Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Dire Wombat posted:

OoE is hard enough that you actually have to learn attack patterns and adapt your glyph setup to the challenge at hand.

Until you get Nitesco.

Which makes me think of crackers every time I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Q posted:

I'm not your manager, do what you want.

Cool (archer reference, nerd)

So, ninjas. Besides sharpened hunks of metal and the totally-true, definitely-not-legends-made-up-for-kabuki-theater-poison-strings, what did they do?

Short answer: spy. Ninjas were boring.

You need somebody to infiltrate another lord's land and learn the lay of his land? Ninja. You need somebody to study an important person's habits to better understand their schedule, likes, dislikes, etc? Ninja. You need somebody to...well, any boring piece of observation? You guessed it!

Ninja are basically spies. I mean that in a literal, real-world definition of what spies do, not the Archer romanticized-and-also-hilaritized version of spycraft. The vast majority of ninjas were just observers in costumes of varying prestige, learning simple facts such as the current expectance of that region's agricultural exports, and the minority were intricate undercover agents who befriended high-ranking government officials to uncover their weaknesses or exploits.

The killers? An even smaller minority. It'd be like finding a hitman in modern america. Nearly impossible, and the few takers would kill you instead under another lord's bequest, probably. The real professionals are still real professional, and no way any lovely newbie or has-been is going to suddenly have a person trained in weaponry, stealth, and camouflage just fall into their lap when political sabotage and subterfuge would be at an understandably high demand.

"Ninja" isn't this untouchable honorable skilled status, but there definitely existed an upper echelon of sorts that handled the real "Ninja poo poo" as most people would understand it, vs the low-level intelligence stuff people take for granted.

Look at it this way: Goemon was basically Japanese Robin Hood for many years. Stole from the nobles, gave to the peasants, probably pocketed way more than any "generous donations" he ever gave. He's so legendary that Kabuki Theater not only gave him a unique, legendary assassination style, it glorified his assumed legendary execution (being boiled to death). Imagine what not-Robin-Hood-but-historically-way-more-influential did with his professional time.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Nice LP. Aria of Sorrow was fun, maybe the first Castlevania that got me seriously interested in the series. Watched episode 7 and I think you did a good job keeping things informative and interesting. Ghost was definitely a nice attack soul, it might have been my favorite until Lightning Doll.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Tallgeese posted:

Until you get Nitesco.

Which makes me think of crackers every time I see it.

Which is also when the structure of the levels changes to a more conventional Igavania style, instead of linear 8/16 bit stages. This seems like a fairly deliberate shift. Shanoa has to earn the right to be an Igavania protagonist. :v:

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS
This post has nothing to do with Ninjas.

Episode 08 - Hangin' in the Garden

Just finished some soul grinding right after recording the commentary for this video, so we'll have some lovely new toys to play with just in time for one of my favorite boss fights. Stay tuned!

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
You sort of pointed it out yourself during the playthrough: The soul grinding has given you quite a few levels, eradicating the difficulty curve of the game. The only payoff we potentially have for it is a chance to see ALL THE SOULS. It feels like it would do better with a normal playthrough at the soul level the game 'expects' you to be at, and then have supplementary videos of you using all the souls or a high-level high-soul run.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Valgaav posted:

You sort of pointed it out yourself during the playthrough: The soul grinding has given you quite a few levels, eradicating the difficulty curve of the game. The only payoff we potentially have for it is a chance to see ALL THE SOULS. It feels like it would do better with a normal playthrough at the soul level the game 'expects' you to be at, and then have supplementary videos of you using all the souls or a high-level high-soul run.
Perhaps refrain from soul grinding until the end of the game and show off some more of the souls in new game+? I don't know, just an idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's not like this is a difficult game either way.

• Locked thread