess but they're not allowed to fix it LOL
The game dev QA guy who watches people play the game for the first time, but isn't allowed to tell them how to get past the glitches and puzzles and such cos it'd mess up the test.

blinking beacon nose

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes

DeepQantas posted:

The game dev QA guy who watches people play the game for the first time, but isn't allowed to tell them how to get past the glitches and puzzles and such cos it'd mess up the test.
this

or garbage man

e: garbage quality control?

BIG BIC SQUAD

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

but don't talk about depression- no one cares about that.

:confused:

fuck. marry. t-rex

This is helpful... but I'm having a hard time discerning "job with repition" from a normal job

landy.

blinking beacon nose posted:

this

or garbage man

e: garbage quality control?

that probably wouldn't be any less suited to somebody with ocd than any other job would be

ghost host

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
schizophrenics = children's entertainer; clown.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Chef probably

ulvir

architect, accountant, or even better forensic accountant, auditor

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
What about managing a Kosher or Halal deli, or running an autoclave or other specific lab work tasks, like dunking a batch of something into a batch of other somethings and recording it like you see in genetic testing videos

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
The jobs are all so good, how can they decide between one of them?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

blinking beacon nose

landy. posted:

that probably wouldn't be any less suited to somebody with ocd than any other job would be
point taken, nods

maybe cleaning? Everyone's all like oh man I'm SO OCD about cleaning!! I like things clean!!

It might work.

blinking beacon nose

Qwerinty posted:

The jobs are all so good, how can they decide between one of them?

very very detailed excel spreadsheet containing pros and cons and weighted utility functions and poo poo

Highly Unnecessary

librarian

Grandmother of Five

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
employer: i undertsnad u want to work in my cleaning company
ocd man: I_brush_my _teeth 200_times a_day, which_has_ruined_them and_made_them_look really_fucked_up
employer. do u think that instead of cleaning one tiny room exceptionally well in six hours that you could clean +50 rooms to an acceptable standard?
ocd man: no

fuck. marry. t-rex

ulvir posted:

architect, accountant, or even better forensic accountant, auditor

A forensic accountant sounds like the coolest type of accountant, outside of maybe spaceshuttle accountant or wizard accountant. Not sure what any of those do thougg.

blinking beacon nose posted:

point taken, nods

maybe cleaning? Everyone's all like oh man I'm SO OCD about cleaning!! I like things clean!!

It might work.

I find that is a largely pop culture portrayal.

DeepQantas

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

A forensic accountant sounds like the coolest type of accountant, outside of maybe spaceshuttle accountant or wizard accountant. Not sure what any of those do thougg.
Forensic accountant follows the money trail, spaceshuttle account balances the books in zero g (mostly rotational liquidity) and wizard accountant is a type of mathemagician.

"Pick a ledger, any ledger. Now don't show it to me..."

fuck. marry. t-rex

A lot of wizard books are ensorcelled so of course you need a wizard auditor to get to the bottom of it.

You haven't known cooked books until your checking columns on a Fire Tome.

DeepQantas

There's also Minoletta's Manuscript of Minute Margins to worry about.

weed cat

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
ulillillia is making a go of game design you could try that

I.N.R.I
Rape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

pharmacy technician is really good, you count and double count pills all day, make sure that everything is where it belongs and not expired, file paper prescriptions, and fix tiny errors in data entry to make insurances work. bonus points if you do cash handling.

as long as your compulsions aren't tied to stealing or eating pills or w/e, it's a fantastic job

• Locked thread