Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
MEN OF WAR ASSAULT SQUAD 2

You can get this game from Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/244450/

What is the game about?

War. Shooting things, blowing poo poo up. It’s a real time tactical level World War 2 game with infantry, tanks, and planes that work rather poorly. You most of the time do not have much more than ten men and some vehicles. The objectives can go from rather mundane “hold this for an hour” to a bit more complex ones. The missions themselves are just a way to make you fight against the AI or players, though.

You can choose from Brits, Americans, Soviets, Germans, and Japanese.

What makes it worth playing?

Well, you see, the game uses actually simulated munitions instead of a statistical model. When the infantryman fires his rifle, the bullet actually travels with penetration values that get lower as it flies farther. Same applies to tanks. If you see the enemy, nothing prevents you from firing at a wall of a house between you and hitting the tank. Will it penetrate? Maybe, depending on the armor on the point you hit, the penetration the bullet has and all that jazz. If your tank commander is out from the hatch, a stray bullet can take his head off.

Or you can use your flamethrower to set the tree on fire next to a fortification and waiting for the fire to spread. Buildings are also destructible, so you can open entrances with explosives, plow through with tanks and watch the defences fall.
In addition, you can take a direct control of a tank or a soldier, and aim and walk/drive on a 3rd Person shooter basis to do something special or tricky.

Vehicles have no hitpoints, but components instead. If you use your AT gun to fire at the tracks, the tank will stop but won’t be hampered in any other way. Or if you score a lucky hit, the commander might die, reducing crewmembers. Or the round penetrates, ignites the ammo and your target disappears into the mist. While the damage is realistic, your men can also repair some of it with the repair kits.

Which brings us to the other cool feature. Inventories.
Everything your vehicles use and your men use and carry is simulated. The men have ammo, their helmet, their first aid kits, their rifle and a shovel. If they receive a non-fatal blow to the head, their helmet might fly off. And when they run out of ammo, you need to either micromanage them to scavenge bodies for more, or you can send them to an ammo box where they automatically get the type of ammo their firearm needs.

Is this game grognard game?

No, not really. First of all, the game is fairly accessible and it doesn’t actually act as that great of a simulator, mostly because while many elements and functions are fairly realistic, as are the physics, the end result is a semi-realistic holabaloo. It’s not uncommon for one player controlled dude to run up to a destroyed tank, stealing off the .50cal machinegun, putting it against a wall and completely obliterating the enemies in the area, then smoke grenading a cover for himself, running to another destroyed tank, taking the repair kit, repairing the tank and driving off.
Most of the individual components of that episode work fairly realistically, but the end result ends up being Michael Bay. And perhaps that is the draw of the game.

The AI is also a bit dumb and is way better when defending. It often resorts to brutal human wave tactics also.

Multiplayer?

Hell yeah, the meat and bones. Both versus and coop are great, especially since coop is up to 8 players. The less stuff each person has to manage, the more enjoyable the game gets and being able to communicate and do stuff together on the bigger maps is a big plus. Versus modes have frontline mode where players take turn fortifying and attacking each other, point control and deathmatch. Up to 4v4 versus players allowed.

Goonmods!?

Glad you asked. THe vanilla game has artificially limited ranges for tanks and firearms to make the game more accesible. Many of the explosives have also been dialed down to help with not being pummeled all to hell when howitzers from the edge of the map start firing at you.
Luckily, I and some of my nerd friends have made a semi-popular realism mod to make sure you can lose in the most aggravating ways against the AI while they absolutely insanely dominate you.

Get it from here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=337053725

Goons? Playing with goons?

Sure. Steam group where anyone can make an announcement so that you can find people to play with.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/menofwargoons

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Reserved because I like to say stupid poo poo.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Necroing this thread since I just found it. I used to play a load of MoW several years ago fothe original game and Assault Squad 1. Bought AS 2 but haven't played much due to the fact that my old group seems to have stopped playing regularly. Are there any regular groups here at all or am I stuck with trying to scrap by with awful Russian lagger players?

• Locked thread