Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
My cat Clyde, a family member of 10 years, got out yesterday around this time when some people left our front door open. It's extremely odd that Clyde got out because he's been an indoor cat all his life, and any other time a door was open he'd go to the threshold and sit there. I guess yesterday he got a wild hair and decided to creep out and now he's gone :( Of course this happens while I'm gone and can't do anything, but my wife is beside herself with sadness and anger at those loving people, or our son who sometimes fucks with the door. We just want our buddy to come home at this point, but I'm not holding my breath. Isn't it common for cats to gently caress off for a day or so, then find their way back when they're real hungry? He still has his claws and they are sharp as gently caress, so at least he has that.

I'm real sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ya ask your neighbors not to leave food out though

Our cat took like 3 days to come back because someone else was feeding him while he was away. Eventually we found him sunbathing on a sidewalk and toweled him up and brought him home.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Our housing office put out a housing wide email with his description and name, and our phone numbers. The humane society says that it can take a day or two because he's probably hiding and doesn't want to move, and that he's also likely within a few blocks of our house.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Do you have a screen door? When my boyfriend's cat went missing we put a dish of his food inside the screen so that he could see and smell it, but not get to it (so that he didn't just eat and wander off again). A day later he was meowing at the door for us to let him in.

aerialsilks
Nov 28, 2013

please stop telling me about how you "humanely euthanized" your hamster by drowning it in its ball
Get box or carrier, stuff it with blankets or clothes that smell like you/the cat. Don't leave food out since that'll just attract pests.

on spec
Feb 2, 2014

he'll probably die from old age before you find him

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

on spec posted:

he'll probably die from old age before you find him

I hope you die first.

candywife
Mar 3, 2011
My cat is an indoor cat too, and sometimes my roommate forgets to close the front door. She's gotten out a few times, and if I try to run after her or grab her she will bolt. So what works really well, is to get her to come to me by shaking a bag of her cat food or treats around. She hears that noise and will run straight to me and demand some.
If she's been outside too long and has gotten too far away to hear the kibble, I'll take a can and hit a fork against it. I know it's too late for that now but, if you ever feed your cat wet food as a special treat just tap on the can with a fork first a bunch. They'll associate that noise with omgdeliciousmushygoodness and come running every time.

I also have a tag on her collar that says INDOOR CAT in huge letters, because I know a lot of people let their cats be indoor/outdoor and most people aren't going to call the number on a collar if they see a cat outside.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I'll have the wife try that food bag shaking trick, along with maybe putting some stuff out in our screened in porch that smells like us.

codespace
May 3, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I'll have the wife try that food bag shaking trick, along with maybe putting some stuff out in our screened in porch that smells like us.

Any update? :ohdear:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Put her litterbox outside

Elaieva
Feb 18, 2011
Second the litterbox suggestion.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Litter box and food are great ideas, especially if it's the food you normally feed them. Check for other places they could be eating and put up some posters with contact details, if possible.

Don't worry right now, because I've had indoor cats escape and come back after three and ten days on two occasions. And don't worry later, because the worst case is that your cat is kicking rear end and having fun somewhere else.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Good luck, you're living one of my worst nightmares. Someone around here lost a cat and posted a flier asking for people to call if they saw the cat or heard cats fighting. I guess the idea was that you might not see the cat, but you might hear fighting if your cat is stepping in on some other cats turf.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this happened and we never found our cat, we live in an inner city but have seen coyotes, figure it got loving killed :(

im sure your cat will be fine though and not eaten by coyotes!!!

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

your cat might have gone off to have loving stray cat relationship so dont give up just yet!

Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

its like that disney movie where the dogs are dating but with cats

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
For those of you whom are concerned, Clyde has been spotted by a couple neighbors in a playground a block or so away.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
This happened to me last year and it sucked. My cat did not come back. The advice that people are giving seems good to me though I did all those things too, to no avail. I hope your cat comes back but it's worth remembering that if it doesn't, he is probably out there living a pretty good life because cats are wicked good survivors. Good luck.

SAustria
Jul 25, 2007
The first time Sir William escaped he came back the next day. Every time after that he would return in two days tops. Every once and awhile we'll forget to close a door or window and he'll bolt. Try not to be too mad at the humans who let him out, it's just a cat.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
Current Clyde status?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
i hope ur cat is okay =(

• Locked thread