Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

trying to imagine what a stock market for Velen of all loving places would look like, and I gotta say I am coming up blank

Peasants trading different kinds of thin soups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got a lump of bread today!*

*Stock market crashes.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

Peasants trading different kinds of thin soups

The "stock" market

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trading big on my unspecified creature bone futures

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The most trusted name in wealth management: Marrow Lynch

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The "stock" market

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

trying to imagine what a stock market for Velen of all loving places would look like, and I gotta say I am coming up blank

You'd have merchants pooling resources into ships and shipments or betting for or against voyage success. There's a ton of interesting irl historical poo poo you could do. It's been so loving long, but I'm fairly sure there hasn't been any allusion to a trading company in any of the Witchers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Novigrad is basically an Italian city state like Venice or Florence so it's set basically right before the big trading companies like the East India Company started to get going. Basically Djikstra is trying to speed run the historical process that saw first the Italians, then the Dutch, and finally the British develop and implement capitalism.